Skip to content

Match day thread: Scunthorpe

Comments

• The sending off was actually one of the few things the ref got right.

• Well done to the drummer. the guy is nuts man he’s got us the win and we all just need to back him to the end I saw him getting pictures with the bucks free press and stuff that’s what you call a fan I wonder what he gonna be like Tuesday ??

• "he got us the win"?
    I think the players had something to do with it

• @Malone said:
    "he got us the win"?
    I think the players had something to do with it

When he drums he doesn’t stop so that’s what you should be following his foot steps look at Michael Harriman loves the lad etc take note but oh well we got win

• Bloody hell. Amazing team spirit

• @uptheblues just ask him out mate. nothing to lose!

• Awesome come back... CMS was mom for me, not just for the goal, but he didn't stop running for the whole match, he must have done twice as much running as anyone else. I agree with others as I also thought it was a red for Allsop (@peter must be so excited) ... didn't see the same match as others re Fred, other than the goal didn't do anything for me and Williams must be scratching his head to wonder why he's out of the team... good finish though, don't get me wrong on that.

Great atmosphere !! Also thought the drummer did a great job ( not sure he won us the match though !)

• Gosh @HolmerBlue were you watching the first half? I thought Fred was superb down the wing.

• From the terrace I actually thought Allsopp had made a great tackle and won the ball. It was only after the game when Phil showed me a replay that I saw just how bad it was. Still, think a red was pretty harsh and can only assume the ref thought the challenge was too high.

Nonetheless, ref was an evil little goblin who should be sent back to Mordor to get filled in by Elijah Wood and Co.

Superb game and great performance from 5 minutes onwards. Make no mistake, we deserved that. Hope Gaz sticks with that formation on Tuesday.

How good was Yves' nonchalant throw out to the halfway line?

• After a less than convincing first 15 minutes I thought Fred really grew into the game. Without a doubt he terrified their defence second half and if his goal didn’t do anything for you @HolmerBlue I would book a check up with your GP as soon as possible. Your soul may be in need of restoration

• Hope the tossers in the Frank Adams who thought it acceptable to boo the team after 10 minutes left the ground at half time and thus missed that fantastic finale.

With the Scunthorpe attaker heading away from goal when Allsopp took him out I'm wondering if the ref sent him off for serious foul play (3 match ban) rather than denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity (1 match ban).

• Three brilliant goals. Great skill from CMS to keep that ball under control.

Not a great deal to complain about the sending off, there might have been a covering defender but there was no goalkeeper.

• We needed something a bit special after all the close calls this season. This group of players give their all, and that is worth remembering during the difficult games, when the temptation to grumble rears it's head. It is cathartic to see them get rewarded in a dramatic manner.

A shout out to Bean in the commentary box too. He was very fair, and had some great insights (I loved the exchange that started with him calling Paris irritating).

For the first time this season we are averaging more than a point a game. Come on you Chairboys!

• Having just seen the highlights, I also wonder if it was serious foul play Allsop was sent off for? It would be a very harsh red if it was given for preventing a goal scoring opportunity, as the Scunny player was heading away from goal and there were covering defenders. A trip and I think he gets away with a yellow, but the way he lunged in I don't think we can have too many complaints.

Great win today, just gutted I was unable to make it today. 3 very good goals!

• @bookertease said:
    After a less than convincing first 15 minutes I thought Fred really grew into the game. Without a doubt he terrified their defence second half and if his goal didn’t do anything for you @HolmerBlue I would book a check up with your GP as soon as possible. Your soul may be in need of restoration

No I thought it was a great goal, don't get me wrong, for me he didn't do much else though, sorry, but hey it's all about opinions... that's what makes it a great game !?... not looking for an argument, there's enough of them on here as it is ! Great win though, that's all that matters.. coyb's.

• @HolmerBlue said:

It’s funny how we all see the same game differently I was reading all the positive comments on Fred and thinking exactly the same other than the goal didn’t do anything. got in good positions thanks to lots of good layoffs from bayo but then didn’t really know what to do with it, to many of touches before an attempted pass because he was so indecisive and no left foot. My main issue was that he offered jj no protection, trotted back but never marked, attempted a tackle or tried to stop a cross. PCH on the other hand I thought was superb for an hour and did all his defensive duty.
    Anyway what an epic result it really felt things were against us and the ref certainly was. Not a red for me simply because there player wasn’t going through as he booted it out for a throw. CMS what a cool head at the end, that ball didn’t want to come down and after not really getting into the game for much of it he took his chance well.
    Hard to pick a mom, thought gape and Thomson did well, PCH great first hour then started to tire, Bayo superb great layoffs and completely dominated their defence. Hats off the GA for the long awaited 442, just Williams in for Fred IMHO

• Adam El Abd would have been my MOTM

Thought he was outstanding.

They all were really though. The fight they show and the way they never ever give up makes them a joy to watch and is a credit to them and the manager

• edited October 2018

@na104 'PCH great first hour then started to tire'??
    I think the long spell of treatment he needed for a head injury might have been a factor maybe?

Loved the tannoy being broken today so we didn't have listen to distorted music or the manic half time penalty man. Do wonder if it had any impact in the awful start though.

Thought the ref was as bad as it gets. Bottled a second booking for the no 12 just before half time, missed a blatant push on Bayo for the penalty and was always too far away from the play. He quite simply wasn't mobile enough and spent an amazing amount of time with his back the play.

Thought Fred grew in to the game like he so often does. He got the he full back booked and this opened up so much section nd half. Going 4-4-2 (and this was from the first whistle wasn't it @DJWYC14 ?) basically meant was lost a mobile midfielder for a drifting Fred. Ended up working in the end.

So proud of the resilience and sheer doggedness of this squad. It is truely amazing to watch. Doesn't help the heart rate but what a set of memories it is creating.

• "a set of memories it is creating"

Beautifully put Righty

• Amazing. Memories of recent comebacks kept me slightly optimistic after 7 minutes and once Gapey's shot went in there seemed to be an increase in belief on and off the pitch.

Thought Fred and PCH travelling with the ball made a big difference vs last week where Williams was so frustrating not doing that. Bayo was magnificent all round and the double marking seemed to create space for the wide men.

I'll steal Sir Alex's legendary quote : Football. Bloody Hell

• The type of offence the ref sent Allsop off will be interesting

Denying goal scoring opportunity is a 1 match ban

Sent off for the tackle will be 3 matches

• edited October 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • One negative from the game is that Gape is suspended for the Tuesday game. Gape’s goal was a real cracker today, as was Fred’s goal. Shame about the booing when we were 2-0 down, really not called for at all.

• @aloysius said:
    Let's not attack Davey over spelling and grammar; posting on the Gasroom isn't an English exam. On the substance of his points there's much to agree with.

Jason McCarthy should be one of the best players on the pitch but he hasn't yet got to that standard. His distribution at right back has been poor at times and he's not attacked the wings like either Harriman or Jacobson. Has he any assists yet? His tackling is good and his positioning is usually excellent but I clearly am not alone in hoping for more from him.

I still see the answer to our selection conundrum on the right as moving to a 442 which would accommodate two of McCarthy, Harriman and PCH, while we'd also be able to give Jacobson more support on the left while also accommodating one of Freeman and Tyson, when he's back. That will allow us to pick two of Stewart, el Abd, Charles or Jombati in the middle of defence rather than cram in McCarthy, who does appear undroppable.

A central midfield of Gape and Thompson - who has done enough to supplant Morris in my opinion - gives us good defensive cover, if not height. The wingers can provide the creativity with Saunders off the bench if we're behind. A traditionally narrow front two rotating between the array of attacking talent we have depending on the circumstances would keep any opposition on their toes.

The central thesis Davey expounds - that Gareth Ainsworth assembles a great squad but then fails to make the most of it - is one I've made before and, even with the promotion, tend to agree with. He's so good at spotting talent; Curtis Thompson is just the latest example of a player none of us really rated but has come good under his management. Yet the 433 long ball to Bayo so very clearly is not working and we are precariously close to the drop zone after a third of the season. We could be doing so much better with a bit of tactical malibility. You don't need to be the world's best speller to see that.

All I'll say is I'm glad Gareth is inspired by the musings of Aloysius. Looks like the new strategy worked. Long may it continue. ;)

• It was the malibility wat won it :)

• Great result, wish I went instead of watching Col U scrapping a 1-0 win at morecambe.

The celebrations when CMS scored looked great on the highlights and thanks bigred for making me laugh reading this thread.

• Both against Burton and today we started with a very strange approach. No tackles goingin, a half hearted press and the opposition given lots of time on the ball.

Once we started getting tight to them and also got men around Bayo when it went forward then the game changed totally.

Fred looked dangerous second half but he really must work on the defensive side of his game. Far, far too easily beaten down the flank and provides very little support to JJ. It is clear he is a player that wants to get the ball to feet and run at players but he needs to realise it is just as important to stop the other team doing the same to us.

Important result today and another key game Tuesday. Crucial that we pick up wins from these less glamorous fixtures as we face a very tough run in November.

• @uptheblues said:
    Well done to the drummer. the guy is nuts man he’s got us the win and we all just need to back him to the end I saw him getting pictures with the bucks free press and stuff that’s what you call a fan I wonder what he gonna be like Tuesday ??

Thanks mate means lot let’s keep singing loud proud screw ones who moan around us will deffo stay up if we get wins and continue to keep singing trust me coybs

• Thanks mate means lot let’s keep singing loud proud screw ones who moan around us will deffo stay up if we get wins and continue to keep singing trust me coybs

.....What he said!??? (Well done my friend, I'm totally behind you).