Skip to content

Match day thread: Rochdale

Comments

• Stick with fan ownership and we will absolutely run away with the Conference South in a few years

• @fame_46 said:
    Behave @aloysius. Are you taking credit for the change of formation then?

Maybe you’re the next Pep Guardiola from the armchair you’re sitting on.

Not sure what you do for a living but if you were a manager and had a successful year, then had a promotion - would you stop doing what made your team successful or would you stick to what made you successful and then make necessary changes if you needed to?

I'm not taking credit but I do think 13 matches is an awfully long time for the manager to see what everyone else was seeing after a handful of matches maximum. In the long run it probably won't matter as there's plenty of time left to cement a position mid table - but it does frustrate me a little when people claim a switch to a new system 13 matches in is a sign of tactical genius from the manager.

• Decent result and fully deserved. Really like the 442 formation with the players we’ve got. Not much for Davey K and Richie to moan about at the moment. Another win Saturday and we are looking in great shape.

I thought Rochdale were awful apart from a short spell at the start of the second half where we took the foot off the gas and let them play a bit.

The time wasting from Rocky is becoming a little embarrassing at times. No need for it 10 minutes into the game. It slows our own game down as well.

• edited October 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Great result, looking forward to Walsall away Saturday.

• @fame_46 said:
    @aloysius no one is suggesting genius. Being astute is very different.

With your clear footballing vision maybe you should take your coaching badges and implement your rich understanding of the game.

What frustrates me, is people like you who have to find a negative in what was is one of our best performances in recent memory and a third win in four games.

Soz darling but the only negative I've found is with your post, I've nothing but positive things to say about the way we played tonight.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AINSWORTH - "Absolute hard work, graft and solidity by a bunch of boys who believe they can punch above their weight"

https://philcatchpole.com/2018/10/23/wycombe-wanderers-3-0-rochdale/

• Thought Rochdale played it around well but didn't go anywhere and couldn't deal with our pressing. Great performance, Samuels well deserved MoM as thought he was a spritely CMS. JJ was a little exposed on the left at times with Fred running forward (which was great) but tracking back to cover sometimes a little slow. However and it's a big HOWEVER we played really well, a mixture of on the deck and hoof when needed. Midfield was excellent and Adam was sublime, loads of nice touches and crucial headers and blocks. Great game, just a shame they ran out of SA after the game....but can't grumble for a school night. Looking forward to Walsall Saturday.

COYB!!!!!

• That was good to watch. I was very impressed with Samuel whose play reminds me of a younger CMS (not that he’s old). Gaz has a dilemma for Walsall.

• @eric_plant said:
    Stick with fan ownership and we will absolutely run away with the Conference South in a few years

Superb

• Very entertaining game. As an exile, the option of watching Tuesday night games online is a godsend and the picture quality and graphics are much better than I expected. Reasonably synched up with the commentary as well, which was just half a second behind, not enough to bother me. Just a shame none of the money went to WW on this occasion.

Samuel was superb, particularly for the third goal, first showing excellent pace and desire to win a throw from a lost cause, before setting up Fred. Agree with the CMS comparisons, he also reminds me a little of Andy Baird. He and Thompson deserve extensions, at least to the end of the season.

• @fame_46 said:
    @aloysius

Now you obviously have the capacity to read, if you re-read your previous posts I fail to see any positive comments on tonight’s game and the teams recent form.

It would be great to stick the likes of you, Richie and Trevor in the disabled section all together, so you could share your musings and insightful vision.

Now we've established we can both read, perhaps have a look again at your own first post since the match tonight. You chose to introduce it with a long ad-hominen attack against your own straw man arguments. Your choice, of course, though please don't take offence when others point out the fallacy of them.

• I think everyone is getting a bit carried away with the formation stuff. Put in Blooms for Samuel and you're not far off where we were a few games ago. Samuel is obviously more physical than Blooms but they both run a lot and Blooms has more of a defensive mindset. Against the top teams we could get overrun with a 2 man midfield but credit to GA for spotting that Scunthorpe and Rochdale could both be attacked with basically a 424 and 6 goals 6 points don't lie.

I think PCH makes a difference too with his skill and pace.

Samuel did well but CMS on Saturday for me.

Mid-table!

• @Jonny_King When we scored the first it actually felt like Phil wasn't concentrating, as the ball hit the back of the net in silence. So it was a bit weird when the commentary and cheering then kicked in. Sometimes half a second can seem like a very long time...

But hey, if that's the only thing i can find to complain about...!

What a great night!!

PS I thought I read on the website that 80% of my tenner went to us, no?

• Fantastic scenes tonight.

I'm a season ticket but can't get to every game. Completely flummoxed by the guy at the back of the terrace who was moaning at the end of the match. As Wycombe won three nil (three nil!). In the highest league we have played. In 134 years.

• And also...three good goals. OK, the first one looks like really poor goalkeeping from the angle of the highlights too, but meh. Not a goalmouth scramble or tap-in between them.

• Any thoughts from @bigred87 ?

• Two excellent wins on the trot, but hey let's not say it's a new league and we're adjusting let's remember the games we did not win...so we can tut and shake our heads at the enthusiasm of less discerning football fans.

• @LeedsBlue said:
    @Jonny_King When we scored the first it actually felt like Phil wasn't concentrating, as the ball hit the back of the net in silence. So it was a bit weird when the commentary and cheering then kicked in. Sometimes half a second can seem like a very long time...

But hey, if that's the only thing i can find to complain about...!

What a great night!!

PS I thought I read on the website that 80% of my tenner went to us, no?

The club confirmed on Twitter that they get 80%

• Great win, but i wanna> @LX1 said:

Any thoughts from @bigred87

Puzzled from the praise pch got from 1st page thought he looked well out his depth and his attitude looks terrible and his body language looks like he should be walking round micklefield little prick. We deserved the win Thompson should be offered a longer deal he is class......

• @bigred87 said:
    Great win, but i wanna> @LX1 said:

Any thoughts from @bigred87

Puzzled from the praise pch got... looks like he should be walking round micklefield little prick.

A confusing amalgam of criticisms or an inadvertant admission by bigred?

• That’s a little unfair @HCblue. The blood that should be flowing through his brain must go somewhere.

• Its hard to know what the goalkeeper was doing for the free kick - he seems to just completely miss the ball

• oh and an excellent refereeing performance from a usually very poor official !!

• When watching it on ifollow last night, even using the slow motion function I thought it was a great swerving free kick.

On the highlights though, which seem higher quality and much crisper, it does indeed look like the keeper just totally misjudged a fairly easy freekick save and put his hands in the wrong place.

• I'm hoping "Goal Cam" will give a better view of it

• @Tom said:
    Its hard to know what the goalkeeper was doing for the free kick - he seems to just completely miss the ball

Sitting directly behind the free kick in the Beachdean the ball seemed to swerve one way then the other (like a cheap lightweight ball on the beach!), maybe a deflection on it? The keeper mover across for the first swerve but did not anticipate the second, which is why it seems he ‘overshot’ the trajectory of the ball!

• I thought last night we looked more like the established league 1 side and Rochdale the newcomers.

There wasn’t a great deal of difference in overall play and chances created but where we were effective in both boxes and ‘Dale were not.

They wasted a great opportunity to score after 2 mins, hit the post, had a dipping volley just wide and a few others flash across the box. In short, some nice buildup but very few (if any?) to test the keeper.

At the other end their nervy keeper seems to completely mess up the FK (he ends up outside the frame of the goal at the end) and the defender doesn’t get off the ground for Fred’s header. Poor defending. And both goals 1 & 2 came from free kicks needlessly given away, albeit credit to Samuel for winning them.

On the flip side, we took our chances when they came, kept our discipline and barely gave them a clean strike in goal all night.

Alex Samuel a well deserved MOM. Pressing their defenders and harassing ‘Dale players carrying the ball out made a huge difference. And some excellent hold up play and running the channels helped us build attacks. Very Ben Strevens-ish. In some of the bigger games away where we might go one up front he might be the best equipped to play the lonely role as he can both hold it and win free kicks as well as run in behind.

Overall two crucial wins as we now face a difficult set of tough fixtures, including several teams in the top 6. Really important to have those points on the board and to be beating teams around us in the division when we’re at home.