Skip to content

Local football - January 5th

With our scheduled match at Blackpool postponed due to the FA Cup, here are some local footballing attractions that may tempt you. Remember fresh air is better that being a couch potato! All games kick off at 3pm:

NATIONAL LEAGUE NORTH:

Brackley Town v Ashton United

NATIONAL LEAGUE SOUTH:

St Albans City v Oxford City
Wealdstone v Dartford

SOUTHERN LGE PREMIER SOUTH:

Chesham Utd v Beaconsfield Town

SOUTHERN LGE DIV 1 CENTRAL:

Aylesbury FC v Welwyn Garden City

HELLENIC LEAGUE DIV 1 EAST:

Penn & Tylers Green v Milton United
** Check kick-off time **

SPARTAN STH MIDS LGE PREM DIV:

Tring Athletic v Crawley Green

SPARTAN STH MIDS LGE DIV 1:

Amersham Town v Buckingham Ath
Risborough Rangers v Ampthill Town

Further afield, game of the day is in the National League: Leyton Orient v Salford City.

My own choice is an Isthmian nostalgia day: Corinthian Casuals v Harlow Town if anyone saw the recent BT Sport documentary about the historical link between Corinthian Casuals and the development of football in Brazil, notably Corinthians of Sao Paolo. The club embodies everything that AFC Wimbledon doesn’t anymore.

Comments

• One to note, and not too far afield from AP - Hayes and Yeading v Molesey. H&Y brilliant to watch this season and always my first choice when not at Wycombe. Nice new ground and top scorers this season in non league steps 1-4. Certainly an entertaining side to watch this year!

• @BenWWFC, I've been meaning to see H&Y's new ground for a while now. They have gone goal crazy this season, 69 in their 16 Bostik South Central matches, last four league games - 9-1, 6-0, 5-1, 5-1. I see that Scott Donnelly's goal tally this season is into double figures. Their winger Josh Chamberlain is a good player, seen him a few times for Berko.

• What can people tell me about this lad Josh Kelly at Maidenhead?

I've heard good things but haven't seen him play other than (admittedly impressive) clips on twitter

Worth a punt? Potentially good enough for league 1?

• @eric_plant

Here are a few clips...

He's good but haven't seen enough of him to answer your question.

• Some rather sad news about Buckingham Town. The Sports Shots match report (http://sportsshots.org.uk/?p=40091) of their 2-2 Spartan South Midlands D1 draw on News Year Day at Buckingham Athletic (which I attended), states that Town have now renamed themselves as Milton Keynes Borough, and changed their club colours and badge. They have apparently given up hope of returning home. The club folded in May due to a lack of money and volunteers, but had a late reprieve and carried on this season.

Formed in 1883, they were evicted from their Ford Meadow ground in 2011 (now owned by the University of Buckingham), spent a season at Winslow United, before settling at the Manor Fields ground in Bletchley. This was also where the previous Milton Keynes Borough club had played, before they went out of existence in 1993. I note that Milton Keynes Borough Football Club Limited was incorporated on 2 August 2018, so presumably this named change was planned in the summer. The name change is not reflected yet on the SSML site.

Town's biggest day was when they lost 2-0 at home to Frank Clark's Leyton Orient in the FA Cup 1st Round in 1984, in front of a sell-out 3000 when the town had a population of 7500. Glyn Creaser is their current First Team Coach.

• Sorry to hear that. Slightly tempered by it (Ford Meadow) being one of the few grounds I actually experienced violent behaviour following a B&B cup game in the mid-70s. Strange times indeed back then!

• I saw us fortunately win 2-1at Ford Meadow thanks to two Declan Link goals in the B&B in 85.
    Buckingham had England and Northants batsmen Wayne Larkins in their line up that day.

• Talking of Maidenhead, I haven't noticed it mentioned that former gasroom legend Dave Tarpey is now back at maidenhead on loan presumably aiding his recovery from long term injury. Just a couple of subs appearances so far.

• Worth a look surely?

• Corinthian Casuals 0 Harlow Town 0

Some goalless draws are very exciting & have you on the edge of your seat. This match had you on the edge of your seat more because you’d fallen asleep & were about to inadvertently slide off it.

I wanted to see how C-Cs are faring these days and also what the standard of the Bostik Premier League (Isthmian) is like. The match was disappointing, especially as Harlow had to play 70 minutes without one of their centre-halves who was sent off for clearly denying a goal-scoring opportunity as last man. C-Cs were poor up front and crosses from the wide position lacked accuracy & often landed short. Harlow were limited to breakaways but offered little in front of goal.

The standard was poor compared to its equivalent - the Southern League Premier Division. In fact this game was more on a par with the Spartan South Midlands Premier games I saw last season.

Nevertheless there is a good atmosphere amongst the C-Cs faithful (att 244) and all the Brazilian flags around the ground added some colour. Their chocolate & pink colours are unique in football and their officials were very welcoming. Always worth a visit if you’re in the Tolworth area & there’s a game on.