Skip to content

Gareth Ainsworth’s Unique Ability

I can think of no other manager in the Football League who has GA’s ability to identify, attract and inspire young players of character and talent to realise their potential. The system of recruiting and developing young players which has been forced upon the club by the disbanding of the academy is arguably more cost-effective. It is hard to imagine that another manager would match the qualities which have made GA and his management team so successful and it would not surprise me if Bill Luby and Jim Collis have made clear during discussions over the past year or so that their continued interest depended on his continued employment. As a concomitant of that, GA’s new five year contract may well have recognised in financial terms just how important he is.

If I am anywhere near the truth in my speculation, I can think of no more compelling reason for Legacy Members to vote (subject to satisfactory arguments/financial commitments from the bidders in the New Year) for acceptance of the proposed takeover.
I have little doubt that continued success and a resumption of occasional football fortune would follow.

Comments

• Stop sitting in the fence @micra!
    (Kudos for nailing your colours to it anyway...!)

• @micra - Whilst I don't disagree with your assessment of Gareth's ability, I do feel that Dobbo is the unsung hero here. Perhaps a similar relationship as shared by Clough and Taylor, the former seeming to be less successful when without his partner.

• As good a manager as Gareth Ainsworth undoubtedly is, basing a long term decision on a short term factor is not very sensible

The vote on whether to accept the proposed bid will affect the football club forever.

Gareth Ainsworth could be gone by July

• I think GA would be amused at being described as a “short-term factor”.

• And pigs might fly @eric_plant.

• To be fair to @eric_plant , he is right (although not sure why he has picked the month of July??)

Investment decision will be relevant to WWFC long after GA is but a very fond memory.

• a purely arbitrary choice

feel free to substitute with the month of your choice

He could be gone a week after the vote. Depends on how dramatic you're feeling

• @micra said:
    I think GA would be amused at being described as a “short-term factor”.

The club is 131 years old. Of course he's a short term factor.

• You can never predict the future in football but the fact that GA has been with us for so long and has committed to extend his contract tells you how happy he is at Wycombe and how happy the club is with him. Dobbo has also been a key man in the progress that we have made.
    For what it’s worth, both of them have publicly supported the prospect of outside investment. They know full well that they can only keep outperforming wealthier clubs for so long under the restrictions imposed by our current structure.

• It's hardly surprising that they would support it is it?

Tony Adams supported the Steve Hayes takeover as well

• I could be gone by July.

• @mooneyman said:
    @micra - Whilst I don't disagree with your assessment of Gareth's ability, I do feel that Dobbo is the unsung hero here. Perhaps a similar relationship as shared by Clough and Taylor, the former seeming to be less successful when without his partner.

Yes, I have to concur with that @mooneyman. GA & Dobbo are two very good and talented fellows that don't seem to have an ounce of arrogance in them. I also have a strong feeling that @micra is on the right lines regarding the proposed investment/investors and the GA/management team connection. I don't have a vote as not a Legacy member so only my opinion and no axe to grind as such.

• Statistically @Wendoverman I think I could trump you there but I wouldn’t like anyone to think that that makes me any less committed to the successful long-term future of our beloved football club.

• @micra climate change will probably see us all through a few more winters yet! I certainly think that investment is vital for the survival of the club but what form that investment takes is my worry. I will be looking forward to seeing the plan...hopefully after a very successful Christmas period.

• Statistically, most people who leave in July come back with tans.

• No tan this year for us, we went to Greenland and Iceland this July. ?

• I have a vote and will be voting for the takeover to be allowed.

• GA is up for manager of the month, and yet Twitter is pretty unanimous that Nathan Jones should get it...for Luton beating Gillingham, Bradford and Plymouth, and drawing with Rochdale. I must admit that is so much more impressive than beating Peterborough, Accrington and Shrewsbury, and drawing with Sunderland.

• @Shev said:
    GA is up for manager of the month, and yet Twitter is pretty unanimous that Nathan Jones should get it...for Luton beating Gillingham, Bradford and Plymouth, and drawing with Rochdale. I must admit that is so much more impressive than beating Peterborough, Accrington and Shrewsbury, and drawing with Sunderland.

It feels to me like Luton are in a false position for that reason, and come the midpoint of the season they will be at least 4 places lower.

• i would’ve thought Lee Bowyer would be in the mix. Agreed that what Gaz achieved trumps what Jones achieved in November when you look at it more critically than just as a numbers game.

• @Shev 'Twitter is pretty unanimous...'???
    Bloody hell the Rev must be popular.
    I'll wait to see what Facebook says...

• It’s all about the size of yer electorate isn’t it. Luton have a massive fan base desperate to see their great little club in the higher echelons where they belong. Where’s @CindyIncidentally when you want her opinion?

• If “his” my apologies.

• @Wendoverman said:
    @Shev 'Twitter is pretty unanimous...'???
    Bloody hell the Rev must be popular.
    I'll wait to see what Facebook says...

I must have stumbled on the Luton-specific regional version, Litter.

• I’m childishly keen to see the number of views reach 1000 on this presciently timed thread of mine !

• I just edged it over for you old chap.

• Just as I was nodding off @drcongo and another 20% since! I’s buzzin’ but I’ll be buzzin’ even more once we have no reason to doubt that GA is as committed to Wycombe Wanderers as I think he is.