Skip to content

Match day thread: Coventry

Comments

• Very defensive set up with CMS and Randell pulled deep to help the fully backs. As a result we really struggled to find an out ball a lot of the time. Coventry pressed us, played much better football and deserved the win. On both occasions we've played there I have to say they've looked very organised and difficult to beat.

Allsop had a great game and could easily have snatched a point in bizarre fashion at the end. But it wouldn't have been deserved. Fred and Paris showed why they don't start. Not enough hard work to track back. Williams and CMS put in a proper shift for 70 mins. Sadly their replacements, despite showing glimpses of creativity, let the team down. The Cov goal came with Fred and Paris trotting back instead of sprinting to support to help cover the breakaway. Very poor.

• edited October 2018

I’m not sure that bringing on PCH and Fred is the sign of a team happy with settling for a 0-0. And I think the goal was a result of that - Williams would have tracked his man back if he’d still been on the pitch.
    Certainly it was two different styles of football on show, and Coventry were the better side on the day and fully deserved their win. But we could easily have drawn (and even won) that game, as we have many in the past employing our style of football. Frankly, I’d doubt that our players are as good at getting the ball down and playing as other sides on the division, so if we tried to match them there we’d struggle. But what we do is effective, and if we finish the season in 18th I’d be happy. I heard some fans at the end of the game saying it was time for Ainsworth to leave. I have no idea what planet some people are on.

• @HCblue said:
    Not that I've noticed, Jonny.

We positioned ourselves deliberately a few rows in front of him - we like to join in with the singing but don't care to be part of the throng when they become too moronic - how middle-class, eh? Anyway, as it happens, there was a point midway through the second half when the remorseless drumming was giving me a headache. My solution would have been to move a few rows further forward rather than to demand a cessation. I'm not aware that anyone took a different line today...

What you got to understand he very over passionate about Wycombe and he not doing it to get people angry. The guy just brilliant to watch in the stands never ever seen someone like him etc should be proud we got him at the club

• Fair comment about the subs, Chris, though it's at least arguable that they came on because CMS and Williams were spent rather than through any marked ambition. Looking at the highlights, Thompson looked pretty tired himself as he challenged the winger who put in the cross for the goal - he certainly put in a good shift today and had some really good touches at times.

Naturally, I share your view of the comments you heard afterwards.

• After having to fight the missus to go, spend £25 on a ticket and goodness knows how much on parking and travel I’m absolutely fuming.

I don’t want to single players out but Randell Williams’ failure to get off the pitch when substituted in under 60 seconds when his replacement had been waiting seven minutes to get on left me absolutely seething. It summed up our complete lack of ambition against a side there for the taking with a defence that didn’t seem confident. Why should we be happy with a 0-0 draw at one of the division’s weaker sides (which was clearly the task) anyway?

Incidentally bbc Coventry and Warwick were highly critical of Wycombe’s tactics - i can’t disagree with them. Akinfenwa should have been replaced at the break when he was clearly not his game on a big pitch and pace should have been on as soon as possible as that was the way to win it.

• edited October 2018

@uptheblues said:

@HCblue said:

We positioned ourselves deliberately a few rows in front of him - we like to join in with the singing but don't care to be part of the throng when they become too moronic - how middle-class, eh? Anyway, as it happens, there was a point midway through the second half when the remorseless drumming was giving me a headache. My solution would have been to move a few rows further forward rather than to demand a cessation. I'm not aware that anyone took a different line today...

What you got to understand he very over passionate about Wycombe and he not doing it to get people angry. The guy just brilliant to watch in the stands never ever seen someone like him etc should be proud we got him at the club

If it wasn't clear from my first post, let me make it so now: I have great admiration for our drummer (apologies for not remembering his name: please do enlighten me). From talking with him a few times, it's clear he's a lovely young man with an obviously sincere and positively-expressed support for the team. I'd be glad if all supporters were like him. I also like the fact of his drumming - it generates vocal support and a sense of togetherness. That I found it a bit much today later in the game was my problem, not his. As I said, I saw the solution to be my moving a little further away, had I felt the need, rather than anything else.

• edited October 2018

@Midlander said:

I don’t want to single players out but Randell Williams’ failure to get off the pitch when substituted in under 60 seconds when his replacement had been waiting seven minutes to get on left me absolutely seething. It summed up our complete lack of ambition against a side there for the taking with a defence that didn’t seem confident. Why should we be happy with a 0-0 draw at one of the division’s weaker sides (which was clearly the task) anyway?

Dragging yourself off the pitch seems to be SOP, for us and indeed pretty much every other team that feels itself to be in a position in the game worth maintaining. I share your distaste for it - it is part of the cynical expression of professionalism that alienates me from its exponents. I agree that it indicates a certain lack of ambition but suggest it is not unique to us. I would love to see us set a lead in playing with a more positive spirit in this and other regards but won't be holding my breath.

• We've had a couple of away games where we've perhaps been a bit naïve and a bit open, and shipped 3 without them actually playing that well.
    Maybe that was in the thinking today.

Lots of drum talk recently, both here and on FB. Plus Portsmouth engaging in some bizarre stuff, taking drums away as home fans don't like them!

I hate being close to the drum as it gives you a headache, but as above, just move away from it if you don't like it.
    From reading some complaints it seems the style of drumming is an issue, relentless, and not necessarily in keeping with either the flow of the game or the mood.
    Or something.

• @Malone said:

From reading some complaints it seems the style of drumming is an issue, relentless, and not necessarily in keeping with either the flow of the game or the mood.
    Or something.

Probably something in that, Malone, but, like you, not going to get too bent out of shape over it.

• @Malone said:
    We've had a couple of away games where we've perhaps been a bit naïve and a bit open, and shipped 3 without them actually playing that well.
    Maybe that was in the thinking today.

Lots of drum talk recently, both here and on FB. Plus Portsmouth engaging in some bizarre stuff, taking drums away as home fans don't like them!

I hate being close to the drum as it gives you a headache, but as above, just move away from it if you don't like it.
    Or something.

We should be lucky to have someone like him at the club. he’s just amazing loads of people look up to him and it’s good for the young ones I seen the young ones love it and lot of have gone up to him. He really does lift us fans when we are losing thou you got to admit that. But we just got to admit it I sure there something that has taken him to obsessive thou I know he over passionate but I never seen fan that can do what he does. I don’t know how he doesn’t feel the cold but I credit him for it

• @HCblue I was in a similar area a few rows in front of him. A group of four or five drunken oafs, some well old enough to know better, got temporarily tired of describing the football as (probably not unreasonably) F****** S***, and started having a go at said drummer instead, questioning his drumming ability and mental condition. He turned round and gave them a piece of his mind. Whereupon a steward approached him and told him to stop drumming (I think), because he was winding other supporters up (Pompey all over again).

YCMIU!

• I don't understand why we persisted with hoofball as the second half progressed as it became clear that the erratic wind made it almost impossible to execute. Even when Bayo won the ball the other forwards were never close enough and Morris doesn't do the foraging and second ball job nearly as well as Blooms.

Most other teams seem to run at us directly. Today it was the Cov wing backs, who would have caused more damage with better crosses. We have plenty of those players but we either don't play to their strengths or when we do get the ball to them they don't drive forward often enough. Williams in particular didn't do enough with the ball at his feet and was left on for too long.

Gape, Thompson and the defence all had decent games but something went badly wrong for the goal - need to concentrate 100% at this level etc etc.

Two very important home games coming up.

• @NewburyWanderer said:
    @HCblue I was in a similar area a few rows in front of him. A group of four or five drunken oafs, some well old enough to know better, got temporarily tired of describing the football as (probably not unreasonably) F****** S***, and started having a go at said drummer instead, questioning his drumming ability and mental condition. He turned round and gave them a piece of his mind. Whereupon a steward approached him and told him to stop drumming (I think), because he was winding other supporters up (Pompey all over again).

YCMIU!

Ah. That probably explains it then. Ho hum.

• I agree with Thompson, gape and part of the defence having a good game apart from McCarthy he doesn't look anything like the player we had before he's very poor on the ball almost donkey like

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Some people on here need to grasp the concept of sometimes we are going to lose. Particularly given we have just been promoted and have a smaller budget than most. Some of the comments about Bayo are an absolute disgrace from the stands. Big up the drummer, I'm a fan. F*** the haters mate.

• I think it is about expressing disappointment constructively. Nothing wrong in disagreeing with tactics or personnel used, but it should never cross in to abuse. These players give their all, and are going to naturally have bad games.

• @Bacon_Sandwich said:
    Some people on here need to grasp the concept of sometimes we are going to lose. Particularly given we have just been promoted and have a smaller budget than most. Some of the comments about Bayo are an absolute disgrace from the stands. Big up the drummer, I'm a fan. F*** the haters mate.

Some of the fans we have at Wycombe are idiots. He’s just so overly passionate who gives a crap if he continues he’s actually helping pushing the team. I did here people say stuff about him that I thought was so disgusting recently calling him a spastic etc . and I think some of the fans should be banned from away games and home games for there behaviour yesterday. but who gives to flying hoots I hope he continues to smash drum non stop coz he’s only one that keep us awake keep us motivated right utw roll on next Saturday

• @uptheblues have you thought about standing for election to the Trust board?

• @Onlooker said:
    @uptheblues have you thought about standing for election to the Trust board?

What do you mean mate

• I support the drummer. Well done buddy.

• @johnthehair said:
    I support the drummer. Well done buddy.

I let the drummer know thanks. I sure that make him happy mate. keep being positive and wins will come

• We certainly need passionate fans like the drummer. I think the atmosphere we have at away games tends to be brilliant and I love going to away games. I certainly can get carried away with being too passionate and I think my family can get a bit embarrassed of me! Hopefully the drummer isn't put off.

It is frustrating to lose again but I don't think there is anyone not pulling their weight and to be brutal it seems like we just lack a little bit of quality. Direct play does work even at the highest level and I can understand why Gareth is persisting with it. That said, for us fans, if we are going to lose anyway, it is better watching when we get the ball down and have CMS in the middle rather than Bayo.

• @colonel_splaffy said:
    We certainly need passionate fans like the drummer. I think the atmosphere we have at away games tends to be brilliant and I love going to away games. I certainly can get carried away with being too passionate and I think my family can get a bit embarrassed of me! Hopefully the drummer isn't put off.

It is frustrating to lose again but I don't think there is anyone not pulling their weight and to be brutal it seems like we just lack a little bit of quality. Direct play does work even at the highest level and I can understand why Gareth is persisting with it. That said, for us fans, if we are going to lose anyway, it is better watching when we get the ball down and have CMS in the middle rather than Bayo.

I totally agree with you mate on this. screw the idiots and keep backing boys. we will do it and will stay up. And keep backing the drummer that all he needs will win

• We are going to take time to adapt to this league and I am sure that eventually we will have to change our style of play to maximise our opportunities. However, finishing out of the relegation zone will be a success this season, especially with all the unsettling negotiations going on off the pitch.
    My personal view is that we need to accept that we will struggle but with all the support sticking behind the team we will be ok.

• @uptheblues said:

@HCblue said:

The drummer is a throughly genuine, passionate and honest lad. No one can argue that.

His problem is that he needs better awareness of when to start and stop drumming. His over enthusiasm can lessen the effect of the drum, and even irritate people.

It’s clear it’s caused a schism on the terrace at home games. I agree the abuse he gets from the left hand side of the terrace on match days is out of order and not cohesive to atmosphere and our overal support.

However, there’s two sides to this, even if the other side put their point across in a loutish and unpleasant way.

Less is more, when it comes to the drum, is basically what I’m trying to say.

• @OxfordBlue said:

@uptheblues said:

@HCblue said:

The drummer is a throughly genuine, passionate and honest lad. No one can argue that.

His problem is that he needs better awareness of when to start and stop drumming. His over enthusiasm can lessen the effect of the drum, and even irritate people.

It’s clear it’s caused a schism on the terrace at home games. I agree the abuse he gets from the left hand side of the terrace on match days is out of order and not cohesive to atmosphere and our overal support.

However, there’s two sides to this, even if the other side put their point across in a loutish and unpleasant way.

Less is more, when it comes to the drum, is basically what I’m trying to say.

Well if other lot spoke more politely to him.maybe he will probably change but at min they all take the Mick etc. But you need to keep With the team that all that maters. keep going with same song who know we might win. Look when we played Burton we got win because of youths up top kept it going. no one else wanted to join in but hey ho no one is as passionate as him I love the drummer hope he continues what he doing. Yes he bit OTT but who cares that’s what you call a fan.

• The left side right side war had been raging since the very birth of Adams Park

Individuals may come and go but the battle continues

• Give them all pugil sticks and safety gear and let them get on with it.

• Actually, that sounds quite fun. Give me one too.