Skip to content

Supine Sammy Saunders

With so little to moan about at the theatre of chairs these days we seem to have forgotten this little elf.
Saw on Instagram he was at yesterday’s Christmas lunch ( and the players night out on Saturday) but today he is back on the golf course with Sammy Wood Sammy Sammy Wood.
Anyone from the club shop know what’s occurrin’ with the swimming trunk salesman?

Comments

• It shows how strong our squad is right now that it did take a second of thinking, "who?"

• No idea but full marks for the witty thread title. :-)

• Has Saunders even played at all this season?

Looking at the squad list I'd also forgotten we ever signed Darius Charles, and we've now gone almost an entire year in which Stewart has only played a couple of times. Pretty remarkable that we've had a makeshift centre back (Sido) for most of that and managed to get promoted and up to our current position.

• Slightly unfair I think to describe Sido Jombati as makeshift. For the most part he has been outstanding and there are few if any other centre backs in League 1 with as much flair.
    We have coped really well in the face of an above average turnover (mainly through injury) of central defenders.

• I did ask Trevor Stroud at the last Fans Council meeting what has happened to Sam. He said he is fit but just not being picked, but I don't see him these days in the pre-match warm-ups, which I thought all fit players participated in.

We are short of midfielders on the bench, so you would think he would at least make that if fit.

• @Glenactico makes a good point. It shows how well we've done when we've been without Stewart so long. I'd add in losing Pierre as well. There have been spells we've looked pretty ropey back there though.

Not sure we even need Saunders on the bench to be honest. Thompson, Gape, Morris and Bloomfield are plenty at the moment, with Freeman, Fred and others able to play the attacking centre mid role if needs be.

• Wouldn't be a major surprise if contract is terminated by mutual consent in Jan.

• Heard some whisperings from other fans at the Gillingham game he'd done something very naughty.

Could be a load of old bollocks, and potentially libellous so I wont elaborate but essentially bad off field behaviour has resulted in him being frozen out entirely, inc. training.

• @Steve_Peart - When have we been short of midfielders on the bench. We normally have one of Morris or Thompson plus Freeman. Beano can't always even get on the bench.

It is defenders we have tended to be light on.

• I can understand why the club wouldn't want too much spotlight on this when they're trying to persuade us to allow outside investment because of our financial situation

• @mooneyman, no central midfielders on bench at Gills, in fact, you could say we had one GK, one defender, five 'attackers' , if those attackers are used in a front three.

• I believe clubs are obliged to provide training facilities for all players under contract which is why you hear about out of favour players training with the youth team at other clubs. IF club and Saunders have agreed not to do this, suggests even more that chances of him playing again for us at least are very very small.

There are many reasons Eric for and against outside investment. Its hard to see how one of them could be related to one player falling out of favour for unspecified reasons. sadly that happens from time to time.

• @OxfordBlue , pm me son, that's interesting stuff :)
    We haven't had a scurrilous rumour since the guy whose name i completely forget who looked utter garb for us, and reminiscent of a stocky wrestler, and the player whose name is even further from my mind that we got off that competition...and never played

• Not sure who the first player you refer to could be but the second was Nathan Evans (nearly said Jones!) about whom I don’t think there was anything scurrilous.

• @Malone said:

the guy whose name i completely forget who looked utter garb for us, and reminiscent of a stocky wrestler

Morias?

• Oh yeah! That was pretty scurrilous wasn't it?

• @DevC said:
    I believe clubs are obliged to provide training facilities for all players under contract which is why you hear about out of favour players training with the youth team at other clubs. IF club and Saunders have agreed not to do this, suggests even more that chances of him playing again for us at least are very very small.

There are many reasons Eric for and against outside investment. Its hard to see how one of them could be related to one player falling out of favour for unspecified reasons. sadly that happens from time to time.

If a player is being paid high wages and never plays, and the team is enjoying success regardless then it suggests that there are costs which could yet be reduced.

That this was the point I was making would, I suggest, have been obvious to all but the least intelligent posters on the forum.

• I must admit @eric_plant I didn't read your comment that way originally, but I can see now how it can be.

But then I suppose if the cap (XS) fits I should probably be wearing it...

• I saw @eric_plant 's point because I am highly intelligent me. Though player problems are indeed common, I think eric was suggesting a highly paid player not playing was something those with a vote might find strange when being asked to save us from being dangerously skint.

• Well Eric, that rather depends.

Firstly we have no idea whether saunders is being paid "high wages". He is a mature player who has played at a higher level so it is certainly possible that he is. Equally it is possible that he has made his money and wanted to play one last season so was happy to accept low wages or a "pay as you play" arrangement we don't know.

Then we have to recognise that at the start of the season we are looking in crystal balls rather than with 20-20 hindsight. There is no reason to believe that Saunders would have been top of the list for the chop if the playing budget was lower - probably more likely at the start of the season that "honour" would have fallen to Thompson for example. Most of us surely understand that there are no guarantees going forward and that some squad choices will not work out due to form, injury or falling outs.

Then we have to look at quantum. We are losing around £600k per year, equivalent perhaps to 8-10 first teamers. Even with 20-20 hindsight if the playing budget is to be the one to close the gap, who are the 7-9 other players to get the chop as well as Saunders?

As I say there are arguments for and against outside investment. Lets at least try to keep the ones we use grounded in some sort of reality. I think you are trying a little too hard.

• "Firstly we have no idea whether saunders is being paid "high wages".

"We"?

You do realise that sometimes people know things you don't yeah?

• @marlowchair will know and @rmjlondon won’t but will say he does. Honestly.

• Jesus wept.

• I’m off to start me Christmas shopping now; back very shortly.

• Eric, I really hope you don't know details of Saunders' pay packet. That sort of information in any organisation should be known by as few people as possible.

If that information has been shared with you (shamefully), I would hope you would know better than to share such information on a public forum.

Regardless the rest of my 12:45 post stands.

• @malone That was Reece Styche, Gibraltan international, was captain at Darlington this season until he moved onto Chorley (I think).

• There are known knowns and known unknowns and sometimes unknown unknowns. @DevC and the take-over reminds me of Piers Morgan and Donald Trump...a pose of disinterested neutrality...but quick to leap to defend any possible criticism. @eric_plant I admire your measured posts on the Gasroom but if you was to come round my house and share my salary with my neighbours I would say Eric! No! #shameful

• Suggesting that Sam Saunders is near the top of our wage bill is hardly publishing screen shots of his wage slip is it?

It's just common sense.

Akinfenwa will be right up there as well, and we have coped admirably without him as well.

• @woodlands , i'd meant Morias as per @MindlessDrugHoover .
    Was there a Styche situation too?

All I remember of him is him screaming abuse at the linesman after continually being caught offside or fouling a defender. A bizarre signing, taking him up from non league where he wasn't exactly prolific.