Skip to content

Contract breakdown 2015/16 (part 2)

Part 2 of my contract post.

Charlie Horlock - OUT OF CONTRACT

Like Fletcher, Gareth will need to make a call on this youngster's potential. Horlock may also want to consider his future and decide whether he's willing to sit on the bench for another season.

Alex Lynch - contracted until 2016

Many Wycombe fans, and even Alex himself, may have doubted his chances to get a game this season. However, an unfortunate injury to Ingram meant that Alex played a part in the final four games of the season, looking nervy against Plymouth in the first leg but shining in the second, before giving a mature and confident performance in the final at Wembley. Gareth now has a no.2 that can come in whenever required. However, if Ingram was to move on this summer, a call would need to be made on how ready Lynch is to be a no. 1, which may currently be a step too far.

Max Kretzschmar - contracted until 2016

May be disappointed with the lack of first team action after enjoying an impressive 2013/14 breakthrough season, Max will be hoping that he can make an impression next season and establish himself further as a professional footballer.

Fred Onyedinma - returns of parent club

Young striker with bags of promise, Fred was fantastic at stages of his loan, but frustrating during others. He'll return to Millwall a more experienced player and will no doubt play at a high level during his career.

Nathan Evans - OUT OF CONTRACT

Signed on a one-year deal as part of the Samsung competition, Nathan will most likely leave the club this summer. Samsung need to also evaluate whether this competition is helping young players emerge themselves or just giving them false hope.

Aaron Holloway - contracted until 2016

Signed on an initial short term deal after a successful trial period with the club, Aaron has emerged as a real talent this year, and will be an integral figure next year as he combines brute force with a gentle touch. Providing he can stay injury free, Holloway is a huge player for Wycombe and a rare breed at this level. Fantastic business from the club to keep him until 2016.

Alfie Mawson - returns to parent club

Much has been said of Alfie's fantastic season, so I won't add here. All I will say though is that Alfie will go down as a Wycombe legend, one who hadn't played a minute of professional football before this year and has now emerged as another huge talent. This season could have been a lot different without Alfie, and Gareth faces the monumental task of trying to replace Mawson, as a permanent deal is unfortunately an unlikely prospect with the player's potential.

Hogan Ephraim - OUT OF CONTRACT

Joining in October, Hogan has been with the club for the majority of the season, frustratingly at times unable to make his mark. Remains a hugely talented footballer who is not often suited to League 2, Hogan's touch and vision means that he can be a real asset on his day, maybe even the most naturally gifted player in the side. However, the fans have unfortunately not taken to him as the club may have hoped, and he may move on in the summer. I've tried to hold back with personal views on this post, but I'd regret it if we didn't keep Hogan on for another year, because if deployed correctly, he's far too good for League 2.

Thanks for reading. Post your thoughts below!

Comments

• I do know Gareth and Dobbo are working today, yes TODAY to sort out contract offers or not as the case may be. So out of contract players should know soon if they are being retained or not. I had heard Hogan was retiring but do not know how true that is.

• We have a really good core, if we add 3-4 quality players then I really fancy out chances of a top 3 finish next season COYB

• Thanks for this. Good to see we have a strong skeleton to build around for next season. Will need a new centre half, centre mid and right winger.

Like this season, I suspect the quality of loanees we get in will have a massive impact. Mawson, Fred, Saunders and Nico have all benefitted hugely (either gaining first team experience or game-time) from their loans. And the boost it has given to the team (Mawson especially has been huge). I doubt we will see any of them next season but I hope they set an example for other talented players looking for a loan spell to enhance their careers.

Some tough calls on out of contract players. I suspect Craig and McClure would struggle to find a home at another FL club. It would be tempting for us to gamble on ditching both in search of a better goal scorer. I'm inclined to keep both on a deal that incentivises them to get in the starting 11.

While Ephraim can be dangerous on his day I'm not sure there is room for him in a small squad. Would prefer to see Max given a chance to really prove himself next season.

• I'd be surprised to see Craig released and I think (and hope) we'll offer McClure another year. Ephraim will probably go unless he fits in well with the rest of the squad and brings an element of class to training that benefits others. I think Murphy will be released as the move south didn't work out for him and no benefit in holding out for a transfer fee. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Rowe return either on a season long loan or on a permanent basis

• Mcclure would think would not be offered anything..Think a drop into non league and get games will do him good..maybe a loan out for the season if he gets a contract but wouldn't think the club has the cash to do that..Craig will need to go..we need strikers that are going to give us goals.

• Rowe would be ideal replacement for Mawson, providing he gets assurances he will play if fit and in form.

Craig a definite Yes, predominantly in midfield and occasionally upfront in a 4/3/3.

Hogan, jury still out there, but his touches and passes are quality.

McClure, I'm not convinced, he will our Lineker.

Horlock and Evans, will move on, wish them all the best if so.

Definitely need Fast, tricky winger/striker in the mould of PCH who naturally helps to defend with purpose and not dangle the odd leg like kicking the head of a daffodil.

• I think one of the reasons the fans haven't taken to Ephraim is because his body language has often suggested he feels he is doing us a favour playing for us. Also, as you hint at, his body frame doesn't lend itself to the often brutal football witnessed in League 2.

• Craig deserves a new contract for all the effort he puts in and agree he is quite effective in midfield. McClure is not good enough, not a team player and is so injury prone anyway, so he should be binned.

Hogan is a luxury we can't afford.

• I was really surprised Ephraim started ahead of Craig, although it's possible that recent injuries to the latter forced our hand.

Craig is never going to be prolific, but he holds the ball up really well, pressures defenders and draws them out of position.

In a 4-3-3 I think a good hold-up man is vital, who will track back and fight like a dog.

I'm not sentimental re. either McClure or Craig though - the question is, can we do better for the money we have to offer. In Craig's case, I suspect not.

For McClure, I am guessing he is not on big money - and the other thing to bear in mind is that even in a small squad, you have to have squad players who are not automatic first picks. He seems to be OK with his status in the club as backup, or the occasional set of fresh legs late on, and there's something to be said for that, I don't see him as a 'passenger' in the same way as, say, John Halls.

• "so he should be binned." Nice turn of phrase there. That's someone's career you're talking about.

• John Sutton is out of contract!!!!

• how is he 'not a team player'?

• @PBo said:
    I was really surprised Ephraim started ahead of Craig, although it's possible that recent injuries to the latter forced our hand.

Craig is never going to be prolific, but he holds the ball up really well, pressures defenders and draws them out of position.

In a 4-3-3 I think a good hold-up man is vital, who will track back and fight like a dog.

I'm not sentimental re. either McClure or Craig though - the question is, can we do better for the money we have to offer. In Craig's case, I suspect not.

For McClure, I am guessing he is not on big money - and the other thing to bear in mind is that even in a small squad, you have to have squad players who are not automatic first picks. He seems to be OK with his status in the club as backup, or the occasional set of fresh legs late on, and there's something to be said for that, I don't see him as a 'passenger' in the same way as, say, John Halls.

I disagree, I bet McClure is on @ 800 - 1k/week nevertheless I would personally keep him. On reflection, the squad can't be sh!! T, as we held our own "all" season, so main concern is who we bring into our fold, as we lose a few to parent clubs.

Both Craig and McClure deserve extensions. But we got to into account that those leaving the club weren't been paid by us. So I guess a return to the loan market stall again and restructuring our wage bill, will be a factor on who we can bring on from free transfers to freshen things up.

• Absolutely no chance is McClure on that kind of money. Closer to half that. I'd be surprised if our highest earner is on a grand a week.

• My thoughts on those out of contract:

Craig: I've always been a fan, and recent weeks have only strengthened by beliefs. I think he'll definitely be offered another year and given his age (35 next Feb), I doubt there will be any better offers.

Ephraim: Peaked for me in his first 3 minutes away at Oxford and I rarely again saw that willingness to take people on and use the skill we know we has. Probably one of our better-paid players so I'd regretfully let go and use the money elsewhere.

McClure: Again, a lot of time for MM and I've been desperate to see it work out for him, but his injury record (and subsequent goal record) can't be ignored. Again, I'd probably release but I have no doubt that when he gets another club, if he can stay fit it and reach his potential it may be a decision that we question in years to come.

Evans: Waste of everyone's time - none more so than his. Good bye and good luck.

Horlock: Having seen nothing of him or Lynch I'd previously heard Horlock being touted as our "next Ingram". However, his lack of selection ahead of Lynch is obviously not a good sign - I suspect whether or not he stays will depend on how much GA wants a more experienced deputy for Ingram.

Fletcher: Only seen him twice (neither for Wycombe) but have been impressed on both occasions. Could be exactly the sort of squad player we need to hopefully step up when needed. He also will hopefully have learned stacks from Pierre and Mawson this year. Keep.

By the way, if the comment above about GA and RD working today to sort out contracts is true it is a timely reminder of the pure class of our management team and how lucky we are to have them. Given the way I've felt today, I can only imagine how they've found the steel to make the difficult decisions above so soon after the heartache.

• You'd be surprised on who earns what, nevertheless wages is in my opinion between club and player. Unless the player puts it into the public domain. I guess that wages on "Out of Contract" players will be decreased, as Clubs have alot of leverage these days especially in League 2.

Who we get in, will be rather interesting, hopefully a few quality players would love to work with Ainsworth and his team and not just come for the money, as we clearly don't have any.

We are a few weeks behind the rest of the pack lol.

• @Older_and_Wiser, I recall your main agatoniser young male dressed in black, I can see your point, but where I was sat a few rows behind you I guess, it seemed he just wanted to get our section to join in with the 'singing section' which failed reapeatidly.

I could see two sides of the argument, but that said our section 102 was very very quite (in my opinion boring) considering we where supporting the Chairboys at a Final. I don't excuse the hand gesters and foul langauge though, slightly over the top. Nevertheless next year would suggest to get tickets in the singing section me too.

• Matt M and partner live with parents so I don't think he can be on a huge amount. I would be sorry if he isn't given further time after good performances in the past.

• @Last_Quarter interesting point about Evans. One way to look at it is that got an opportunity and may have some good memories of the last season. But on the flip side, a PR exercise for Samsung has led a young man to waste a year in which he could have been building a career, studying etc etc.

• Opps wrong thread. Sorry all.

• @Glenactico said:
    Absolutely no chance is McClure on that kind of money. Closer to half that. I'd be surprised if our highest earner is on a grand a week.

Hayes has to be on a lot more than that... so does Ingram, JJ, Sido.... If you want to go up you've got to pay the bucks.. that's football - whether you like it or not. You won't get a team of promotion contenders next season on £26K a year.

• Honestly think, that Ainsworth and his team are looking at quality signings or loanees and a few who do stay (out of contract) maybe offered a small package, as the Brentford linkup may have been culled with the changes there.

Watching the League 1 Playoff Final, that was a demonstration of what was ahead if we'd won.

Ainsworth must have an idea or identified a list of players he would like to work with and bring to the club?

• For me McClure to go, we do not have a large budget and he is too injury prone. We have hayes and holloway and need another consistent finisher

• Agreed.

• McClure has gone, confirmed on website, as has Fletcher, Evans, Horlock

• McClure needs game time maybe conference good luck to him.

• I wonder if McClure's release means that GA has been promised more money to go after someone else. If our wage budget is much the same it makes no sense to release him.

I think this will be the first season where we really feel the effects of not having a youth set up any more.

• Glad Hogan's been offered a new deal, interested now to see if he signs. Sad to see Matt, Charlie, and Tommy leave, as the latter of the two may now need to question which direction they wish to go with their careers. Hope Matt finds a new club and gets his match fitness up, could be dangerous next year in the conference.

• So that leaves just Kretzschmar and Ingram still left from the old Youth team.

Agree with Floyd, Ainsworth is going to have to continue to find players like Holloway out on the scrapheap to keep a bit of youth in the team.

• Personally think Charlie will go on to be decent.