Skip to content

Best left back in 134 years? Jacobson/Titterten

LX1LX1
edited November 2018 in Football

Body

Poll not found

Comments

• edited November 2018

Nice to see confidence in JJ but I'm not voting as it's too early in his/our career/club history and I feel that would somehow be disrespectful to a guy who's trying his best atm.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    • Seems you have your bites @LX1 . Good work

Not adding Steve Walford as an option was the clincher

• No contest.

• @fame_46 , it's our intoxicated friend doing the poll!

Be glad it's at least a left back who has played that many games!

• No Ijah Anderson? Rubbish poll.

• If we are going right back to formation date, surely there must be a case for William Locks from the very very early days. Bill was an outstanding defender rumoured to be on the edge of a transfer to Preston North End (the Man U of the day) but for that tragic bevelling accident at Parker Knolls that cost him his right leg. He was never the same player after that. If you check the early history I suspect there are loads of Bill Locks to be mentioned.

• In (relatively) recent years contenders would be Vinnicombe, Golbourne and Bell. I think Jacobson is better than the two permanent Wycombe players (with Bell closer), and Golbourne despite probably being a better player doesn’t really count.

• @Jonny_King said:
      No Ijah Anderson? Rubbish poll.

Add in Alan Beeton and you've got yourself a real contest!

• Who was the fella we signed from Beaconsfield a few years back ? ....or was he a right back ?

• Steve Dell.

• Ryan Sellers was seen as the new Philip Lahm for a while whenever we lost a game.
      Until he actually played when it became clear quickly he was the new Carlos Lopez.

Actually Carlos himself must be a pretty good shout. Only ever had one bad game....

• @Chris said:
      In (relatively) recent years contenders would be Vinnicombe, Golbourne and Bell. I think Jacobson is better than the two permanent Wycombe players (with Bell closer), and Golbourne despite probably being a better player doesn’t really count.

Did Craig Woodman once win player of the season, or have I imagined that?

• @shimmeringleonknight Woodman was indeed a good left-back.

• Sandell was a don in the basement division, an early day Jacobsen with even more set piece delivery.
      But everyone decided he was useless the second we got to league 1

• 1982 to 83 we had two superb left backs in George Borg and Mark Hill. by the beginning of 84/85 season we had neither.
      Graham Pearce wore the number 3 shirt that season, and he would be in a top 5 of worst left backs for the Wanderers.

• Woodman is a decent shout, although I’d say clearly inferior to Jacobson.

• @ChasHarps said:
      Steve Dell.

That's him ta... couldn't think of name

• Vinnicombe and JJ stand out to me, Clint Easton and Sandell were good for shorter periods.

• I thought Mickey Bell was quality ... until he left and we all ended up hating him... I think him and JJ have been the best

• @DevC said:
      If we are going right back to formation date, surely there must be a case for William Locks from the very very early days. Bill was an outstanding defender rumoured to be on the edge of a transfer to Preston North End (the Man U of the day) but for that tragic bevelling accident at Parker Knolls that cost him his right leg. He was never the same player after that. If you check the early history I suspect there are loads of Bill Locks to be mentioned.

Spouting Bil Locks about players you've never seen? Surely not. Apologies in advance, too easy to pass up.

Loved Mickey Bell untill I hated him, more lwb than lb maybe. Sellers also probably better going forward.

• Gary Hand was/is my all-time favourite. JJ is better though. And the season(?) that Mickey Bell played there he was really good (in my memory).

• Joe "Get your Jakes out for the lads" Jacobson

• Terry Howard was very good

• Micky Bell just ahead of JJ. Steve Brown the worst left back and one of our best ever midfielders.

• Going back to the 70s Gary Hand LB in the side that played Middlesborough Long hair / Beard looked like he was in a prog rock band . Decent player ,

• @FlyingPostman 94/95 Steve Brown was exceptional at left back. Played there a lot and won player of the year

• Tony Craig was good

• edited November 2018

@FlyingPostman , strange memory you have there. Maybe you're remembering correctly that he was poor when he first came in, and incorrectly linking to that to him playing left back.
      He was so good at left back I remember being disappointed he was moved back to the midfield position he'd initially looked so poor for us in

Mickey Bell obviously a quality wing back, but like Gregory (was it?) said, he wasn't the best full back, not the best winger, but an excellent wing back.

Him going pre-season in 97 (again, I think), utterly deflated the optimistic mood pre-season

• There's no point doing the worst left back as we all know the answer is Lopez. That aside, Roger Johnson was a pretty bad left back, especially in comparison to how good he was in the centre.