Skip to content

Match day thread: Scunthorpe

Comments

• Watched the highlights last night and all three goals were absolute crackers. What a game it was, first twenty thinking this was going to be a very bad day and then we got stuck in, closed them up and took over the game. Just wish we could play from the first whistle, oh well makes things exciting I guess. I have to say the feeling at the end Saturday was right up there with Beanie's goal and Hayes's pen against Exeter, both had fans leaving the ground with smiles beaming and chants still being sung. What a day.

Can't wait for tomorrow night now.....COYB!

• Having watched the extended highlights, I'm still amazed at both the Gape and Jacobson bookings. Did others see them differently from me?

• @OakwoodExile said:
    Having watched the extended highlights, I'm still amazed at both the Gape and Jacobson bookings. Did others see them differently from me?

The ref was fairly awful, but he was pipped by the lino who seemed incapable of making any decision, let alone a correct one.

• edited October 2018

Allsop banned for only 1 game, meaning the red must have been for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity rather than serious foul play. Penalised for the wrong offence but handy for us so...

• edited October 2018

@OakwoodExile I believe we have different vantage points, and so it's interesting that I viewed the incidents very slightly differently.... I thought Gape's was a solid challenge which got plenty of the ball. Not even a foul, let alone a booking. JJ also got the ball, but did seem to go in from behind I thought, and got, fairly solidly, "ball and man" - and so yellow not unreasonable. The other slightly contentious moments: Fred went down way too easy for the penalty shout; Bayo's pen shout I was unsighted; PCH's 'goal' was a clear infringement on their 'keeper from the big man; and the Allsop sending off seemed harsh in terms of goalscoring denial. The guy wasn't in control, was moving well away from the goal, and McCarthy was covering. I'm sure we had an almost identical situation last year involving Tyson being upended but the 'keeper stayed on the pitch. Struggling to remember the full scenario now, though.

Not seen the extended highlights yet, so this is my one-view opinion (except the Allsop foul).

Incidentally, I was amazed how much joy Bayo got despite them employing the old 'front and back sandwich' technique on him, which often keeps him quieter than the alternative 'one guy superglued to his shirt all game' approach.

• @OakwoodExile said:
    Having watched the extended highlights, I'm still amazed at both the Gape and Jacobson bookings. Did others see them differently from me?

They are pretty straightforward yellows these days I think. Over excessive force I think it's called

• Interesting about Allsopp. It is bizarre to describe that as a goalscoring opportunity when the striker had kicked it sideways away from goal and out for a throw in

But like others have said any outfield player makes a challenge like that and it's a straight red and 3 games out

So not a bad result really

• I’m not sure how much of the movement of the ball came as a result of Allsop’s ‘tackle’. At the time it didn’t look like their player had lost control of the ball (at least to that extent) and if he had rounded Allsop would have had an empty goal to aim at albeit with McCarthy rushing back. So I think it was a clear goal scoring opportunity denied.

But as others have said it would be difficult to have complained that much if it had been for dangerous play.

• @eric_plant I agree with you about the sending off and I can just about see the Jacobson challenge. But, as @LeedsBlue suggests, I though Gape got to and played the ball before there was any contact with their player. Not even a foul in my book.

• Some interesting insight from Gaz on formations in his post match interview:

https://philcatchpole.com/2018/10/22/wycombe-wanderers-3-2-scunthorpe-united/

• Gape definately not, JJ harsh but I've seen them given (I've heard that somewhere before) and Allsopp, sadly looked far worse on the replays than it did at the time so hard to complain. Having said that the fact Scunthorpe were 2 - 0 up and then completely failed to test our reserve keeper when we were down to ten men means they should be very disappointed.

• They had listened to @Peter so knew it was a waste of time trying @Wendoverman.

Let’s hope Rochdale got the memo

• edited October 2018

Indeed @bookertease bad day for @trevor great day for Yves' mum...it's an ill wind that blows no-one any good.

• Just to say....that big fella that was involved in two of the three goals and almost got us a penalty...he's a decent player in League One isn't he?

• Regards the supposed penalty shout for Fred.
    To my mind any shout only came from the Woodlands. From behind the goal it was fairly clear that he just stumbled, maybe even caught his studs as he try to run past the defender. Fred didn't appeal and I don't think the defender suggested he took a dive.
    After the ball was cleared the kepper walked over to Fred to help him to his feet, but there was no suggestion he was having a go at Fred for taking a dive either.
    The ref definitely got the decision correct and the game moved on without any further action being taken by him.

• Thanks @Twizz sounds like a good decision by the ref - credit where it’s due

• Sorry @Twizz but the defender remonstrated very strongly that Fred dived (which he clearly did)

• @LX1 said:
    Strictly does Bake-off

Nice one @LX1 (he said bedlatedly).

• @LeedsBlue not the number 2 who just motions for Fred to get up, maybe the other guy (which I hadn't noticed at the time). Fortunately the ref didn't see it as a dive, otherwise I'm sure he would have booked Fred for assimilation.
    Either way, we can agree it wasn't a penalty. I'm just not convinced that Fred took a dive, as you seem so certain. Anuway I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

• This is fun to watch

• @Twizz said:
    @LeedsBlue not the number 2 who just motions for Fred to get up, maybe the other guy (which I hadn't noticed at the time). Fortunately the ref didn't see it as a dive, otherwise I'm sure he would have booked Fred for assimilation.
    Either way, we can agree it wasn't a penalty. I'm just not convinced that Fred took a dive, as you seem so certain. Anuway I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Booked for assimilation. Harsh

• Is assimilation the same as Wycombisation?

• It all started when we signed George Borg.

• I've booked in for assimilation. Does it hurt?

• Allsop red rescinded then.
    Said on this thread it should have been a yellow and didn't warrant a red.
    Poor of the ref not to see the covering defender nor the obvious point that the striker booted the ball off the pitch to the side. It was not a clear and obvious goalscoring opportunity.

• Had that been a centre half making that challenge, what card would you have expected to see?

• Should have been sent off for dangerous play !!!

• Errr - yellow as the striker is going away from goal and not in control of the ball

Pretty obvious really

The only possible case for a red is dangerous play as Allsop was wild in that challenge and it could have bern interpreted as reckless - but that's not the reason the ref sent him off.

• @DJWYC14 said:
    Errr - yellow as the striker is going away from goal and not in control of the ball

Pretty obvious really

The only possible case for a red is dangerous play as Allsop was wild in that challenge and it could have bern interpreted as reckless - but that's not the reason the ref sent him off.

Yeah, that was my point. Did you not think it was?