Skip to content

Ainsworth/Reading job

Comments

• I very much doubt that he is top of the list, but it is probable that he’s on their radar. I tend to agree with those who say he probably needs to keep us up this season to ‘prove’ to others he is flexible and tactically astute enough to succeed elsewhere but someone might fancy a punt.

Our ‘reputation’ may put a few off but we have to accept that the way he presents and handles himself with the media is probably as good as any other manager in the football league and add the ‘kicking every ball’ on the touch line that all us fans like in a manager and he is an attractive proposition for a chair in need of bridge building.

Reading are one of the two clubs out there that I worry would interest GA mid-season if they do make overtures. So fingers crossed they don’t.

• And @BuckinghamBlue - careful. I’ve only just eaten!!

• Gareth, if you are reading: please hold out for the Man United job!

• On my way back to the former Biscuit Metropolis on the painfully slow bus after the game yesterday, I ended up listening to BBC Berks commentary of Reading's dire game against Sheffield Utd (normally I would listen to the excellent Stereo Underground show that is syndicated across local BBC networks in the south, but alas the biggest club in the world in Berkshire took precedence on all of their FM frequencies).
    After the game, alongside the recriminations as to how abysmal Reading were, there was hefty debate as to who they would go for. The usual managerial merry-go-round names were bandied around (comically, Pardew was tipped for a return as well as thinking that Sam Allardyce would dirty his hands with them), though their former centre-half and pundit Adrian Williams apparently wanted Ainsworth in when pressed to name a preferred candidate.
    Though this was after him adamantly insisting that the new manager had to have real experience of managing in the Championship, and also that Reading had won the Premier League (you'd like to think he misspoke though knowing the arrogance of some Reading fans it's not inconceivable he actually believed that).

On the basis of what I've heard, I don't think Ainsworth is going to be their first choice, though there is a distinct possibility at least that they may make an approach further down the line if they get knocked back by bigger names.
    In terms of how appealing the job is, by the looks of things at the Madejski Stadium it doesn't bode well at all in the short-term. Anyone taking the job will surely have to reckon on having to rebuild in League 1, and then be under intense pressure to start producing results, or just about stay up in the Championship and hope that a few free transfers come off and get a respectable mid-table finish.
    If Ainsworth is holding out for the right job to come along, he might give this one a pass for now.

• I had a look on their fan site, and there is quite a swell of support for Gareth... though most who would like hom do admit that the club's hierarchy would probably go for a bigger name.... here's hoping they do !

• "Him" .... not hom !!

• a manager from the portuguese 1st division is favourite

• @rmjlondon said:
    a manager from the portuguese 1st division is favourite

Julio Geordio

• Thats the one

• @rmjlondon Nice try. It's going to be Nathan Jones.

• Yesterday was a timely reminder that Ainsworth turned down the opportunity to speak with a struggling Championship team in Barnsley earlier this year, and look where both us and them have ended up. He’s clearly very astute and I can’t imagine he’d have any interest in a job which might have him managing back in League 1 next season.

• he will not be going to Reading or any other championship club because they will nearly always go for experience, Ipswich didn't and look where they are, Brentford didn't and are now dropping like a stone.

• @rmjlondon - Whilst I am reluctant to argue with the brains of this forum, I would draw your attention to the fact that two inexperienced managers namely Daniel Farke of Norwich and Frank Lampard of Derby are currently lying first and fourth in the Championship!

• @BuckinghamBlue said:

@rmjlondon said:
    a manager from the portuguese 1st division is favourite

Julio Geordio

Done deal, Chris Waddle as his number two.

• there u go, u heard it hear first !!

• Hear hear.

• Luis Castro

• Trevor Stroud said at the Fans Council meeting last night that no official approach had been received from Reading FC. Gareth's odd have shortened but Phil Parkinson is still the odds-on favourite.

• Once we are in the Championship it will be more likely he will be poached. Bottom of the championship club will want a 'name' to save them and get fans on their side rather than a top half of League One manager. Possibly a short-sighted mistake for them...good for us. Gareth knows he is building a nice little reputation for himself in Bucks.

• Just had a look on the Reading forum... and according to one post, the post said " my sources at Wycombe tell me he wants to fulfill his duties for Wycombe on Saturday, then talk to us on Sunday"... sounds like they have a load of bullshitters as well !!

• I'm worried because Richie hasn't advised us Gareth is leaving!

• It was advised last night from Big Trev. There has been no approach. But BIG compensation sought if it did happen

• I think Brentford could be the ideal job, if the current incumbent has not done anything in the next couple of years. New stadium, a bit more upwardly mobile. There is no need for GA to jump at the first batting of strugglers eyelashes. He is only raising his profile with us, as @Wendoverman says.

• I’m not sure. I do have the feeling that Reading would be a good next move for GA. it would then be a question of timing. I think if he feels that he has taken us as far as we can realistically go (and 9th in League 1 is probably pretty close to our ceiling at the moment) now is probably the right time for him to move, particularly if he thinks we’ll benefit from a hefty slice of compensation.

If however he is a dreamer, and believes he can keep us moving upwards he would probably stay.

My gut says that if Reading do make an approach he will go.

• If people don't think Reading would be a good move for him, I wonder who they think would be?
    Close geographically, much bigger budget then us, big crowds, fairly recent Premier league club. Probably the ideal sort of move.

Let's hope not for now, mind!

• Reading, along with QPR and Blackburn are the only places I really worry about GA leaving us for. And now Brentford, thanks to @Shev

• Reading are pitiful

No way Gaz leaves us mid season to join them

• @eric_plant said:
    Reading are pitiful

No way Gaz leaves us mid season to join them

You’ve done it now.

• Gaz has got way more about him than that

Relax