Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

Comments

• @prufrock_91 I don't think I'm mistaken, but I'm sure our drummer was doing his bit throughout much of yesterday afternoon. Trouble is, in an increasing number of games recently, both home and away, the fans have no longer responded to him. At a few recent away games, I've even picked up a small undercurrent of hostility towards him, which is both strange and a shame.
    I'm not particularly blaming the guys behind the goal for the lack of noise, the Frank Adams was equally poor. It just seemed to me that the whole atmosphere was flat and not conducive to a stirring performance from the players.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    @prufrock_91 I don't think I'm mistaken, but I'm sure our drummer was doing his bit throughout much of yesterday afternoon. Trouble is, in an increasing number of games recently, both home and away, the fans have no longer responded to him. At a few recent away games, I've even picked up a small undercurrent of hostility towards him, which is both strange and a shame.
    I'm not particularly blaming the guys behind the goal for the lack of noise, the Frank Adams was equally poor. It just seemed to me that the whole atmosphere was flat and not conducive to a stirring performance from the players.

There is definite hostility to the drummer. A lot of it is immature terrace politics, and the way it is expressed is often cruel and unnecessary by the other side of the terrace.

Saying that, I do understand the frustration at times, when he endlessly bangs the drum for prolonged periods when no-one else is singing.

The drum is best used sparingly, it creates more impact and atmosphere that way. A non-stop thumping drowning out any organic chanting is not good.

He plays it too long and too often because he's a very passionate fan and just wants everyone behind the team, but I believe it is to his own detriment.

• @prufrock_91 , are you in the woodlands?
    If you've ever been around the young drummer lad, you'll know, if anything he bangs it too much! Often to a few comments of the sort from those around him!

Obviously up in the Woodlands we can barely hear it, but that's a ground issue, not down to his efforts.

I personally hate drums as they're super annoying and ruin the game if you're near them, but appreciate the efforts of the younger crowd doing it (when i'm safely miles away )

• I think many on here are not giving too much credit to Coventry, their work rate and closing down was very impressive. And in there number 20 Tom Baylis possible the most cultured and well balanced midfielder ive seen at Adams Park for a long while. I will be suprised if he's not playing at a higher level in the near future.

• No problems @bookertease. I am always slow understanding jokes, particularly when politics is involved!

• Coventry were indeed, very good, a decent attacking side and sadly we did not look like the team that beat Peterborough or Barnsley. If no JJ available in ten days I hope they do some set-piece practice! Samuel is a great tricky forward, but I think yesterday was a Bayo day if ever there was one!

• @Wendoverman , I dare say the Samuel/Bayo question will run for the rest of the season.
    It's the classic "target man" issue isn't It. When you have one you often think you're lacking mobility, and when you have that lighter weight mobile player, you then think you need a targetman.

We looked a bit dare I say light weight across midfield and attack yesterday as we've attempted to move to a more ball playing football side.
    It wasn't so long ago we were absolutely stacked with height and strength.

• I did think the noise from the terrace yesterday was pathetic and as I don't stand there I'm not sure what noise I may have made would have helped. I also tbought the ref was pathetic but again didn't make any attempt to take over.

Coventry have impressed me when I have seen them. They seem very well organised defensively and have pace and power in the key areas. We lost the midfield as a result and had to play longer. I agree the no. 20 for them was a quality player.

• I hope Bayo goes to Notts County as rumoured I really do. We need to play football and he stops us doing that even though it should be possible to play football with him in the team.

• @rmjlondon said:
    I hope Bayo goes to Notts County as rumoured I really do. We need to play football and he stops us doing that even though it should be possible to play football with him in the team.

1/10 troll attempt.

• This Wycombe season is following the classic "three acts". If this was a movie, we have had the slow start, then the CMS goal against Scunthorpe kicked us into the first act happy montage of wins and celebrations. We are now bang in the second act, where the heroes face new adversity, and uncertainty abounds.

Fear not, this type of movie ends with a slow motion victory lap, and an Oscar nomination for the Rock for his emotional portrayal of Adebayo Akinfenwa.

• @Malone 'tis true. In patches yesterday (and in the past few matches I've seen actually) we've played some really decent stuff on the floor which suits a sparky little fellow who can turn the defender and run onto balls. After about 50 minutes yesterday it was clear to my non-footballing brain eyes that it was not working and we started hoofing rather than passing. Had Gareth been able to hear my red-faced shouted instructions Bayo would have been on at 1 -0, Alex perhaps not injured and we might have had a shot. It is no accident that the best shots we had were from Kashket and the big man. Gareth admitted afterwards that sometimes you have to mix it and go long...he should have mixed it and gone long a bit earlier for me. I like both Bayo and Alex by the by.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@rmjlondon said:
    I hope Bayo goes to Notts County as rumoured I really do. We need to play football and he stops us doing that even though it should be possible to play football with him in the team.

1/10 troll attempt.

Don't put him on quote. It ruins us putting his nonsense on hide.

• @Wendoverman said:
    @Malone 'tis true. In patches yesterday (and in the past few matches I've seen actually) we've played some really decent stuff on the floor which suits a sparky little fellow who can turn the defender and run onto balls. After about 50 minutes yesterday it was clear to my non-footballing brain eyes that it was not working and we started hoofing rather than passing. Had Gareth been able to hear my red-faced shouted instructions Bayo would have been on at 1 -0, Alex perhaps not injured and we might have had a shot. It is no accident that the best shots we had were from Kashket and the big man. Gareth admitted afterwards that sometimes you have to mix it and go long...he should have mixed it and gone long a bit earlier for me. I like both Bayo and Alex by the by.

Samuel has had quite a workload this last 6 weeks, so it's probably not surprising something had to give with him eventually. He must be right up there in the fouled players stats.
    CMS is particularly unlucky to have seen such little game time I think, as he was in good form before Samuel emerged.

• It's a long, long season and we're probably more than halfway to safety already, so although the last four games have been miserable, there no reason to think the ship is sinking yet.

While it is disappointing to hear GA revert to the 'we've got no money,' as soon as things go badly, it's probably true and not a surprise. Our loanees have left, but that's how the system works. In the next few days we can expect the news of Saunders release and Gape's sale which should give us enough room to at least have a conversation with Millwall and Watford, and continue to spread the net far and wide in search of raw talent. This is an area that GA should inspire our confidence in.

'Pure uneducated guesswork' here, but it seems like Thompson has turned down a contract offer and is looking to try his luck somewhere. Good luck to him if that's the case. Footballers careers are short and we shouldn't begrudge him the opportunity to make as much money as he can while he can.

• Agree about CMS @Malone

• edited January 2019

Has anything pointed to a Gape sale, aside from there being no news of a renewal?

I'd put that in the same ball park as your self admission about Thompson being guesswork.
    I'd be quite surprised to see him move elsewhere, bearing in mind not that long ago he was barely playing, and has cemented himself as a regular. Contracts take time, there doesn't necessarily mean anything is going wrong with it. He's here until the end of Jan isn't he?

• There was I thinking Gape playing yesterday and as captain meant that he was unlikely to be going in January. It could be a strange move for Thompson as @Malone points out above. I thought no-one was exactly banging down the door for him before we signed him and we probably put a limit on the contract until January for financial reasons. If he had been crap we could have unloaded him. As it happens I reckon he'll stay. But I am guessing.

• I think the fact Thompson himself has been quoted talking about contract talks is a pretty promising sign. JJ and others have taken a reasonably long time in the past to sort a renewal, so i'd say it's simple due diligence on both sides.

Having said that, as decent as he's been, I think we'd move on, replace him without huge issues.
    Pierre was the last player we lost that I was really gutted by. Just outrageous power pace and strength. Stewart is the closest we have, but misses 3 months a year.
    In many ways we're a better team since he went, but one look at the goals against shows we're far from a tight ship at the back.

• If we do lose Gape, Thompson or Saunders, what central midfielders are we left with? Just Bean and Bloomfield.

We'd need an entirely new starting central duo. I think its essential we only lose one of the two out of Gape and Thompson or it could take weeks or months until we have a cohesive midfield.

• The normally reliable COTN has Thompson's contract expiring at the beginning of Jan not the end, supported by it being reported as a five month contract with new contracts starting on 1 August. Whether Thompson has turned down a new contract or the clubs financial situation not allowing us to offer him one is unknown.

I admire Floyd's sanguinity at the potential loss before the next game of Fred, Williams, Morris, Thompson, Gape (plus Fox and Saunders) but can't honestly say I share it. I suspect our potential investors would not wish/allow their investment to be so weakened at the very start of their investment, so must fear that this provides further evidence that the proposed investment may now be in severe doubt. Without it, survival in the division at least must be very much in doubt. Any funds from a Hause sell-on would be very welcome but right now I would bite your hand off for 20th place.

• Just to clarify, you think that if we fail to secure outside investment then we are likely to be relegated this season?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @fame_46 said:
    Would a Hause windfall provide funds for Gaz or more realistically manage any deficit or outstanding debt to be paid.......

Almost certainly would be used to pay off debt wouldn't it.

The investors knew the loan agreements of those players when they sat down at the Trust meeting a few weeks ago.

I really don't think their view is so short-term that they would be dissuaded to invest merely due to players from Shrewsbury, Millwall and Watford reserves returning to their parent clubs.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • They are in it for the 'fun journey' aren't they...I'm surprised they are not wiring transfer money over right now in lieu of a positive vote...

• @fame_46 said:
    Would a Hause windfall provide funds for Gaz or more realistically manage any deficit or outstanding debt to be paid.......

Would help towards paying off part of the American's loan if the proposed sale goes tits up.

• edited January 2019

@eric_plant said:
    Just to clarify, you think that if we fail to secure outside investment then we are likely to be relegated this season?

rather depends on just how bad the financial situation is without investment. As we are losing £600k per annum with no obvious way of funding that (apart from hoping that we have sell-ons from Hause and possibly Harris) and if we are really to lose Gape, Morris, Thompson , Fred, Williams over the next couple of weeks, I would have sadly thought there was a very real chance of slipping into the bottom four.

• no way we're getting relegated this season, have a bit more faith in Gaz and the lads please

• As long as we keep either Gape or Thompson, I remain confident. There is an overlap between divisions, and last season's L2 team is good enough to stay up, especially with Allsop, McCarthy and Samuel added to the mix.

Also, Bloomers was playing great before his injury, and I have no doubt he will continue to contribute once he begins to see game time.