Skip to content

Match day thread: Wimbledon

13»

Comments

• "I’d go as far to say they’re almost making me reconsider my stance on MK Dons."

Not many worse comments have ever been posted on here

• @Steve_Peart said:
    My previous great goodwill to Wimbledon has evaporated, there is an underlying nastiness to their fans, the more vocal ones at least, which even Luton fans do not lower themselves to. It's not the usual tribal banter between rivals, it's vicious, graceless and lacking any class.

Luton away is the game I dislike the most, because of the town, ground and fans, but really, Wimbledon away is worse, a shocking ground to be hosting tier three football.

Luton away is the best game of the season

• I reluctantly have to agree with Steve on his description of what I truly hope is a small minority of Wimbledon fans. I bear no ill will towards their club or their players but I thought the chanting and general unpleasantness that emanated from the away end yesterday was disgraceful and went far beyond normal football banter. Their targeting of GA, a distinguished former player, was particularly bad.

• @Jonny_King said:
    Well said Shev. Also, didn't they massively screw over Kingstonian, taking ownership of their own ground and turning them into tenants? Can't remember the exact details, but seem to recall they pulled a bit of a swift one on a club that had helped them out in their hour of need.

As far as I'm aware, they sold it to Chelsea (for their ladies' side) on the condition that Kingstonian moved (they're now at Leatherhead)

• @Glenactico, there's no better feeling than when we win there, but the thought of having to go there twice in a season is already making me feel sick. I'm thinking of missing our league game.

• @eric_plant said:
    "I’d go as far to say they’re almost making me reconsider my stance on MK Dons."

Not many worse comments have ever been posted on here

But who posted it?

• edited December 2018

Good morning @micra, posted by @arnos_grove in mid page 2 of this thread:-)

• Thanks @th100. Kingstonian must regret ever getting involved with them.

• @Jonny_King I think it was more Chelsea's condition - they weren't willing to accomodate them - but still, Kingstonian got rather shifted by the whole thing

• @Jonny_King I think you're also right about Wimbledon originally turning Kingstonian into tenants

• To be fair to the Wombles on the pitch, their first 'goal' seemed okay to me...and whether or not it was a corner...we did not have to concede. For their fans, however, I hope they go down with the Oxford.

• It's three mathces in a row now that AFC Wimbledon have scored contentious goals against us. The "it (possibly) wasn't a corner" goal on Saturday was preceded by their opening goal against us in the 2016 defeat at home, which came after an alleged foul on McCarthy in the build up, and the equaliser in the away match that season, which came after Matt Ingram was unable to deal with a cross because one of their players had an arm across his neck.

• The last but one game of this season could well be one to do a rebalancing of accounts - just as we did last season in the second half against Luton, Carlisle and Swindon. I will look forward to that game despite the horrible stand.