Skip to content

Harriman & Saunders

Anyone konw what the story is with Harriman & Saunders?
Not in Ainsworth plans anymore? Something happen? And if so, what?

Comments

• Harriman is injured. It's not that he is being left out. I think if Fred or Randell DON'T stay in January, he will play as a RM. Saunders is anyones guess.

• Fred already sorted isn't he? And Watford don't really need Randell at the moment. As for the other two Gareth isn't returning my calls.

• @Wendoverman If you want Gareth to ring you back, simply say it's Richie calling.

• I spoke to Michael Harriman a few weeks ago about an hour before kick off and he seemed far from happy that he hadn’t even made the bench. He confirmed that he was fit and available for selection. I did my Basil Fawlty “kyuuh” with an upward shake of the head and it seems that several other people had reacted similarly.
    As we have seen on here (or was it FB or Twitter ?) Sam Saunders’ swimwear business is doing swimmingly and trade with the Premier League boys (and more widely no doubt) is apparently brisk.

@thedieharder (who joined last month) has an interesting message, oddly sited within his profile details, which helpfully (?) includes mention of a Shamrock Rovers player (Brandon Kavanagh, aged 18) who he sees as the ideal back-up to JJ.

@Wendoverman: when you suggest that Fred is “surely sorted” do you have in mind that his loan is likely to be extended until the end of the season ?

I noticed that Nick Freeman wasn’t even on the bench yesterday. I recall (I hope correctly) GA saying back in the summer that Nick would be playing a bigger role this season. Well, he hasn’t so far and I suspect he will be going out on loan in January.

• edited December 2018

@micra I thought I had read such a thing...or dreamt it....one of the two. Strange about Harriman especially as he could play right midfield in front of Macca if that was the problem. Or GA could even rotate.

• @Wendoverman said:

@thedieharder (who joined last month) has an interesting message, oddly sited within his profile details, which helpfully (?) includes mention of a Shamrock Rovers player (Brandon Kavanagh, aged 18) who he sees as the ideal back-up to JJ.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/brandon-kavanagh-hungry-impress-after-13438316

https://www.dublinlive.ie/sport/brandon-kavanagh-eager-open-shamrock-15300970

And thank you as well!!!!

• Now we have a big squad, there's only so many spaces to fill each week, even on the bench.

That means there's always going to be 4 or 5 not on there.
    Spoilt for choice territory, and some players will miss out.

• That’s the arithmetic @Malone, as we all know, but it’s nothing like as simple as that. There are clearly complex additional factors, not least the attitudes, fitness levels, strengths and weaknesses etc of individual players which have to be taken into account in selecting the lineup for particular matches.

Over a period of time we get to know bits and pieces of information about players but a little learning, as they say, is a dangerous thing. It’s what leads us to speculate endlessly (and largely fruitlessly) about the reasons why some players we think ought to be automatically selected rarely are and others about whom we have reservations are first on the team sheet. It’s a fascinating pastime and it has a tendency to become more time consuming as the transfer window approaches.

• Fascinating is a bit strong.

Is there really anyone who should be starting who isn't?
    Someone like Stewart probably has the best shout, but after being out so long and the selected centre backs doing so well, he's rightly had to wait his chance.

Which i'd imagine is this weekend!

• Let’s have a go at refreshing the lineup.

Allsop
    McCarthy Stewart El-Abd Harriman
    Onyedinma Bloomfield Gape Freeman
    Akinfenwa Kashket

• Harriman is not and has not been injured since he played at Accrington, Saunders will be released in a few days.

• @micra - I am not sure that after just 2 defeats it is in order to totally dismantle the starting eleven. If you are suggesting this, why is Paris disregarded bearing in mind he has not been involved in the two defeats?

It could be argued that Gape has not performed well in those two defeats but is retained. Kashket has done nothing to warrant a starting position in my opinion.

• Nothing to do with two defeats (though I think several players showed signs of weariness yesterday). With three games in seven days, I thought a bit of rotation might be needed. My instant choice of personnel was intended very much as an Aunt Sally. To be honest, I’d more or less forgotten about PCH and, well as Fred has played recently, PCH is a better header of the ball. I don’t think he makes anything like the same impact on defences as Fred does though. The deadly duo may be better introduced relatively late on but I want them on at some stage. They’ve been stunning in the past and could well be again. I’ve assumed that Matt Bloomfield is now fit and available and if, as you say, Dom Gape has lost his edge in the last couple of games, Curtis Thompson could be the better option. I wonder if Darius Charles will ever be fit for more than a couple of consecutive games?
    At the end of the Wimbledon game, Nathan Tyson seemed to be in quite a bad way and I was expecting him to be out for a month or two. He has looked a few gift horses in the mouth in the last two games - hence my decision to rest him.

Well, all that shows fairly graphically the mental machinations that just this one tortured soul of a supporter can go through. I even woke up at 2am this morning thinking “I’ve a feeling Nick Freeman wasn’t even on the bench today” and I was daft enough to switch on the iPhone and check the BBC Sport App.
    I’ve avoided the lethal combination of beer, cheese and chocolate this evening. Dreams last night were very scary!

• @thedieharder it wasn't me...I think it was @micra who was quoting you!

• I think Gareth should pick the side best placed to win the game in question, but beyond that I know nothing. Players that I would have picked who have been good so far on a slump, players that were good in the past not getting on the pitch. Changes having an effect on morale, or altering a settled dynamic. Who would be a football manager?

• @Wendoverman said:
    @thedieharder it wasn't me...I think it was @micra who was quoting you!

I don't really know Know...

• Could be a financial decision on Saunders. May there is a payment activation if you play over a certain number of games. Pure speculation obviously.

The club have been very quiet on it though - if it's a simple as Ainsworth not thinking he is good enough then that is a serious decline in the managers estimation of him.

• @micra said:
    Let’s have a go at refreshing the lineup.

Allsop
    Akinfenwa Kashket

I'm not sure that would work. What about this?
    4-4-2
    Allsop, McCarthy, Stewart, El-Abd, Jacobson, Harriman, Gape, Thompson, Cowan-Hall, Samuel, Kashket?

• Kind of agree with @thedieharder but I would rest Gape for Morris...he may have been bad against Burton (I did not go) but he was the only midfielder finding space when he came on against the Wombles.

• @thedieharder said:

@micra said:
    Let’s have a go at refreshing the lineup.

Allsop
    Akinfenwa Kashket

I'm not sure that would work. What about this?
    4-4-2
    Allsop, McCarthy, Stewart, El-Abd, Jacobson, Harriman, Gape, Thompson, Cowan-Hall, Samuel, Kashket?

I ment next season or if Fred and Randell go back

• Poor Sido!

• @micra said:
    Poor Sido!

He is my favorite player. However, I would play him if he is on a good run of form. He's not the best but still terrific.

• @rmjlondon said:
    Harriman is not and has not been injured since he played at Accrington, Saunders will be released in a few days.

A classic Richie Rumour. Plausible but perhaps slightly unlikely.

If it comes off, he'll be gloating about his inside knowledge for months, if it doesn't you wont hear any more of it.

• Playoff final keeper anyone?

• Harriman was on the pitch at Burton smashing balls around as he was before the AFC game, do any of you have eyes ???

• @rmjlondon said:
    do any of you have eyes ???

Is this a rhetorical question?

• I didn't see that coming.

• Urgent visit to Specsavers required @NorsQuarters?

• I lost my contact lens