Skip to content

Michael Harriman

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2018/december/the-big-match-preview-scunthorpe-vs-wycombe/

No mention of Michael Harriman's being injured. I will be very sad if he is no longer part of Ainsworth's plans. I think if there was no Fred or Randell then he would be a right winger. I'm not going to blame McCarthy for taking his place. I love him and all that but I like Harriman equally. Is it the end of the road? Hopefully not. I hope he starts tommorow.

Comments

• I think he will play a part yet - exceptional player in my book.

• @Shev said:
    I think he will play a part yet - exceptional player in my book.

But when would that be?

• @thedieharder said:

@Shev said:

But when would that be?

possibly will have to wait & see what's happening with Fred & or Rendell. Both McCarthy & Fred are amongst the best two performers in the side. Difficult to see where MH fits atm. 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 & he won't get in front of Fred & Jason. Looks like he will have to be patient and jump at his chance when injury/suspensions allow. The last couple of performances I have witnessed for MH haven't exactly inspired, caught out of position too often and sloppy passing seemed to be a feature. I do however feel some sympathy as with no reserve side, it is difficult to impress and gain match fitness other than 1st team game time & possibly makes him over eager when the rare opportunity knocks. January will be a telling month I feel.

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@thedieharder said:

@Shev said:

But when would that be?

possibly will have to wait & see what's happening with Fred & or Rendell. Both McCarthy & Fred are amongst the best two performers in the side. Difficult to see where MH fits atm. 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 & he won't get in front of Fred & Jason. Looks like he will have to be patient and jump at his chance when injury/suspensions allow. The last couple of performances I have witnessed for MH haven't exactly inspired, caught out of position too often and sloppy passing seemed to be a feature. I do however feel some sympathy as with no reserve side, it is difficult to impress and gain match fitness other than 1st team game time & possibly makes him over eager when the rare opportunity knocks. January will be a telling month I feel.

Very true point. It just depends how long he can wait until he cracks. I agree McCarthy and Fred are both two of the best players but can we keep Fred?

• We will find out in a day or two. Neither Fred or Jason are likely to play every game from now untilMay, so his chance will come. A bigger concern for me is cover for JJ.

• edited December 2018

JJ must be the one position we can't cover that effectively. Sido and Harriman can turn out there I suppose, but not excellently.

About Harriman though, there has to be some player collateral damage when you're looking to progress upwards. Unfortunately he seems one of the biggest victims along with Saunders so far.
    Paris has been squeezed to the fringe too, but he at least knows there are two loanees who may go ahead of him. But then Tyson has come straight back in ahead of him too.

• @EwanHoosaami said:
    We will find out in a day or two. Neither Fred or Jason are likely to play every game from now until May, so his chance will come. A bigger concern for me is cover for JJ.

We played Harriman as a left-back against Fleetwood Town and Accrington Stanley. I think this was to give him game time and to give JJ a break. I just don't think he is suited for the position though. I think the LB issue needs to be sorted but without excluding Jacobson. I thought that is why Charlie Fox was brought in?

• @Malone said:
    JJ must be the one position we can't cover that effectively. Sido and Harriman can turn out there I suppose, but not excellently.

About Harriman though, there has to be some player collateral damage when you're looking to progress upwards. Unfortunately he seems one of the biggest victims along with Saunders so far.
    Paris has been squeezed to the fringe too, but he at least knows there are two loanees who may go ahead of him. But then Tyson has come straight back in ahead of him too.

Sorting out a backup left back needs to be sorted. He has to be left footed. He has been a victim which I agree with. Paris Cowan-Hall is premierly a winger. He hasn't played in a long time though. I miss him.

• edited January 2019

@thedieharder said:

@Shev said:

But when would that be?

Starting today, hopefully! Though not his best position.

• Tough one for him at the moment. Comes in for the occasional game, out of position, in a poor team performance.
    Definitely not any more than a mere fill in at left back.

• What I always like to see is Harriman, a player with some pace, in acres of space and waving frantically and the player with the ball trying to thread it through a couple of opposition players to someone sandwiched between two more instead...

• I thought Harriman had a decent game yesterday. Maybe a warm up for a spell in wide midfield ?

• @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I thought Harriman had a decent game yesterday. Maybe a warm up for a spell in wide midfield ?

I’ve always wondered why he hasn’t been given more of a go at right midfield recently. He had that wonderful spell of 12-15 games a couple of seasons ago where he scored a load of goals, won MoTM a few times and generally played extremely well. Then a couple of injuries saw him shift back to fullback, where he lost form and got dropped. Since then he hasn’t really got a decent go at reclaiming his spot at right midfield. Might be difficult with the huge number of wingers we seem to have at the moment, but with the loanees returning, surely worth a go?

• I wouldn't be surprised to see Fred return, so probably won't have the chance to.

That Harriman goal scoring spell seems so long ago now.