Skip to content

What formation should we be playing?

We need to sort this out. We cannot keep switching every game. My desired formation would be 4-4-2 but that is only mine. I will let you have your say on this poll.

Poll not found

Comments

• Why can’t we switch to suit the game?

• @Chris said:
      Why can’t we switch to suit the game?

Nice idea. I think it would work if we switched to a defensive side when winning (e.g. 4-4-2 holding) or a attacking side when losing (e.g. 4-2-4) or make substitutions if needed.

• 3-5-2 for me, hard work for the wing backs but very exciting going forward. As @Chris stated, have to keep changing to suit the game and keeps the opposition guessing. We have lost two games, no need to press any pain buttons yet. Many of the games we have won have been by one goal, as such, statistics dictate we would have a reversal of fortune at some stage. I am however concerned by the number of goals we are conceding & would advocate starting very solid with a 4-5-1 away at Scunny. We can't keep coming back from 2 down all the time, so would frustrate them & get the fans on their backs whilst they are having a bad run of form and change things to a more attacking formation second half?

• @EwanHoosaami , that's nice, but who are the wingbacks going to be?
      JJ surely hasn't got the mobility to do it on the left, and Harriman like I think you yourself said, isn't keeping out either McCarthy or Fred. Neither of which are likely wingbacks themselves?!

• @EwanHoosaami said:
      3-5-2 for me, hard work for the wing backs but very exciting going forward. As @Chris stated, have to keep changing to suit the game and keeps the opposition guessing. We have lost two games, no need to press any pain buttons yet. Many of the games we have won have been by one goal, as such, statistics dictate we would have a reversal of fortune at some stage. I am however concerned by the number of goals we are conceding & would advocate starting very solid with a 4-5-1 away at Scunny. We can't keep coming back from 2 down all the time, so would frustrate them & get the fans on their backs whilst they are having a bad run of form and change things to a more attacking formation second half?

Very good point. We tried this against Bradford City,"Fulham u21's and Norwich City and got results. It just depends who you start in the lineup.

• Didn't we take an absolute pasting from Norwich? Until a very mad all out attack late on?

• @Malone said:
      Didn't we take an absolute pasting from Norwich? Until a very mad all out attack late on?

Bayo seemed to get more options from 5 at the back when he came on from crosses and long balls.

• @Malone said:
      @EwanHoosaami , that's nice, but who are the wingbacks going to be?
      JJ surely hasn't got the mobility to do it on the left, and Harriman like I think you yourself said, isn't keeping out either McCarthy or Fred. Neither of which are likely wingbacks themselves?!

Both McCartney & Fred track back well. JJ could still play left back. It's who would play wing back on the left and that would be Tyson. Maybe play 4-4-1-1 with Kashket behind Samuel?

• We played 352 quite effectively against West Ham in preseason, with Jacobson on the left of the three-man central defence and Freeman a very effective left wingback. Sadly Freeman has been another player marginalised this season and is most likely of the squad to be sent out on loan in Jan. McCarthy should be able to play right wingback quite effectively and I wouldn't mind seeing Fred tried out in that role on the left as he's been very strong defensively in the last few matches and looks extremely fit and strong these days. A 352 would give us plenty of options and would also allow us to play a midfield triumvirate of Gape, Thompson and Morris. But again, this will only work if we retain all three of them (and Fred) in Jan...

• @Malone said:

Unless you play McCarthy, Stewart and El-Abd as the CB's?

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Malone said:

Both McCartney & Fred track back well. JJ could still play left back. It's who would play wing back on the left and that would be Tyson. Maybe play 4-4-1-1 with Kashket behind Samuel?

This wouldn't be suited for Kashket as he would have to hold up the play. He is quick and agile so a strikers role would be better.

• @aloysius said:
      We played 352 quite effectively against West Ham in preseason, with Jacobson on the left of the three-man central defence and Freeman a very effective left wingback. Sadly Freeman has been another player marginalised this season and is most likely of the squad to be sent out on loan in Jan. McCarthy should be able to play right wingback quite effectively and I wouldn't mind seeing Fred tried out in that role on the left as he's been very strong defensively in the last few matches and looks extremely fit and strong these days. A 352 would give us plenty of options and would also allow us to play a midfield triumvirate of Gape, Thompson and Morris. But again, this will only work if we retain all three of them (and Fred) in Jan...

I think 3-5-2 is a 2nd option for me. 4-4-2 is my favorite. I am a big fan of Nick Freeman. I feel Freeman is a very good player who reminds me of Messi because of the way he dribbles. but a loan would help him develop more. It's just about who we would put in a 3-5-2...

• @aloysius , When we're out performing all expectations so far this season, I don't think any single player being left out is "sad" in particular. And "marginalised" is a harsh term too.
      He's a decent player is Freeman, but he's not better than any of our regular starters.

• @Malone said:
      @aloysius , When we're out performing all expectations so far this season, I don't think any single player being left out is "sad" in particular. And "marginalised" is a harsh term too.
      He's a decent player is Freeman, but he's not better than any of our regular starters.

I don't agree with this. I think players who have been playing sprodically will be 'sad'. I think 'marginalised' is a term I also agree with because there been limited chances for some playerstrange. I agree about Freeman. He is not the best but still is a very good player. I think he should go out on loan to get deserved game time. He will be a regular soon in my opinion. He has potential. He just needs to reach it.

• Tyson finished the game at left back on Saturday, maybe he is the missing left wing back we need.

• Or Wednesday even.

• @Chris said:
      Tyson finished the game at left back on Saturday, maybe he is the missing left wing back we need.

@Chris said:
      Or Wednesday even.

I thought he was a striker and a left winger in both the 4-4-2 and 4-2-4. He could play as a wing-back but I'm just not sure he would be suited.

• We have 26 players I think. Difficult to fit them all into a match day squad. Perhaps we have too many.

• @mooneyman said:
      We have 26 players I think. Difficult to fit them all into a match day squad. Perhaps we have too many.

Or too many in certain posistions? There will always be mostly the same players but you can't just keeping out the same players over and over again.

• A better problem than when we would regularly not fill the bench in recent seasons.

• @EssexWanderer - I would question whether it is really essential to fill the bench, bearing in mind our current financial position. We have recently often had 4 or 5 attacking players on the bench, but obviously can only bring on 3 at the most.

Having this number of players in the squad means, even allowing for injuries/suspensions, 5 or 6 are not even going to make the bench. With no reserve team, those not playing lose match fitness and probably motivation and possibly unrest in the squad as a whole.

If Gareth has the current wage budget, I would suggest that it is better to have perhaps 4 less players and reinvest the savings in better quality. Or more controversially, make savings in wages of these surplus players to reduce the annual losses and make the sale of the club less pressing!

• @EssexWanderer said:
      A better problem than when we would regularly not fill the bench in recent seasons.

That made me nervous. During the 2014-2015 season we could never fill the bench. At the start of this season, against Blackpool, we failed to fill the bench with only six players. If more players get suspended and injured, we may face the same problem.

• Unless we play a 9-10-7 formation? No one would notice.

• @mooneyman said:
      @EssexWanderer - I would question whether it is really essential to fill the bench, bearing in mind our current financial position. We have recently often had 4 or 5 attacking players on the bench, but obviously can only bring on 3 at the most.

Having this number of players in the squad means, even allowing for injuries/suspensions, 5 or 6 are not even going to make the bench. With no reserve team, those not playing lose match fitness and probably motivation and possibly unrest in the squad as a whole.

If Gareth has the current wage budget, I would suggest that it is better to have perhaps 4 less players and reinvest the savings in better quality. Or more controversially, make savings in wages of these surplus players to reduce the annual losses and make the sale of the club less pressing!

Filling the bench is essential but it needs to be done correctly. I agree having 4 or 5 attacking players is too much but you need to somehow please the players. This is an issue with players like Sam Saunders because of no matches meaning that factors presented will decrease. We need to let some players go, the question is who? I will miss them if they will go. The board needs to handle this responsibly and wisely.

• @Shev said:
      Unless we play a 9-10-7 formation? No one would notice.

THAT IS THE BEST SUGGESTION EVER! Only problem is at the end of the day its only going to be 11 outfield players and 7 substitutes. Football's harsh...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    • I have never read so much shite as this thread and there have been some serious instances of shite and some posted by me in the past !!!!

• "Freeman reminds me of Messi, I'd stick him out on loan"

Gasroom Gold

• @rmjlondon said:
      I have never read so much shite as this thread and there have been some serious instances of shite and some posted by me in the past !!!!

You’re becoming dangerously self aware.

• @fame_46 said:
      Never thought I'd see the day Messi and Freeman were a direct comparison for dribbling........

Wonder if Gareth Southgate is aware of Freeman's mercurial skills.

Probably not. But the way he dribbles is quite mezmorizing and is probably the best to do it on the team.