Skip to content

First time at Adam's Park

Hi all, I moved to Wycombe a few years back and, while I'm not a Wanderers fan, I'd like to take my 6 year old to his first game, at his local ground.

Would you all recommend the family stand? Not averse to elsewhere in the ground, if there's a better atmosphere. I remember my first game, which was pretty loud and exciting... Would love him to experience the same.

Cheers!

Comments

• Firstly, thanks for bringing your son to Wycombe for his first game, hopefully you’ll both enjoy it.

Our recent matches have been pretty entertaining so it’s a good time to come to a match.

The family stand is basically the whole of the lower tier of the largest stand at the ground. It seems pretty popular with families and offers a pretty good view.

Better views are offered in the top tier but you’ll get a bit more choice language.

Do come as I think you’ll enjoy it and hopefully you’ll want to keep coming.

• I usually sit in the Family Stand with my son and sometimes daughter and other family members, both young and old. View from the back couple of rows is good and the atmosphere is usually good too. Not as loud and much less swearing than the terrace, definitely more atmosphere than the Beechdean and not as remote from the action as up in the Frank Adams. It is a good view from up there, but personally I like to be a bit closer to the pitch and think a six year old may engage with it more at Family Stand distance too. I recommend giving it a try. Back rows somewhere between the half-way line and the home terrace probably best for a mix of atmosphere, view and child friendliness.

• If your six year appreciates drumming it might be worthwhile choosing to be left of centre (facing the pitch) in the family stand. In my opinion we have a top notch drummer who leads and encourages singing by those fans who stand behind the goal on the terrace. Those standing can also produce some choice language, although you have chosen a game where there is no great great antipathy between the clubs.

The ground will probably be around half full and the atmosphere good. Welcome and I hope you enjoy it and come back.

• Guys, thanks so much for your recommendations. We're looking forward to it!

• Be interested if you could put a few lines on here afterwards to say what you and your child think of the experience.

• Get into the ground early and players are happy to sign autographs for the kids pitchside from the family stand. Who knows, 80 years from now he may stil have his Bayo signed program on his bedside table.

• Wycombe is known as a friendly, family club and are actively encouraging the next generation of fans by offering free tickets for under 13s. You might need to phone the ticket office to take advantage of that offer though as I don't think you can get free tickets via the online portal.
    As Manboobs says, bring a pen, buy a programme and you can get autographs at the side of the pitch during the warm-up if you're in the family stand. Alternatively, after the game you can meet the players as they leave at the players entrance from about 5.30pm although it's a much better experience on a warm day.
    Come and join us, you won't regret it.

• Also no apostrophe in Adams Park! ?

• Frisking by stewards normally finds them.

• Bring your own crisps.

• @mooneyman said:
    Bring your own crisps.

Haha.... just made laugh out loud that !

• Family stand is a great introduction i think. My daughter loved it. Close enough to pitch but good views. Far enough from tbe ancient moaners. Hope it's a good game for you and your young.

• Hi all,

Thanks for your recommendations and apologies for the apostrophe!

A perfect day for football, we decided not to go in early, as I was worried that with my son’s attention span, we would be lucky to last the match let alone any extra. We hung outside in the “fan zone” for a couple of drinks, watching young lads kick footballs at a giant, inflatable dartboard. Was quite amusing to see the poor girl get whacked in the head a few times.

We sat on the second row in the family stand, halfway down towards the terrace, which was a great spot.

He was fascinated by it all (as I’d hoped) and I happily deciphered the chants for him. Your drummer is decent. He should be put forward for the England job?

I was coerced into buying some food just before half time. I felt obliged to, given the occasion, so I spent all half time and eight minutes of the second half, queuing up for a couple of burgers.

The cool air and floodlights, added to the occasion and It was wonderful to get a goal down our end, and of course, to win the match.

From my point of view, I really enjoyed the game. Bar a couple of impressive saves from your ‘keeper, I felt Wycombe were in full control.

I don’t know how Wycombe fans felt, but from a neutral pov, Peterborough were completely pegged back and didn't seem to have any ideas. It felt like it was only going to go one way.

A thoroughly good home performance, with some quality defending and decent attacking. Ref didn't have a great game but there you go.

Wycombe fans were excellent and in good voice, too.

Thanks again for your suggestions. We both enjoyed it and I dare say we'll be back.

Cheers

• Hope you try a couple more games soon. Half season tickets will go on sale soon at very good prices (free for junior) even if you can’t make every game. Great to have your own seat, get to know your neighbours and make a real connection with a truly great family club.

• @downley - Glad you both enjoyed it and come back again this season.

Your comment about the ref was interesting as in my opinion he was one of the better ones we have had recently!

• Glad you enjoyed it @downley half season tickets available now.

• @mooneyman said:
    @downley - Glad you both enjoyed it and come back again this season.

Your comment about the ref was interesting as in my opinion he was one of the better ones we have had recently!

I felt he made quite a few obvious errors. Thought he favoured Wycombe in the first half and then seemed to want to make amends by giving decisions to Peterborough in the second. That said, there weren't any major incidents and the game flowed pretty well, so perhaps I'm going in a bit harsh!

• @downley said:
    Hi all,

Thanks for your recommendations and apologies for the apostrophe!

A perfect day for football, we decided not to go in early, as I was worried that with my son’s attention span, we would be lucky to last the match let alone any extra. We hung outside in the “fan zone” for a couple of drinks, watching young lads kick footballs at a giant, inflatable dartboard. Was quite amusing to see the poor girl get whacked in the head a few times.

We sat on the second row in the family stand, halfway down towards the terrace, which was a great spot.

He was fascinated by it all (as I’d hoped) and I happily deciphered the chants for him. Your drummer is decent. He should be put forward for the England job?

I was coerced into buying some food just before half time. I felt obliged to, given the occasion, so I spent all half time and eight minutes of the second half, queuing up for a couple of burgers.

The cool air and floodlights, added to the occasion and It was wonderful to get a goal down our end, and of course, to win the match.

From my point of view, I really enjoyed the game. Bar a couple of impressive saves from your ‘keeper, I felt Wycombe were in full control.

I don’t know how Wycombe fans felt, but from a neutral pov, Peterborough were completely pegged back and didn't seem to have any ideas. It felt like it was only going to go one way.

A thoroughly good home performance, with some quality defending and decent attacking. Ref didn't have a great game but there you go.

Wycombe fans were excellent and in good voice, too.

Thanks again for your suggestions. We both enjoyed it and I dare say we'll be back.

Cheers

Glad you enjoyed it. That was, as you may have gathered from the forum, arguably our best performance to date in terms of slick football.

It can be a little more agricultural at times, but I think this will be an exciting season and I hope you come again and watch the beast. He's one of a kind and you'll never see the like of him again on a football pitch.

• I hope you come again and watch the beast. He's one of a kind and you'll never see the like of him again on a football pitch.

You should definitely come back and watch the beast, he's quite a sight in real life.

• As others have pointed out...if you think that ref was poor you ain't seen nothing yet!!