Skip to content

Martin O'Neill

Sir Martin and Mr Guppy are looking for work again I hear. Is there any role we could find for them back at Wycombe ?

Comments

• Apart from Howe at Bournemouth I am struggling to think of managers that go back and achieve during a second spell. I would hope MON will have a long and happy retirement. As for Steve Guppy how about a crossing coach?

• Mourinho won the league in his 2nd spell at Chelsea

• @Fit2drop said:
    Apart from Howe at Bournemouth I am struggling to think of managers that go back and achieve during a second spell. I would hope MON will have a long and happy retirement. As for Steve Guppy how about a crossing coach?

Graham Taylor?

• Successful second spell at both Watford & Villa. If only he'd been given the opportunity of a second spell as England manager...

• @Wisdom_Of_Harry said:
    Successful second spell at both Watford & Villa. If only he'd been given the opportunity of a second spell as England manager...

You're joking right? Anyone who thought Carlton Palmer was international class needed sacking!

• Maybe he could buy it.

• edited November 2018

Martin was in his usual good form last night at the Ex-players dinner. The only reference to his ROI departure was when he arrived late and John D Taylor quipped that he was probably discussing compensation, to which Martin laughed out loud.

The theme of the evening was looking back over 10 years of annual dinners, and Alan Hutchinson and JDT were awarded life memberships for their sterling work as the backbone of the organisation. We were shown how they have both had fascinating careers in journalism and the media.

Martin was then interviewed and he was fulsome in his praise and appreciation of JDT and Hutch, particularly for their humour. He recalled his first match for the club, away to Merthyr Tydfil, when he was picked up at Aust Services at the Severn River bridge. When they got to Merthyr he said people were still coming off the coach after 15 minutes. He said to Hutch, are all these directors playing and Hutch said "only two of them" and that was the start of their playful relationship. I was on the coach that day, working for the club at the time as programme editor, sat near the front and I will never forget Martin coming up the steps and the look of complete bewilderment at all the 'blazers' cluttering up the coach. All that stopped very quickly, only players were allowed on in future.

Hutch has had a very difficult time recently, with the tragic loss of his wife Kathy, who was the WWEPA Treasurer, but we were all glad to see him back on top form, interviewing the ex-players.

Martin also spoke very movingly of his love for the club, he said he gets countless requests to appear at Celtic and Leicester dinners, he has only just attended a Celtic one for the first time, in New York, and never appeared at a Leicester one yet, much as he loves those clubs. He said wouldn't miss a WWEPA dinner for the world, he thinks the atmosphere at these dinners is unique in football, to have so many generations of ex-players attending. Interestingly Alan Gane spoke in the same tone, and both left the club on rather difficult terms.

Gareth also spoke of how he had learnt so much after some difficult early years (Martin told everyone to keep this jewel as long as possible), and he accepted his ex-players tie as formal acknowledgement of his retirement from football, although not from Sunday games.

The most recent players there were from the early 90s, Creaser, Stapes, Robbo, Rhino, Sir Matt, Dave Jones the physio, and Kim Casey made his first appearance. Martin told him his main job was to score the first goal. Also there was Geoff Anthony, a very skilful player from the 70s, he said he had made his first visit to Adams Park in midweek, popped into the club shop and asked whether he would be allowed to have a look around the ground and was bowled over when Matt Cecil took him on a long, guided tour.

The American investors were mentioned a few times, interestingly it was always the "three Americans", so perhaps Steve G. Horowitz from Inner Circle Sports is more than just the broker for the deal.

The evening was filmed, hopefully that will be available in some way soon.

• Many thanks for that interesting and enlightening report, Steve.

• @Steve_Peart does MON's love of WW, Celtic & Leicester imply there is no love lost for our new friends at Sunderland?

• Perhaps the third American is Donald Trump!

• How weird is that. I was only wondering this morning, what Geoff Anthony would be doing now. Only then to realise that he must be retired from work now as he was my PE teacher at Chesham Technical High and I'm not that far off the pension age! Would love to have had the opportunity to meet him again, always thought he was a "good guy".

• I think it's always a shame that Lawrie Sanchez never comes along to these events. I presume he is invited but chooses to decline the offer.

• How refreshing to read Steve’s post after seeing on another thread Marlowchair’s attempt to use the dinner as another excuse to fire accusations in all directions.

• Did Gareth and Andrew Howard confirm they would attend last year Alan?

Did they subsequently not attend?

• @Wisdom_Of_Harry, no mention of Sunderland.

• @marlowchair said:
    Did Gareth and Andrew Howard confirm they would attend last year Alan?

Did they subsequently not attend?

And that means what? Everyone hates them/the Trust/the board/the crisps/the beer?

I’m sure (guessing here) a few people may have been a bit disappointed but I doubt anyone other than you felt/feels angry about it a year or so later.

What a strange and bitter man you seem at times, weaving conspiracy theories in the air and venting it all on a pretty ineffectual (sorry @drcongo) forum.

There are genuinely interesting and important questions that are raised by you and others but then you seem to make up answers to please yourself and your world (of WWFC) view.

• Weaving, waving? Let’s call the whole thing off!

• @bookertease to be fair, there was no need for this thread to be derailed. That was @glasshalffull ridiculing any dissent, as has been his tactic for many years now.

Thanks for the write up @Steve_Peart - lovely to read.

• Where did I ‘derail this thread’ by ridiculing any dissent’?

• Come on Alan, you've been doing it for many years :wink:

• So disagreeing with someone translates as derailing a thread or ridiculing dissent? Didn’t realise you were such sensitive souls.

• irony klaxon

• Sorry. I didn't help matters. But it was a good, positive post (Steve's) that I read soon after Marlow's on the other thread being very negative about how the club view this excellent association and it wound me up more than I wish it did

• Exactly, which is all I was saying in response to Steve’s excellent post on this thread.

• Steve’s post is indeed excellent. The follow up from @glasshalffull was the exact opposite. We all know Marlow is furious and we all know glass half has his rose tints on whenever Beeks & Co are on manoeuvres. It doesn’t need to be on every thread.

• If you bothered to read and understand what I wrote, I pointed out the difference between the typically negative and accusatory nature of marlowchair’s take on the dinner and that of Steve’s more accurate description of an excellent night.
    I have no idea what that has got to do with Mr.Beeks ‘and Co’ other than to fuel your obvious agenda.

• There's always people who take the extremes on negativity and positives though aren't there.

You see it on the fb page every week. People losing the plot because we've gone a goal down, and the other types - we'll have played dreadfully and lost 3-0, yet they're finding a positive in that we had some good corners.

• @glasshalffull said:
    If you bothered to read and understand what I wrote, I pointed out the difference between the typically negative and accusatory nature of marlowchair’s take on the dinner and that of Steve’s more accurate description of an excellent night.

MarlowChair's post wasn't even in this thread, you brought it in. And you did so in a pretty negative post where you couldn't say something nice about Steve's excellent post without using it as an excuse to bash MarlowChair yet again.

I have no idea what that has got to do with Mr.Beeks ‘and Co’ other than to fuel your obvious agenda.

Steve's excellent post had nothing to do with MarlowChair's post but you still used it to fuel your obvious agenda.

• They were talking about the same function. Do I have to check with you and Arnos Grove before linking together two contrasting descriptions of the same event that just happened to appear on different threads?