Skip to content

BOCS

Bag of crisps syndrome. Popped into Montys last Tuesday after the game for a quick pint. Could I have a bag of crisps please....err no there are none came the reply. The bar manager apparently hadn’t ordered any in. Still ever hopeful, Saturday arrived and again popped into Montys after the game. Sorry no crisps available. A bag of crisps must have a huge mark up, the whole point being if you do the small things well, then everything should be ok. It’s little things like this that makes me concerned over the overall running of the club. The food kiosk in the Valley end is now worse ( hard to believe ) than it was before, The queues are longer and just a couple of kids trying to cope. I would have expected to see someone, anyone indeed, in a managerial capacity checking how things are going, but no, no chance. Still hey ho. Onwards and upwards for 3 points today.

Comments

• Another example of what I have banged on about for months, fundamentals are so obviously lacking at basic operational level , management , training , leadership, basic stock control, planning , systems , are ineffective.

It must, by any definition cost us money and negatively alter our bottom line. Meanwhile we post huge losses and have a board mandated strategy of selling to foreigners because our little troupe of amateurs can’t manage a reasonably cohesive small/medium sized business, or employ the right people to do it for them.

• edited October 2018

@marlowchair said:
    Another example of what I have banged on about for months, fundamentals are so obviously lacking at basic operational level , management , training , leadership, basic stock control, planning , systems , are ineffective.

It must, by any definition cost us money and negatively alter our bottom line. Meanwhile we post huge losses and have a board mandated strategy of selling to foreigners because our little troupe of amateurs can’t manage a reasonably cohesive small/medium sized business, or employ the right people to do it for them.

Plenty of crisps in the kiosks I went to on Saturday and Tuesday.

• How much money can having crisps out of stock really cost us?

• Surely the real question is why we’re employing a bar manager who forgets to order crisps?

• @floyd said:
    Surely the real question is why we’re employing a bar manager who forgets to order crisps?

https://www.wycombewanderers.co.uk/news/2018/october/recruiting-bar-manager/

• What happened to the previous manager then?

• Fired for eating too many crisps

• @AlanCecil said:

@marlowchair said:
    Another example of what I have banged on about for months, fundamentals are so obviously lacking at basic operational level , management , training , leadership, basic stock control, planning , systems , are ineffective.

Plenty of crisps in the kiosks I went to on Saturday and Tuesday.

That’s good Alan however the original poster raised an issue with Monty’s not being stocked .

The long queues and untrained kids left to fend for themselves sadly under prepared and supported was the issue with the kiosks...not crisps.

• Glad to hear that @AlanCecil and interested that top of the job description is ‘stock controller.’ Still doesn’t really explain the shortage of basics tho.

• @Chris said:
    How much money can having crisps out of stock really cost us?

It’s not the point though is it Chris? It’s a symptom, and indication of systemic failure . If we can’t get small seemingly insignificant profit centres right why should we expect the other more meaningful business areas of our club to be run with any more skill or care ?

• As a genuine matter of interest marlowchair, do you have experience of running a successful company similar in size to WWFC?

• @glasshalffull Quite possibly you’ve never driven a bus but I bet you can tell when one turns up late. You don’t need any special training to identify lousy service.

• If they’re putting a new order in pickled eggs please

• I can tell when a bus is late but that doesn’t qualify me to lecture the owners of a bus company on how they could improve their performance. It’s always easier to criticise from a distance.

• I've seen you have massive rants at referees

Do you reckon you could referee games better?

• What is clear, is that marlow chair is very close to someone involved in the running of the club.
    So the big question, is why whoever his "pal" is, why they don't see the same issues he does?

• I have had to make choices when cash is tight before. I'd have crisps fairly low on the priority chain when staff, services and other more profitable stock needed the money.

Sorry for being such a bad person @marlowchair .

• @glasshalffull said:
    As a genuine matter of interest marlowchair, do you have experience of running a successful company similar in size to WWFC?

It’s a silly question because I could give you any answer and you would have to either believe me or not.

• @Malone said:
    @Right_in_the_Middle said:
    I have had to make choices when cash is tight before. I'd have crisps fairly low on the priority chain when staff, services and other more profitable stock needed the money.

Sorry for being such a bad person @marlowchair .

You are suggesting the bar wasn’t adequately stocked due to money issues though.

No one else is, because that’s not the reason. The club had no trading account issues with suppliers and can order as much of little stock as they require.

• Crisps are bad for you, so the club are doing you a favour!

• edited October 2018

Presumably the stock control isn’t great at the moment because there isn’t currently a bar manager, and the club are addressing this by hiring a bar manager. Not much of a story here is there?

• But Chris according to the bar staff at Montys there IS a bar manager...his name apparently is CHRIS.....it’s not you is it.

• I’d maintain a steady supply of chilli heatwave Doritos. If you prefer any other crisps you are wrong.

• @marlowchair said:

@glasshalffull said:
    As a genuine matter of interest marlowchair, do you have experience of running a successful company similar in size to WWFC?

It’s a silly question because I could give you any answer and you would have to either believe me or not.

Ok so give me an answer and I’ll decide whether I believe you or not.

• @eric_plant said:
    I've seen you have massive rants at referees

What a bizarre post. When have you seen me have ‘massive rants at referees’ and what has that got to do with me asking marlowchair for evidence of his ability to successfully run a company of similar size to WWFC?

• edited October 2018

@marlowchair said: “It’s a symptom, and indication of systemic failure . If we can’t get small seemingly insignificant profit centres right why should we expect the other more meaningful business areas of our club to be run with any more skill or care ?”

Well again not necessarily. It could be, equally it could be a minor cock-up on a “small.. insignificant” matter that is totally unconnected to how the club is run.

I can see the gist of your argument (in a highly efficient and organised - and professional and well-resourced - business the small issues should be taken care of) but this isn’t a provable fact so it is only really your opinion, which you have adopted to suit your agenda. Fair enough but please differentiate between facts and opinions.

Your opinions are, in my opinion, very interesting and worthy of consideration. Your ‘facts’ are (ditto) generally the exact opposite.

• @Chris said

@glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant said:

What a bizarre post. When have you seen me have ‘massive rants at referees’ and what has that got to do with me asking marlowchair for evidence of his ability to successfully run a company of similar size to WWFC?

Eric’s right,your performances in the home directors section are the stuff of legend among the season ticket regulars in the Beechdean.

• @bookertease said:

@marlowchair said: “It’s a symptom, and indication of systemic failure . If we can’t get small seemingly insignificant profit centres right why should we expect the other more meaningful business areas of our club to be run with any more skill or care ?”

Well again not necessarily. It could be, equally it could be a minor cock-up on a “small.. insignificant” matter that is totally unconnected to how the club is run.

I can see the gist of your argument (in a highly efficient and organised - and professional and well-resourced - business the small issues should be taken care of) but this isn’t a provable fact so it is only really your opinion, which you have adopted to suit your agenda. Fair enough but please differentiate between facts and opinions.

Your opinions are, in my opinion, very interesting and worthy of consideration. Your ‘facts’ are (ditto) generally the exact opposite.

I don’t see where this is my opinion and not fact .

It is a widely accepted truth that consistent failure to get minor detail right is a reflection of wider dysfunction in organisations.

We would be hugely critical here if our football team often failed to trap simple passes with the food yes? My point is , why does highlighting a similarly frustrating off pitch issue attract such responses ?

• @bookertease said:

If it becomes apparent a person's grasp of the facts is poor, does that not make his opinions much less likely to be interesting and, especially, worthy of consideration?

• @glasshalffull said:

@eric_plant said:

Just making the point that it's possible to make a criticism even if you are not able to do a better job yourself