Skip to content

Match day thread: Peterborough

Comments

• @Stewie63 said:

@Malone said:

@Stewie63 said:
    What the Posh thought:

https://www.londonroad.net/Forum/showthread.php?tid=15685&pid=1029666#pid1029666

Apparently we were rubbish.

Did you read more than one comment?

Yes ...and?....did you?

A couple of Wycombe were rubbish comments, interspersed with others saying we deserved the win, Wycombe were "neither good nor bad", lots of frustrations with their own players, and moaning at them not shooting from the freekick at the end.

Fairly balanced all in.

• Whatever Ainsworth said to Fred after the Coventry game (when he failed to track back and let their guy run unchallenged up the wing to cross for the goal) seems to have worked wonders.

Since then he’s been a completely different player and his defensive play running back to support the full back whenever we lose possession has been fantastic.

• Great performance from Fred amongst all the rest today. I’ve not been his biggest fan since his return but he seems to be getting better and better.

That performance should serve notice to the league that no-one should consider us a 3 point banker.

And I fancy a bloody good go at the Luton next week.

• In fairness, there wasn't a great deal of chances for either side, but despite that I thought it was an absorbing game. No question in my mind that we played the better football (not often we get to say that!) and on the day we were the better team. Really refreshing to see us pushing for a 2nd goal after we'd taken the lead, as my worry was that we'd sit back and defend, but far from it and probably the ony criticism of the performance I would have is that we didn't put the game to bed when we really should have.

Not sure about Evans comments about time wasting. I thought the 5 minutes was rather generous myself. Apart from our substutions I thought we looked more intent on pushing for another goal than time wasting today. The only stoppage I can remember was for their keeper. I was pretty sure an extra minute was added to appease him, as he looked on the verge of exploding on the sidelines every time we took more than a second over a throw in!

• The highlight of my Saturday night after watching us get three points used to be reading the much-missed ‘Opposition Fan’s Views’ from Vital. Steve Evans is never going to disappoint for a quote so thought I’d do the honours tonight and do a quick copy and paste job with a selection of Posh views from today’s game:

First, manager Steve Evans … “If Matt scores we win. When you are battling to stay in a promotion race and in the middle of a tough away game you have to take chances like that. It was a great chance superbly created by Ivan Toney, but Matt was poor in everything he did today. We have been hard to contain when we score the first goal and that would have been the case today I’m sure.

But we were poor overall. We finished the last game badly at Burton and that form carried on today. We felt we were playing against a team we should have been able to deal with, but we were well off it.

It’s very disappointing. We didn’t play with our normal spark. There wasn’t much in the game and we have lost to a lucky goal. We tried to chase the game by changing a few things, but we didn’t do enough.”

Leigh Lazaretti – “Massive credit to Wycombe today game plan spot on. Letting us play out from the back attempting long balls which their defence coped very well with. Would have been different if godden had scored but thats how it goes. I know we were time wasting last week but that was a different level today!!!! Let's just move on.”

Mick Bratley – “Wycombe are gash. We are poor.” and,
    “Why on earth did they not let Cummings have a go from that last minute free kick, instead of just putting it in the box by Reed? Played poorly today and Wycombe were one of the worst sides I’ve seen this season.”

High Janus – “But we're still lucky, as Taffazoli should have been sent off.”

Stumpy – “…I thought Wycombe bossed us throughout … and that last minute free kick was an abomination”

Panda – “Deeply frustrating. Wycombe were rubbish.”

Lewis – “A poor performance and Wycombe deserved to win. Why on earth did Posh not shoot with that last minute free kick?”

South lincs posh – “…I didn’t see Wycombe as a good or bad side (a f*cking time wasting one though!), all I saw was a really shit performance from us pretty much all over the park…”

Posh Mick – “We were poor, very poor. In fact there were better performances in the White Horse. Wished I'd stayed there!”

Barn 67 – “… Wycombe weren't all that but passed the ball a bit quicker than us, neither goalie had much to do all game, other than Goddens telegraghed shot & a Maddison 20 yarder i can't remember their goalie having to do anything else.

To top a poor day off they ran out of Chicken Balti pies & getting 1 mile from the ground after the game took forever, but hey ho, we were bound to lose sooner or later but the manner of defeat was disappointing.”

• @Stewie63 said:
    What Steve Evans thought

In summary , we got lucky, they would have won if they'd taken their chances. We don't have the quality to score against them.

what an absolute fat pig ...was he watching another match...the arragonce of the main...May be he should lay off the burgers and get on the treadmill #sourgrapes

• @bigred87 said:
    That was the "complete performance" on my birthday aswell beautiful football played on the floor superb movement and every player putting there bodies on the line against a team undefeated away this season!!! Suck on them battered mars bars mr evans ??

Hope the rest of your birthday has been as good as this afternoon @bigred87.

• Delighted to see playing it on the floor through midfield created entertaining possession football. Love Bayo as much as the next person but delighted that the hoof ball that accompanies his selection had to be minimised today.

• Virtually eliminated in fact.

• @micra said:
    Virtually eliminated in fact.

Today we saw plan B. Plan B looks better than plan A. Bayo as impact sub against the top sides please Mr Ainsworth.

• @Manboobs said:

@micra said:

Today we saw plan B. Plan B looks better than plan A. Bayo as impact sub against the top sides please Mr Ainsworth.

Add Bayo to that team but keep the style of play and we'd have been even better. Samuel was willing but won almost nothing against his defender, he was simply out-muscled whether played to head or feet.

But if Bayo was in the team I do get the level of mental re-orientation that would be required for the rest of the them not to continually try to find him in the air.

• In fairness to the odious oaf, he is right. For all our slick build up, and crosses into the box, we didnt have many clear cut chances. JJ’s corners were disappointing in that very few found a target, crosses never got a man. Samuel ran well, but didnt look like getting on the end of balls

• I really expected more from posh..By passing the midfield with a long ball from defence..Thought it was just Wycombe that gets stick for those tactics.On the other hand Wycombe played it on the deck and was brilliant to watch.. roll on Saturday.

• @EssexWanderer said:

@Manboobs said:

@micra said:

Add Bayo to that team but keep the style of play and we'd have been even better. Samuel was willing but won almost nothing against his defender, he was simply out-muscled whether played to head or feet.

But if Bayo was in the team I do get the level of mental re-orientation that would be required for the rest of the them not to continually try to find him in the air.

Agree..Samuels worked hard but goals will be a minimum from him which his stats back up..Would have liked to see CMS in that position.

• @prufrock_91 said:
    In fairness to the odious oaf, he is right. For all our slick build up, and crosses into the box, we didnt have many clear cut chances. JJ’s corners were disappointing in that very few found a target, crosses never got a man. Samuel ran well, but didnt look like getting on the end of balls

I have some sympathy with JJ as he was clearly trying near post corners to counter Chapman’s height advantage. Put a ball anywhere near him and he’ll just pick it out of the air.

• We'll done @Richard_Cheese ... you've got the job for the rest of the season from here on !!?

• @Aylesburyblue said:

Agree..Samuels worked hard but goals will be a minimum from him which his stats back up..Would have liked to see CMS in that position.

Which we did at the end. Very nice being able to switch in CMS for Samuel or vice versa. Whilst Samuel may not score great numbers of goals the fact that we can’t hoof it at him changes the playing style to allow more creativity from those around him.

I agree with the theory that we don’t have to hoof it at Bayo either - but we do.

• Bayo carries a much greater goal scoring threat, however it was nice to see Samuels harrying the defenders whenever they had the ball - once the ball goes away from Bayo it’s gone.

• I think Bayo would be more effective with balls to his feet and a more measured build up to the wings.
    Don't forget about Kasket either. We have decent depth upfront at the moment.

I expected more from Peterborough but I had forgotten about the tried and tested Steve Evans style of play. It has been the same for years and Ainsworth planned with that in mind. The second half reaction of the Peterborough fans suggested they had seen them play badly a bit recently and it wasn't a one off. Evans is under pressure.

• They looked good playing out from the back but outside of that I was very surprised how ineffectual boro were. From what I've seen in highlight shows this season and their league position I expected much more from them and thought it would be a hard game. As it was they couldn't handle our pressing and didn't do the same to us allowing us space to play. They took their number 10 (dembele?) off which was a surprise as I thought he was by far their best player.

That's not to diminish in any way the hard work and industry from our lads. Thought Samuels was effective in harrying the full backs and on another day might have got more free kicks and even a pen, a good alternate with Bayo being out, and I have to say I thought all our boys played their respective roles well, both PCH and Fred tracking back which was good to see and I liked Macca at right back. Would have liked to have seen CMS come on a little earlier.

Had burger in the FA 20 mins into first half, taste was good but was a bit cold but ok. Beer int e Vere good as usual.

COYB

• I left Adams Park yesterday with a warm glow having watched us perform really well and win crowd were amazingly loud and united. Looked at the Gasroom this morning and buckets of cold water being thrown everywhere over the place. What on earth do people need to be happy with the team

• The thing is when you play Bayo, you always have to play at least one other striker alongside him due to his lack of pace and mobility.
    Yesterdays line up was very much a 4-5-1 with Samuels running his socks up front, this in turn gave us numerical advantage in midfield,and allowed our best play maker Bryn Morris more time and possesion of the ball, for what was the best performance ive seen from a Wycombe midfielder this season.
    Earlier games this season when weve played three up top, weve seen the oppositions midfield carve us open very easily and dominate possesion.

• @woodlands said:
    I left Adams Park yesterday with a warm glow having watched us perform really well and win crowd were amazingly loud and united. Looked at the Gasroom this morning and buckets of cold water being thrown everywhere over the place. What on earth do people need to be happy with the team

Really? It seems universally positive to me.

• Not sure where the cold water is that you talk about @woodlands . Giving your nickname were you near or involved in the heated argument I walked past on the way out of the stand as to how 'anyone but El-Abd was man of the match'?
    Made me smile as even in the glow of a great win two people found something to immediately moan about.

• Sometimes refs favour the forward sometimes they are lenient with the defender. Samuels was getting nothing from the ref yesterday so he did well in spite of being constantly tripped and pulled and not forgetting the odd nudge prior to receiving the ball all part of the game of course. I don’t think he is going to be prolific but as said before he gives us a real option rather than the excellent Bayo.

• @woodlands I don't think there's any cold water being thrown about! In fact I've rarely witnessed such harmony in the Gasroom. There's some debate over which forward options suit us best, but surely this is a positive discussion to be having? Having so many good forwards and different ways of playing is a major plus. Perhaps GA, like us isn't sure of his best forward line, but we must be a pain for managers planning a system against us. Evan's would never admit it of course, but he was completely caught out yesterday, allowing our midfielders far too much time on the ball to dictate the play, presumably because he thought we'd be by passing them with long balls.

• Bayo definitely offers more of a threat going forward but samuel’s mobility and work rate allow better pressing and for us to defend from the front. I’d love to see CMS and Samuel up front together, the defenders wouldn’t get a seconds peace and probably be forced to lump it all of the time. I also thought despite his size Samuel did well to hold the ball up and bring others into play, despite being small he gets his body in the right position to hold onto it, definitely not the finished article but a great prospect.

• There’s only one Alex Samuel.
    But I bet he’d be less miffed about the incessant addition of on an ‘s’ to his surname than Mark Tyler was about being Mary Tyler on the team sheet. When Aaron Chapman looked initially to have hurt himself quite badly in the second half I was waiting for a 41 year old woman to replace him.