Skip to content

Match day thread: Gillingham

Comments

• edited December 2018

We are up against 6' 9" keeper Tomas Holy today. Queue Scotty with his low, snap shots, not that Gareth will change the forward line.

• Full match commentary will be on BBC3CR 630/1161MW and iFollow.

COYB!

• Absobloominlutely @Steve_Peart. Get down to that!

• One change, Morris in for Williams.

• 3 up front away from home. I love it.

• 1-0! What a strike by the captain!

• 2-0! Tyson you beauty!

• wowzers! we are solid right now!

• arrrseeee

• Ceeeofeeee.

• Fair result. Gills were awful first half but fought back well in foul conditions. We were v good first half, a bit off it until 2-2 but finished strongly.

As the cliché goes. I’d have taken it at 3pm.

Hats off to the absolute legends behind the goal. I doubt you’ll dry off this winter!

• I’m absolutely soaked through, that was utterly horrible to stand in for 2 hours.

The first 25 minutes Gillingham couldn’t get near us and we deservedly went two up. We almost immediately took the foot off the gas though and slowed the pace of the match considerably. This gave the home team much more time on the ball and at half time I was just glad we held on to the advantage.

Second half Gillingham Improved but didn’t create too much. The two goals were very poor to concede, particularly the second where MOTM Parker won a free header in the same position as he had the previous three, on this occasion finding the net. For a relatively short guy he must of won 50% of all the headers from corners in both boxes today.

A draw was a fair result in the end with both ‘keepers making a couple of decent saves second half. Can’t help but feel the three points were there for the taking though and I should be leaving soaked but very happy.

Still, 32 points with a game to play before Christmas and disappointed not to have won a fourth game in a row. Could be worse.

• edited December 2018

That final decision just never came for the whole second half!

So many touches around their box, pace, width and players getting forward, just lacked that guile to pick the right pass. Fred highlighted this - tremendous pace and skill in the first half, no idea how to pick the lock in the second.

Also, JJ's corners were woeful, he seems to have one game of fantastic delivery, and the next will be shocking.

PLUS - have all 3 of El-Abd's goals for us been something of a volley?

• Hard to really concentrate and assess when you're so cold AND wet. Happy enough with an away point.

Only one sub in last 2 games. Is Gaz trying to save on appearance bonuses?

• I think I'm still suffering from frostbite so goodness knows how the keepers are faring. Apart from the dreadful conditions it was a good, solid match, though I'm not entirely sure why we've reverted to 433 when our 442 system was working so well for us.

Both their goals came from exploiting McCarthy on the right - he could have done with significantly more support from the midfield but that's hard in the chosen formation. Hey ho.

A great performance from El Abd who must have needed all his motivational skills to get the players pumped for this one. Fred excellent as usual, getting back to defend, looking sharp on the attack. Samuel must now be one of the first names on the teamsheet, another strong, gritty performance from him.

JJ's corners extremely poor, apart from the one that led to El Abd's goal and one in the 90th minute that needed a fingertip save to keep out.

But I can't complain about any player having an off day today. The conditions were ATROCIOUS.

• I'm fairly certain we only played that 442 last week. We certainly started this game with a 442 diamond - Fred was bombing through the middle. Only seemed to switch to 433 when Randell came on.

• For the most part we looked solid and well organised again, with good options going forward. Shame that two bits of poor defending allowed Gillinghma to take a point from a match I think we should have won on the balance of play.

Very impressed with Thompson's form in recent weeks. Seems to win so many tackles. He and Gape are repeatedly getting the better of the midfield battle. Likewise, Samuel's superb hold up play and ability to pressure their defenders in possession really creates the platform for everything both defensively and in attack.

Re JJ's corners, there was a similar thing a couple of weeks ago when the opposition keeper was really tell. He is clearly told to play particular routines, mainly to the near post. It would be easy enough to swing them into the six yard box every time but the keeper would claim the majority.

• My first experience of Priestfield's 17 year old "temporary" away stand. Makes Adams Park look positively state of the art.

The second half conditions with the wind behind us, a sodden surface and Gulliver in the Gills goal begged for some long range efforts from Morris or Gape who are both well capable but we seem to prefer to pass the ball on the deck these days...it's taking a bit of getting used to.

• In League One, only Bradford matched our nine shots on target, and they scored four. Gills had four on targer. Both us and Bradford had 16 shots in all. We also had 10 corners, so disappointing not to win.

Also disappointed that Kashket didn't come on. I know sub Williams forced a great save but, I believe in Scotty, more than any of our other strikers. He's a natural goalscorer.

• Gills fans very complimentary about us (we’re a “good team”) and those of you in the cold and wet. They rightly seem embarrassed about that end. Not so complimentary about or time wasting though.

• @bookertease said:
    Gills fans very complimentary about us (we’re a “good team”) and those of you in the cold and wet. They rightly seem embarrassed about that end. Not so complimentary about or time wasting though.

I sent you a private message via this Gasroom. Did you get it in your inbox?
    Thanks
    Alan

• In terms of time-wasting, I'm honestly not bothered as usually it bites the team back.

I think if you've played as well as we had for the first half, you've won a right to take your time - especially away from home - for the points.

It's not like other teams don't do it, and as I say usually it bites us on the arse.

• There is so much nonsense talked about time wasting and it’s some of our own fans who perpetuate this reputation with that stupid chant about ‘we’re time wasting b........we know what we are’.
    When the ball is in play (ie near the corner flag) it’s up to the team not in possession to try and win it back and when the ball is not in play, the referee can simply add on the time he thinks has been wasted and/or caution the player concerned. Simple.
    Also, as someone has pointed out, it’s something that every team will do to protect a lead.

• @glasshalffull said:
    There is so much nonsense talked about time wasting and it’s some of our own fans who perpetuate this reputation with that stupid chant about ‘we’re time wasting b........we know what we are’.
    When the ball is in play (ie near the corner flag) it’s up to the team not in possession to try and win it back and when the ball is not in play, the referee can simply add on the time he thinks has been wasted and/or caution the player concerned. Simple.
    Also, as someone has pointed out, it’s something that every team will do to protect a lead.

Its our players who perpetuate it really.

• We don’t do anything worse than most other teams. Some Gillingham fan on the League One page insists that we were time wasting from 50 minutes yesterday. Do you agree?

• Also - I LOATHE that terrible timewasting song.

• We have certain well rehearsed routines, the tying of laces in the opponents half after scoring, so they can't take a quick kick-off. Keeper taking an age to retrieve the ball for a goal kick. One of our keepers, can't remember which of the many, recently motioned to the ball boy not to return the ball too quickly. Delaying throw-ins by kicking ball further away for teammate to retrieve.

All teams time waste to a greater or lesser degree, no fan really likes it, it's irritating. It's done to disrupt the rhythm of the other team, but I'm convinced refs add on more time than was wasted. So it's self-defeating.

• @glasshalffull said:
    We don’t do anything worse than most other teams. Some Gillingham fan on the League One page insists that we were time wasting from 50 minutes yesterday. Do you agree?

Didn't make it yesterday. But Its fairly obvious, I don't really have a problem with it except when we could be killing off teams instead but can see why opposition teams might. Dying seconds, protecting a lead etc fine but we do seem to be a team that actively tries to make the time that the ball is in play shorter and regular paying punters will at least notice that. Wonder if any other team has their goalie booked as often as we do.