Skip to content

Hottest/Coldest/Wettest/Snowiest/Foggiest matches attended?

Comments

• How about the muddiest. Amateur cup 1965 I think, Hendon away. The pitch was more like a Florida swamp, Wycombe lose 2-1 with ten men, could hardly distinguish the two teams, all 22 players covered in mud. No way the game would be played today, health and safety and all that.

• @marlowwanderer, it's posts like that that put us Johnny-come-latelies in our places! I moved to the area in 1987, it's one of my great regrests that I didn't see the light until the Sanchez era, so missed out on so much excitement under O'Neill. But 1965 really goes back!

• The Ilford game I mentioned must have been in the early 50's or even earlier. You will find that as time goes by events from long ago seem to have more impact that they even did at the time.

• Can't believe nobody has mentioned the Peterborough game for Snow. Motty on the pitch and I spent a rather nice afternoon in the Hour Glass playing pool against a minibus full of Posh fans

• But the match itself never got started - so doesn't count. My rules!

• Re: The Peterborough game. I remember getting on the bus in town on a grey, cold, wet day. bought a Free Press to read down to the ground (it was worth buying back then). Stepped out of the bus opposite the Hour Glass into about an inch of snow. as I walked down Hillbottom it got progressively deeper until it was covering my boots by the ground. I then spent a not bad early afternoon in the Centre Spot talking to Posh fans and

• Revisiting this old thread, I think Saturday would definitely be a contender on three counts, but not necessarily the winner of any. However, when you put the cold, wind, and rain together, then overall must be up with one of the most unpleasant ever.

• I’m still waiting for the rest of @bookertease’s tale............

• Oxford away, a festive game @ le stade de trois cotes, though can't remember which year. Wind came in from the car park and cut through my right side. My brother-in-law forgot his wooly hat and ended up putting one of his gloves over his right ear! A game he only recounted at the weekend when we were visiting the family, a cutting wind very similar, in the frozen wastelands of the North-West.

• I do not have the historic, deep, moving memories of the Chairboys as most of you do but losing to Coventry at Adams Park on the coldest ****ing night of the year since the Dickens skated on a frozen Thames looms large.

• Wasn't there a conference game at AP that was so cold that when one of the factories caught light at our end of Hillbottom Lane, we all gathered at the away end to enjoy the heat given off?

• That game at home v Peterboro, where Desouza and McGavin put is 2-0 up, only for the ref to abandon it on about 75, as the boro players did an impression of it being an ice rink. Won the replayed game by the same score, same scorers, talk about justice!

That has to get some sort of shout.

Also Bradford in the FA Cup one year, pitch was icy as heck, think we lost 2-0 to Dreyer goals? Waddle played for them

• There was a Swindon away game on Boxing Day (maybe Smith's 1st season, so 1995?) that was bitingly cold. And not much entertainment on the pitch to get the blood pumping as I recall

• Hottest has to be,for me, Leyton Orient away end of the season we just missed out on promotion from League 1. Uncovered terrace - they even ran out of water in kiosk.

• edited December 2018

Hottest - Home to Stockport 2003. Coldest - Home to Coventry last year (that Beast from the East will take some beating, to be fair), Wettest (in terms of how wet I got watching) - Headington away, 1st season in 3rd tier (for shower intensity, it's close between the Merthyr game, late 80s, and the re-arranged Notts County game, away, in 2001, which was subsequently re-re-arranged). Snowiest - Home to Dartford. Foggiest - Home to Woking FA Trophy 2nd Rd, early 90s. Weirdest wind (new category I just made up) - away to Stockport, under M O'N. We played against the wind in the first half. Then the wind changed direction during the half-time break, and we played against it in the second half too. Kevin Francis, the 7ft freak scored a few for them that day.

• Windiest - Swindon away last year. Never seen anything like it. 50-60mph winds. Their keeper kicked straight to our penalty box in the first half, but couldn't reach the centre circle in the second. Their goal was heavily wind assisted too.

Coldest - Stevenage away last year. Couldn't feel anything at all. Although admittedly I wasn't at the Coventry home game which looked colder.

Gillingham on Saturday was probably the worst combined conditions, exacerbated by the open temporary stand.

• There was a really cold one at Oldham away once. The last ever game at Underhill was particularly hot.

• Oldham is known as Ice Station Zebra though isn't it for a reason!

• @arnos_grove, I agree about Windsor being the coldest, Feb '87, a league game we won 5-1. The biting wind went through you like a knife.

Merthyr for the heaviest rain I've seen at a game, washed all the lines away, thunder and lightning too, and abandoned after 16 minutes. Last game at Barnet for the hottest. 6-1 Trophy win in '85 v Dartford for proper, thick snow and and a good old orange ball.

Muddiest, a 7-1 B & B win in '75 against Rivet Sports at Aylesbury United's ground. Keith Searle came up for a corner and joked: "I could be at home watching the wrestling". The pitch was the worst I've ever seen, standing water and gloopy mud.

• @DJWYC14 @Steve_Peart Don't think the last game at Underhill was anywhere near as hot as it seemed. Admittedly the full sun was very strong if you were in the open away end, making it seem very hot (and giving you a good sun tan), but my Barnet supporting mate in the covered stand behind the other goal said afterwards how chilly it had been.

• Last season's game at the Hive was one of the coldest. I knew a couple of Chairboys who went home at halftime due to the cold.

• I remember a game against Barnet that was abandoned due to fog, I could barely read the time on Barry Frys watch from my seat in the Frank Adams.

• Nothing will beat Pat's Foggy Day for me

• I've got three memorable Foggy Days that will warm some of you up, I fancy:

• @ChasHarps , good shout. That was a dreadfully cold day.
    Can't imagine leaving early though, if only for tightwaddery reasons!

• @ChasHarps said:
    Last season's game at the Hive was one of the coldest. I knew a couple of Chairboys who went home at halftime due to the cold.

Forgot about that one. May well trump Stevenage last year. Snowing in late March. O'Nien doing snow angels in front of the away fans. Classic!

• What about when members of the Reform Club bet someone 20 large that they couldn't circumnavigate the globe in less then 80 days?

• Coventry at home last season was the coldest for me...

Bury at home when bates got a 90th min winner wettest..

And pre season friendly against Brentford 2seasons ago was the hottest, actually left after 25mins as the humidity was unbearable

• Slightly off-topic but a question for @Steve_Peart (or anyone else). I remember the Rivet Sports game at Turnfurlong Lane but I have quite a strong memory of playing Rivet Sports at a different ground a year or two later (or earlier).

Am I completely mad (quite likely) or did we play them twice at two different games in the mid-70s?

• @bookertease Yes we did, but both games were at Aylesbury United's ground. 15 February 1975, a 7-1 win. 24 January 1976, a 6-2 win.