Skip to content

Netflix ‘Sunderland till I Die’

Watching this new series, great behind the scenes look at the club, what amazing facilities, Luke must have been blown away.
Just watched episode 6, a non playing Jack Rodwell has informed the CEO that he won’t tear up his contract and move on so will see out his £70,000 a week salary, and we think we have financial issues!

Comments

• Imagine being a washed up player who would never get a wage anywhere near that again and someone telling asking if you'd mind just cancelling your contract.

You'd chuckle too.

• edited January 2019

Slightly linked to this - I wonder if the club have started to think about opportunities from the visit of Sunderland on Saturday 9th March. I see they took 8,000 to Blackpool on New Year's Day, and it doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility that they could bring 3,000+ to us if we gave them both the Beechdean and the away end. Could be some much-needed revenue for the club, and by all accounts, they seem like a decent bunch so I doubt there'd be trouble.

• Does the Beechdean even accommodate 1200+? History suggests you’d probably have a riot on your hands if you tried to transfer the entire Beechdean contingent to the Frank Adams stand.

• Yeah I have to be honest @micra I'm not sure exactly how many it holds, but it must be approx 1k without the director seats. Alternatively, you could give them the first few blocks of the Frank Adams Upper nearest the away end. I suspect that would be a lot trickier with segregation though and higher policing costs.

Completely accept your point about moving people, but then again, if we're skint we need to do what we can to maximise opportunities. We've done it before and I'd hope even the most unreasonable fan could understand why it's beneficial.

• Away
    Luton v SAFC - 10,059 - 1,047 Away Fans
    Gillingham v SAFC - 8,438 - 2,087 Away
    Wimbledon v SAFC - 4,848 - 727 Away
    Burton v SAFC - 4,566 - 1,700 Away
    Coventry v SAFC - 16,407 - 4,897 Away
    Bradford v SAFC - 19,487 - 2,893 Away
    Shrewsbury v SAFC - 9,007 - 1,640 Away
    Doncaster v SAFC - 11,881 - 3,973 Away
    Plymouth v SAFC - 12,065 - 1,305 Away

If we announced early on we were giving Sunderland fans 3-4k tickets, I reckon they'd probably sell almost all of them.

• I'd want free crisps to move. High quality. None of your rubbish.

• Is it unreasonable to think we could generate a decent home following instead. When we played Leeds on the first game of the season all those years back, I recall a crowd in excess of 8000 - with the right marketing, we could equal or better that.

• There’s no reason we can’t do both. The Woodlands and terrace still give us approx 6k home tickets to sell, so an approx 40-50% uplift on our current home crowd. I really don’t think you could expect to sell more than that to home fans, unless you start to give them away for free, which sort of defeats the point...

Also, to add to @OxfordBlue, I think Sunderland also took approx 2.5k to Stanley in the match that was abandoned. I fully agree that they’d sell them all if we organised it early enough - particularly at the later stage of the season with promotion possibly on the horizon for them.

• @OxfordBlue said:
    Away
    Luton v SAFC - 10,059 - 1,047 Away Fans
    Gillingham v SAFC - 8,438 - 2,087 Away
    Wimbledon v SAFC - 4,848 - 727 Away
    Burton v SAFC - 4,566 - 1,700 Away
    Coventry v SAFC - 16,407 - 4,897 Away
    Bradford v SAFC - 19,487 - 2,893 Away
    Shrewsbury v SAFC - 9,007 - 1,640 Away
    Doncaster v SAFC - 11,881 - 3,973 Away
    Plymouth v SAFC - 12,065 - 1,305 Away

If we announced early on we were giving Sunderland fans 3-4k tickets, I reckon they'd probably sell almost all of them.

Itd be interesting to see what allocation they got for those games as well.
    Presumably a lot of those followings are the max of what allowed, and the coventry one is more of a sighter.

The club would need towork now to work out how to shift fans over. Frank adams nearest their fans would probably be the easiest as history shows a lot of people get very annoyed at even a once in a blue moon move in the main stand.

• How about giving them the family stand and relocating our fans to the Frank Adams ?

• @Last_Quarter said:
    There’s no reason we can’t do both. The Woodlands and terrace still give us approx 6k home tickets to sell, so an approx 40-50% uplift on our current home crowd. I really don’t think you could expect to sell more than that to home fans, unless you start to give them away for free, which sort of defeats the point...

Also, to add to @OxfordBlue, I think Sunderland also took approx 2.5k to Stanley in the match that was abandoned. I fully agree that they’d sell them all if we organised it early enough - particularly at the later stage of the season with promotion possibly on the horizon for them.

Indeed. It’s also work noting that our attendance that day included 2300 Leeds fans so presumably we gave them the corner of the family stand. Would be great if the local community can get behind us for this sort of game to try and get more bums in seats; posters in shop windows, some advertising in local schools??

• Didn't we give Watford the family stand back in the 90s and people claimed it gave them an advantage to have their fans so close to the pitch.

I sit in the Beechdean and have no issue moving for occasional games if it helps the finances. Done it on at least three occasions in recent years.

• Probably is something in that @MindlessDrugHoover .

The family stand give us absolutely zero, but to fill it with 1,000 hyped up Wearsiders could really lift them

• Do EFL rules permit one off ticket price increases?
    If so charge £25 and the away end would still sell out.

• edited January 2019

Imagine the outrage if we did that.
    From our own fans, as you can't charge away fans more than home fans.

The whole A, B ,C tier of pricing some of the big clubs use is bad enough.
    Didn't Stevenage do similar, even at league 2 level!

• I think one consideration has to be how many points we pick up in Jan and Feb.

If we manage to get 6 wins in that time, give them the whole of the Family Stand for all I care.

If we're struggling though and need to scrape every point we can, I don't think we should be giving them 'home advantage' by letting them bring 5k fans.

• One could counter argue @OxfordBlue that as a club we tend to do better as a club when our backs are against the wall?

• Just binge watched this and I agree it's very good indeed. You really get a feeling that the majority of supporters are true fans and promote a Wycombe-like atmosphere. Even though you know the eventual outcome, you get drawn in and find yourself either celebrating or downcast with the fans and staff! Great stuff.