Skip to content

Move ends

Would any of you move ends to move from the terrace to the away end to have that as home end

Comments

• Might be difficult squeezing the likes of Sunderland, Portsmouth, Oxford, Luton, Charlton or Coventry fans into the Valley end.

• It's a shame the acoustics are so poor in the terrace, if we are ever flush with cash a better roof for the terrace would do wonders for the atmosphere

• I'm only occasionally on the Terrace but I'd say no.

Without wishing to derail the topic, I wondered if there'd been any feedback regarding the 'Safe Standing/Seating' trial in the Frank Adams? Any potential switch/move of the Terrace would surly involve this innovation.

• Someone has to do this wind up thread every couple of years or so don't they!

Probably the single biggest thing you could do to upset the majority of fans, probably even more so than renaming the ground.

• Not a good idea logistically, Far easier to police up to 2000 fans into their current stand than to send them to the Valley End through a full car park. The possibility of damaged cars every other week would be a nightmare.

• Just this once I will agree with @Cambridge_Blue and say 'No'.

• Tame boy is correct

• The difference in acoustics is striking. I would be up for moving for that reason but not fussed otherwise and can recognise the practical considerations that @tameboy mentions.

• And what about the FA cup ticket allocation....sort it out!

• As I understand it we wouldn't be allowed to do it, even if we wanted to, for the reasons @tameboy gives.

• Spending money we don't have to undo the work done over a decade ago to turn that stand seated in order to make it sound like more people are singing after 4 defeats in a row. Sure. Makes sense.

• I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there's close to zero difference in the acoustics between the two ends. Away fans just tend to be noisier. Last time I stood in the terrace there were about 30 people making all the noise, they're never going to compete with a few hundred away fans all going for it.

• @drcongo said:
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there's close to zero difference in the acoustics between the two ends. Away fans just tend to be noisier. Last time I stood in the terrace there were about 30 people making all the noise, they're never going to compete with a few hundred away fans all going for it.

The away end does have better acoustics, having been in every stand for a fair few games. Yes away fans generally make more noise/ number, but there's been occasions where~10 away fans from somewhere like Morecambe can be heard across the pitch, whereas anything other than a rocking terrace gets largely lost by the half way line

• I once heard an away fan whisper to another about the lack of crisp in the kiosk from my lofty perch in the Woodlands. The acoustics are so much better in the away end

• from the Woodlands? I'm surprised it wasn't drowned out by the sound of a pin dropping.

• If both ends could just keep it down a bit...

• Definitely hear more from even the most bootleg set of rival fans in that stand, versus our lot. And I sit closer to the home end than away by a good couple of blocks.

• @our_frank said:
    from the Woodlands? I'm surprised it wasn't drowned out by the sound of a pin dropping.

POTD!

• There's always this debate every now and then, though beyond the occasional segregating of the Hillbottom Road end for comps and/or exceptionally high attendances for crucial games at the end of the season it always falls down on:

1) The choice of standing or seating is one that is appreciated by a sizeable proportion of our supporters
    2) The police don't want visiting fans stuck away in the Valley End.

The biggest problem with noise from the Valley End is simply that numbers of people singing are too low, and there are too many people no singing who 'absorb' the noise from those that are singing, hence 50 people singing in the Valley End, surrounded by 1,000 who aren't singing, being outsung by 50 people in the away end with no one else around.
    You can moan about the acoustics of the low roof all you like, if people just bloody sang we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The atmosphere at the Coventry game was as despondent and quiet from the time the teams came out as I can remember for a 6,000+ crowd. Usually that sort of thing only happens when the superfans who seem to decide what gets sung are having a hissy fit and stopping signing because one of their mates has been banned.
    Either that, or everyone in the Valley End had the mother of all hangovers and couldn't face doing anything other than berating the referee.

• Sadly, although they are wonderful at away games, Wycombe fans tend to be rather subdued at home games.

• I have been informed that the terrace in full song can be heard from as far away as West wycombe Rd and lower Downley

• @glasshalffull said:
    Sadly, although they are wonderful at away games, Wycombe fans tend to be rather subdued at home games.

Some of my most treasured memories are of magical atmospheres at Adams Park

• Always treasure a rarity! ?

• @ReadingMarginalista said:
    There's always this debate every now and then, though beyond the occasional segregating of the Hillbottom Road end for comps and/or exceptionally high attendances for crucial games at the end of the season it always falls down on:

1) The choice of standing or seating is one that is appreciated by a sizeable proportion of our supporters
    2) The police don't want visiting fans stuck away in the Valley End.

The biggest problem with noise from the Valley End is simply that numbers of people singing are too low, and there are too many people no singing who 'absorb' the noise from those that are singing, hence 50 people singing in the Valley End, surrounded by 1,000 who aren't singing, being outsung by 50 people in the away end with no one else around.
    You can moan about the acoustics of the low roof all you like, if people just bloody sang we wouldn't be having this discussion.

The atmosphere at the Coventry game was as despondent and quiet from the time the teams came out as I can remember for a 6,000+ crowd. Usually that sort of thing only happens when the superfans who seem to decide what gets sung are having a hissy fit and stopping signing because one of their mates has been banned.
    Either that, or everyone in the Valley End had the mother of all hangovers and couldn't face doing anything other than berating the referee.

@ReadingMarginalista Spot on, especially last paragraph but one.