Skip to content

Frisking

Morning All

Just a passing observation from Saturday, though that experience was in line with many away trips.

Frisking.

Is it me or is the frisking process experienced before entering grounds no more than the most cursory of pats in random areas, almost none of which are likely to be harbouring proscribed items? On Saturday, the fellow charged with the duty did very well to avoid even touching my incredibly voluminously-stacked pockets as he lightly skimmed his hands over the areas just above and below same. I'd like to flatter myself that it's because I'm such an obviously honest and non-violent citizen (which I am, and much, much more) but I see the same process with others.

It bothers me not one jot: I have no meaningful fear of someone doing something silly in a Wycombe end, except for turning up in the first place. It just occurred to me to mention it while it was in my head. Certainly, I could have smuggled in any sort of nonsense to the ground on Saturday without needing to take any precautions other than to put the stuff in my pockets. Ho hum.

Comments

• The frisking did seem particularly ineffectual at Gillingham.

• Were they profiling who they frisked more thoroughly, to prevent delays at the turnstiles? At Colchester United last season I was waved through while my teenage sons who were walking with me were both frisked.

• edited December 2018

The thought occurred to me, @sherrinford, though they searched my son no more thoroughly than me and there was no meaningful queue. It might just be that the stewards, being relatively normal humans with limited training, are a little embarrassed by the requirement and/or (correctly) have a somewhat low expectation that there will be anything worth finding most of the time.

By the by, though they were civil enough, I found the stewards on Saturday particularly ill-informed about what was going on in terms of ticket collection and other matters.

• In stark contrast to stewards at Stevenage 1-2 seasons ago, who subjected female Grimsby fans to bra searches and then defended their actions by blaming Grimsby fans' 'reputation'. Horrible little club.

• Say what you like about Stevenage - they successfully prevented me from taking in a flask of tea. Imagine the havoc I could have caused.

• If the flask contained gunpowder green tea, you could have been in trouble!

• What did you sneak in in yer bra though @Slaphead ?

• Two baps (fnar fnar)!

• @Slaphead said:
    Say what you like about Stevenage

Think Lewis Hamilton found they don't like that much

• Them garden city slums can be vicious

• I’ve walked the mean streets of St Albans

• I heard it was mince pies @Slaphead. The ones you kindly passed round at the Barnsley game were certainly remarkably warm.

• @micra said:
    I heard it was mince pies @Slaphead. The ones you kindly passed round at the Barnsley game were certainly remarkably warm.

@micra you really don’t want to know how I warmed them up!

• edited December 2018

@micra said:
    I heard it was mince pies @Slaphead. The ones you kindly passed round at the Barnsley game were certainly remarkably warm.

@micra you certainly don’t want to know how I warmed them up!

• @micra you certainly don’t want to know how he warmed them up!

• Dead right there @drcongo. I’ve still not forgotten the time when his granddaughter helped him with the cake mix and said afterwards that she enjoyed doing it because it got her hands clean. Or was that my granddaughter? ?