Skip to content

Trust AGM this evening

Anyone planning to go. I see it is facebook streamed - a positive development in principle.

Perhaps a little surprising that no election is required for trust board at this important time.

Key news I suppose will be on progress on "the deal". Not sure I will be struggling to remember my facebook password for this evening though.

Comments

• Isn't the fact no-one else is standing for election is a huge blow to NiceCarrots and MarlowChair's argument that there are vast swathes of willing, business savvy people in the local area who could run WWFC far better than the current Trust?

• The non-election does mean there will be two new members of the board. Let's see what they can bring.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @OxfordBlue that's nothing to gloat about, more an indication of how absolutely apathetic we all are. If, in a few years time, it emerges that we got a terrible deal in the sale and are screwed as a result, I expect some people will, with hindsight, rue this moment as a key opportunity lost to have changed course.

• @aloysius said:
    @OxfordBlue that's nothing to gloat about, more an indication of how absolutely apathetic we all are. If, in a few years time, it emerges that we got a terrible deal in the sale and are screwed as a result, I expect some people will, with hindsight, rue this moment as a key opportunity lost to have changed course.

I’m gloating about it, it concerns me. But I think it dispels the idea that there’s all these qualified people out there willing to devote hours upon hours to WWFC pro bono and we should bin off the current board for them.

• @aloysius - I don't know how much volunteering you do, or your reasons for not doing more, but apathy is in my experience a fair way down the list of excuses. In this specific context it is more likely that those who are qualified either have pressing work or family commitments or prioritise other voluntary activities and causes. And of course sadly there will be some put off by the 'politics' of the role, preferring perhaps to leave that for the remunerated day job not the unpaid spare time role.

• @OxfordBlue Should I take it from your comments that you don't consider the two (soon to be) new board members, Peter Lerner and Bob Massie, to fit the description of qualified people willing to devote hours to running WWFC?

• @Uncle_T said:
    @OxfordBlue Should I take it from your comments that you don't consider the two (soon to be) new board members, Peter Lerner and Bob Massie, to fit the description of qualified people willing to devote hours to running WWFC?

No - I absolutely am not saying that.

I'm just challenging the narrative some are trying to push on here that the current board are totally inept amateurs, and that there is stiff competition for everyone currently elected member from multiple more qualified outsiders.

• It is always easy to criticise from a safe distance, much harder to step forward and put yourself in the firing line.
    I applaud those standing for election or re-election whilst continuing to have grave doubts about those who seem to know all the questions but not many of the answers.

• @OxfordBlue you're right to challenge the narrative that there's stiff competition for places on the board (not sure that narrative ever materialised though). I'm not sure the lack of elections disproves the narrative (that certainly exists) that the current board are inept amateurs.

@Baldric I include myself in my description of Wycombe fans as apathetic. Given my very low opinion of the current board and my regular moans about lack of transparency and democratic accountability I should really have put myself up for election. But being based in London with a job that takes up most waking hours made me rule that out very early. I applaud everyone who finds the time to take on such a demanding role as Trust director. I just wish I could as well so that I could do it better ;)

• edited November 2018

@aloysius said:

But being based in London with a job that takes up most waking hours made me rule that out very early. I applaud everyone who finds the time to take on such a demanding role as Trust director. I just wish I could as well so that I could do it better ;)
    >

This is exactly what rules out lots of other people too.

I'm not saying the trust is currently comprised of the best business people in the local area. It probably isn't.

The best local business people in the Wycombe area probably also have very busy schedules, long working days and perhaps long commutes from London too.

After you rule those people out, I just don't believe there is an extensive pool of qualified people who could step in and do better.

• it is probably inevitable that the vast majority of people putting themselves forward for such a role are likely to be retired (or retiring) and with no young children. Unfortunate perhaps but life.

While no group of people will ever get everything right, I have seen no evidence that either the trust or the football board have been inept. Overall they seem to have done a pretty good job over the trust owned years (after perhaps a difficult first year). Not sure we need another bout of mudslinging now though.

I don't understand what is meant by "amateurs". In its purest concept it is true as they are not paid but that surely is not the point being made. Does it mean they have no experience of running sports clubs - well I believe that is true on the Trust Board but then that would apply to virtually every football club. it just seems like a meaningless "accusation" that becomes social media fact.

• I too have a job that does not allow me to spare the time. Also I would have trouble running a jumble sale. Put the two together and my unsuitability is obvious.

• Im logged into the Live Stream but nothings happening (latest is the 7th November Meeting) Can others see the stream?

• No @Slaphead nothing here yet either

• edited November 2018

I can't get anywhere either. Really they shouldn't announce it's going to be streamed and then fail to do it.

• It will be a major disappointment having decided against making the 90 minute journey knowing it would be streamed.

• Just checking @mooneyman and @slaphead we should be on the WWT Live Stream Closed Group?

• Seems strange that if they decided against it or there's a technical issue not to put a notification on the FB page

• We have checked and the live stream seems to be working ding from this end.

• Yes as far as I am aware. I am extremely annoyed as I would have gone.

• Need to get to ding urgently

• @Onlooker said:
    Just checking @mooneyman and @slaphead we should be on the WWT Live Stream Closed Group?

I assume so - that's what I'm looking at

• Oh well, frees up my evening I guess! Hopefully they will upload the recording afterwards.

• @ForeverBlue said:
    We have checked and the live stream seems to be working ding from this end.

I'm looking at Live Stream page, had no problem with last meeting

• Thank you @Slaphead if as @ForeverBlue says the stream is working then we will be able to view the recording

• Nope, nowt on

• No stream. Zilch.

• Apologies for the failure of the Live Stream which all seemed to be ok from our end. We will aim to publish the relevant information on the Trust website over the next day or two.