Skip to content

Match day thread: Scunthorpe

Comments

• It will be interesting to see what we do today. I don't want to do what we have be doing for the last few away games by playing 4-3-3. We also need to rest players for Coventry City on Tuesday. Let's see how we do today.

• Why not try 4-4-2 with Kashket and Samuel up front against a side struggling with injuries?

• I'd be happy with that

• Yeah, go for it. Run ‘em ragged.

• 2 hardest working Fowards in the squad easily

• I think CMS would have something to say about that.
    I love Kashket's style, but hard working isn't necessarily something i'd say about him over most of our players? Certainly not to a Samuel/CMS level

• Well there you have it, Samuel and Kashket both in

• 4 changes. Looks like 4-4-2.

• @robin , nicely called!

It was time for Stewart to come back in.
    Interesting that Freeman gets in in front of Paris, yet often can't get in ahead of him on the bench

• edited December 2018

So with Samuel and Kashket, we've got two young, pacy, inventive players up front, without the experience usually brought by an Akinfenwa or a CMS.

Could go really well, could go really badly.

I'm excited.

• @Malone said:
    I think CMS would have something to say about that.
    I love Kashket's style, but hard working isn't necessarily something i'd say about him over most of our players? Certainly not to a Samuel/CMS level

I agree up to a certain extent. But Kashket does put in a shift and is very effective.

• I am away so cannot attend, anyone know what frequency if any I can listen to commentary?

• 4-3-3, Kashket left. Samuel central and Fred right.

• @Malone said:
    @robin , nicely called!

It was time for Stewart to come back in.
    Interesting that Freeman gets in in front of Paris, yet often can't get in ahead of him on the bench

Really @Malone ? He was unwell last time out I believe but I don’t recall too many, if any, occasions when Paris pipped him to the bench. He has been very unlucky not to get more game time.

• It's on medium wave 3 counties radio about 650 mw

• The stage is surely set for the (unfairly?) yellow carded Alex Samuel to be replaced at an early stage by Bayo Akinfenwa. Not sure how that will impact on Nick Freeman in his role behind the front two as hoofing forward wouldn’t suit that formation..

• It’s a 4-3-3 that looks more like a 4-1-4-1 most of the time. Samuel up top and Kashket & Fred offering the main support when attacking.

Scunthorpe have offered nothing and but for a serious Allsop howler we’d be discussing a dominant first where we’d had one disallowed and another off the inside of the post.

Need to start taking our chances, simple as that.

• Sounds like the perfect time for the big man.

• We could and should be 2-0 or 3-0 up. One of those days where a great performance has no reward (so far).

• Oh, and Freeman has been superb.

• Dare I say it, but no points over Christmas, a huge vote on the club's future in mid-Jan with us losing money in the current system... the possibility of this current side with a few players lost to balance the financial books could make that 8 point gap between us and the relegation zone a lot smaller. By all means it sounds like we huffed and puffed today, but that's 3 losses in a row to teams who before the game was played were below us in the table. Them's the ones we need to be winning.

• Seven more wins puts in the mid 50 points range. No need to panic.

• Let’s start by beating Coventry (!!) on Tuesday and going above them - big city boys.

• @micra said:
    Let’s start by beating Coventry (!!) on Tuesday and going above them - big city boys.

Yes @micra, a very good time to change things and put something on the League record against Coventry as we've only beaten them once at AP in the League Cup in 1993! Win and we could move up into the top half of the table if results are kind to us. Come on Wycombe!

• @micra said:
    Let’s start by beating Coventry (!!) on Tuesday and going above them - big city boys.

I will be drinking in the Chiltern Taps with my 1st cousin (once removed) and his wife prior to the game. He is 100% Cov and I need bragging rights if they are getting a lift back to the station (fear not, the good Lady Teacher her indoors will be driving). COYB!

• @micra, maybe a perception thing then.
    With our midfield and attacking options though, not sure he's due any more starts then he's getting. Unfortunate in that regard I suppose. He's still young enough to stick it out though. Paris must be getting itchy feet though.

• No points is no points but feels very different to after Burton. Much more drive with Freeman, Kashket and Fred all on the pitch and we played well enough to not be especially worried

• We need to play a better team In the league soon.
    Losses to 2 of the bottom 3 teams in Wimbledon and Scunthorpe.

• These are the more disappointing losses, as I think we really well aside from a goalie howler and a lack of clinical finishing. Freeman justified the cries of the 'Free Freeman' club, of which I am a card carrying member.

I hate the fact we have Coventry next - the last three matches against them have been frustrating games we have lost by the odd goal, including a Brownie howler last year from a speculative shot, followed by a late penalty given away at home, then Rocky missing what would have been an amazing equalizer earlier this season. We don't just owe them one!

The sad thing about the disallowed goal (from watching on iFollow) is that if Kashket does not make that run behind the goalie, it still goes in, and we probably go on to win comfortably.