Skip to content

Possible future transfers/Released players from other clubs

As heartbreaking as Wembley was, I do enjoy this time of year when we can speculate about players that we'd love to see at the club who have recently been released. Thought it would be fun to get a thread going.

For starters:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32662260

Joel Grant and Craig Eastmond both released by Yeovil, if memory serves Eastmond wasn't to shabby when he was here and of course Grant probably played some of his best football at Adams Park.

Comments

• Can't imagine we could afford the wages of either but who knows.

• Gary Dicker, Jimmy Keohane, Joel Grant, Joe Devera, Andy Webster and Stuart Taylor plus a couple of loans

• Does anyone know the availability or contract details of Max Power at Tranmere? Very much liked the look of him when they played us at home and he finished the season as their top goalscorer with 10 goals from midfield - the type of midfielder we need with Saunders heading back to Brentford I believe!

• @Brownie said:
    Does anyone know the availability or contract details of Max Power at Tranmere? Very much liked the look of him when they played us at home and he finished the season as their top goalscorer with 10 goals from midfield - the type of midfielder we need with Saunders heading back to Brentford I believe!

I'd buy him just for his name :-)

• In continuation here are a list of players which I personally would welcome any 4 or 5 from - with two centre halves, one or two centre midfielders and a winger ideally needed. Some might be somewhat ambitious, but I really have no idea what Gaz is able to pull off after the wonders he managed last season!

Defenders: Christian Burgess (released by Peterborough), Reece Wabara (released by Doncaster)

Midfielders: Max Power (Tranmere), Jack Payne (transfer listed at Peterborough), Jeff Hughes (released by Fleetwood), Wes Fogden (released by Portsmouth), Dean Furman (released by Doncaster), Joe Edwards (released by Yeovil), Jacob Mellis (released by Blackpool)

Wingers: Jason Banton (released by Plymouth), Joel Grant (released by Yeovil), Jacques Maghoma (released by Sheffield Wednesday - very unlikely, but they love us so why not a nice favour!) Nathaniel Mendez-Laing (released by Peterborough - seems unlikely, but spent time on loan at Cambridge so possible depending on wages)

These are obviously ignoring Mawson, Saunders and Yennaris all of whom it would be an absolute revelation to capture again. I do however think all to be very unlikely though, with some of the above potentially more likely. I am struggling to find decent centre halves available on a free though, but with Fletcher released today you would think that Gaz must already have someone lined up in that position.

Thoughts and additions?

• I can see what you mean about not being able to afford their wages but at the same time I think a lot of us thought the same about the likes of Hayes and Pierre last season, so who knows?!

That's a pretty comprehensive list there, although I'd have to agree some may be a tad ambitious. The Donny fans seemed a bit shocked about Reece Wabara being released, a lot of them think he's Championship bound so realistically think that won't happen.

I'd also steer clear of Banton, I've heard a great deal from Plymouth fans about him and not a lot of it good. Honestly think it would be a tremendous piece of business if we were to get Joel back especially with Paris leaving and Fred going back to Millwall.

And for some reason I have a sneaking suspicion Saunders will sign for us next year, don't ask me why but think out of the three he's the most likely to come back. Again just if's and buts at this stage!

• Agreed that my list is somewhat ambitious - but as we've both said Ainsworth has proven he can pull a few wonders out of the hat. I for one would never have seen Hayes, Jacobson or Pierre signing last summer and the loans have been a revelation.

It will be very interesting to see who we do pick up, but with many clubs already beginning to acquire players for the upcoming season it will already be all hands to the pump for Ainsworth and I for one am very excited to see what he does this summer.

• @HaywoodJablome, Saunders, do you mean this campaign 2015/16 or 2016/17?

I think you may have stumbled on something there, why not as Saunders still has few niggley injuries to address. Pretty please Brentford.

• edited May 2015

I like your feeling about Saunders, That would be great to get him back, what a good
    addition that would be .... nice one... Haywoodjablome ...

• There was a guy who was sat next to me at Plymouth home had heard rumours that Sam was thinking about staying. Obviously I put it down to wishful thinking but we know that Ainsworth's Wycombe is like the Godfather with loan players, just when they think they've got out he pulls them back in!

• 2015/16. It sounds ridiculous to say it but at 31 years old and with a couple of injuries behind you've got to think Championship level might be a step too far for him.

After having such a good season this year I think Brentford might struggle, no doubt a class player at League One and Two level but can't see him playing much next season if he stays.

In that sense he'll want to play for a club he knows that he'll get games for and that'll give him as much of the ball as he wants (THAT'S US SAM!). He's been through the woes of Wembley as we all have and I think as a player that can only bring you closer to your teammates/club.

It just makes sense for everyone. Please pretty please SAM!!!!!!

• ...Or all of what I've just said is wishful thinking, either way if anyone could do it it would be Ainsworth that would pull it off.

• I agree Please SAM!!! please...

• That would be awesome if we could get him to sign

• @HaywoodJablome, Grass ain't always greener but it certainly was for the Chairboys. Awesome day out, now that I have stopped mopping and sulking around.

• I think we could also see Peter Murphy leave this summer, he is on around £1200 a week (Only Hayes on more) and we definitely dont get our moneys worth.

• I love a bit of transfer speculation as much as the next man but how many of us had the names of JJ, Sido and Mawson on our radar this time last year? Three of the best signings of recent years and proof that Ainsworth knows the Moneyball game. Does impeccable research and I expect I will be using Google to find out about the new signings when they come.

• @WWFC_ where does this speculation about player wages come from? Around £65k a year seems a lot to me for any of our players.

• No Speculation..
    £1000 p/w
    £100 Appearance Fee
    £50 per point

I heard his family discussing it one week at the match.. They also believed it was one reason why Murphy werent getting a game as often. If Murphy didnt play it saved Wycombe between £100-£250 a game.

• With Murphy I think it was just a loss of form or interest due to him being homesick. I can't see why you would pay £1k a week and not play him just to save bonus money. In any case he came on as sub many times which must have triggered a bonus. Additionally most players would be on an appearance bonus, Craig certainly was.

• Barton would be a good signing, Paris Cowan Hall was hated at Plymouth and was rubbish according to there supporters so maybe a similar situation of him being homesick for London.

I agree on Murphy and think he will go back north.

• @blueh_w said:
    Barton would be a good signing, Paris Cowan Hall was hated at Plymouth and was rubbish according to there supporters so maybe a similar situation of him being homesick for London.

I agree on Murphy and think he will go back north.

Gladly, we are on the same page, Banton is a stone throw away from his London roots and Ainsworth has a mythical way of getting the best out of players including Hayes, who didn't pull up trees at Plymouth.

I'm looking forward to Ainsworth new additions.

• To re turn to the Sam Saunders conjecture, another factor in our favour, for a player of his age, is that with a settled life style: partner, kids (?) schools etc, a club close to home - which we must be given our proximity to Brentford, is a big attraction.

• Cambridge released Tom Elliot, i thought he looked decent against us

• Sam Saunders signed a new contract early this season and is contracted until the end of 2015/16 so I doubt very much that will happen.

• edited May 2015

I loved Sam Saunders in a WWFC shirt but I have to say I can't see him signing, and I haven't done at all during his loan. He seems to have always been clear about this season being all about match fitness before next season at Brentford. He's a huge fan of that club and the fans love him, and no doubt he's on a much higher wage than we could afford.

Yennaris and Mawson are the two most likely in my opinion, but again, I wouldn't get our hopes up. Even if they don't sign, I feel confident with Ainsworth and think he's proven his credentials when looking for players on a budget.

• Tommy Smith released by Brentford.

• I feel he would be another spring!!

• I know we've had managers who've signed players based on the 'he looked good against us ' theory but I'm happy and confident Gareth and the rest of the coaching staff use a more comprehensive approach. I wouldn't be surprised to see the odd loan signing from this year sign up (Fred might be a left field shout) but I reckon the Ainsworth net is cast a little wider than Google and Championship Manager.
    Looking forward to seeing what happens, not looking forward to a lot of the 'my friend knows his brother' speculation and not expecting to see a complete squad until early August.