Skip to content

Match day thread: Burton

Comments

• Live match commentary will be on BBC3CR 630/1161MW and on iFollow.

COYB!

• Looking forward to a much needed win today (and some Rev James in the Vere).

COYB!!!!

• Not really come to terms with the "through the wind and rain" bit yet.

• Charles Breakspear is the ref be afraid very afraid! So far in 13 games this season he's handed out 7 red cards.

• Nice penalty! 1-0.

• Bayo hits his 200th career goal, 2-0.

• I'm glad I'm on my way home from a very nice holiday (angrily shakes fist at God)

• Not bad at all that. Nice play for the second. Big Congrats to the big man on 200 league goals.

• That was a great first half, soaked up the pressure and took two out of three chances ourselves. Got to keep on the front foot and not sit back, keep playing our game and improve the goal difference; currently top of the bottom half!
    COYB!!!!

• @NorsQuarters said:
    That was a great first half, soaked up the pressure and took two out of three chances ourselves. Got to keep on the front foot and not sit back, keep playing our game and improve the goal difference; currently top of the bottom half!
    COYB!!!!

I'll just take the win!

• Bollocks Burtan pull one back!

• Oops Burton.

• Refs get a lot of stick. Hello lino.

• Good win. So we can compete in this division then?

• That’s a big win.

• Pretty average attacking play but grit, determination and hard work saw us through this time - great stuff

• @NorsQuarters said:
    That was a great first half, soaked up the pressure and took two out of three chances ourselves. Got to keep on the front foot and not sit back, keep playing our game and improve the goal difference; currently top of the bottom half!
    COYB!!!!

Absolutely right Nors, our attitude and approach was positive and befitting a home performance. Curtis Thompson is growing on me to the point I think he could well become a fan favourite and player of the year contender. His work rate and passion for the club today on and off the ball was brilliant.

• Today shows just how hard it's going to be to win matches this season. Fantastic 3 points and I'm sure spirits will be lifted by the way we managed to grind out the victory against a tough looking but fall over and try and con the ref team.

• Agree with Gaz re: Curtis Thompson. He was magnificent in the second half. Burton played good football with little end product. No 23 was an utter gobshite. CMS today as well - cant think of a harder working player in the quarters!

• Massive win today well done boys

• Good first half, average second half.
    Certainly no freebies this season.

But the one good thing of not being a top of the league team this year, is that you only need one win every xxx games to leap a few places.
    Just need to tick over a bit better than 1 win in 6 average and we'll be fine.

Hope Bayo isn't too bad, as whatever the knee jerk clowns on the FB site say, he CAN cut it at this level, and is still a threat with the right approach.

• A point per game so far, so right on course for 46, so just need to up the rate a bit. This was such an important win, really got that monkey off our back. Now we just need to get him back to the zoo and lock him up.

Gape was immense, I thought, and also Harriman - what a defensive play by him in the first half to snuff out that breakaway!

• @kiscokid said:
    Agree with Gaz re: Curtis Thompson. He was magnificent in the second half. Burton played good football with little end product. No 23 was an utter gobshite. CMS today as well - cant think of a harder working player in the quarters!

Dom Gape surely?

• Great win! Thought all of the midfield did well, burton dominated the first 15 but then we started to get in the game a bit more and took over. Really impressed with Thompson and agree gape also had a good game. Unbelievable last ditch defending from Harriman, jj had a decent game and Williams some superb runs down the left and put lots of decent balls in especially the goal. CMS ran his socks off as usual so overall very happy. Lino seemed to flag everyone offside a few of them looked aweful decisions especially CMS near the end, I’m in the terrace so don’t know if anyone in the FA can confirm that?

• At 2-1 up, with 5mins to go, a guy in the Frank Adams kept screaming "get on with it".

That was strange.

As was the ref booking JJ when he had 2 of their players within about 4 yards of him trying to take a free kick.

• I’m convinced that last one against CMS was incorrect. I was inline with it and I think their CB played him on. The rest were tighter and I’ll give the benefit of the doubt.

The referee stopped the game flowing from the outset and ruined what could have been some decent spells of football from both teams. Lots of poor decisions without getting anything major wrong. Often the most frustrating type of officiating.

• The middle three were excellent today. It’s easy to focus on the top three or defence but actually I think the lack of link play between the midfield and attack has been an issue all season. Dropping Morris was a big call but it worked for me. Not sure that’s the long term midfield but all three earned their place today.

• Thought Thompson played his part well today. In the long term, I think we need Morris in there, simply to look at passing the ball forward. Blooms will run into the ground for the club, but isn't the solution to our lack of link between defence and attack.

• Credit where credits due there were some very good performances today that just about got us over the line.

Were we the better team overall?

Questionable, but who cares you don’t get league points for technical merit. If I was a Burton fan I’d be disappointed not to have got a point and I’d be scratching my head about Lucas Akins playing at right back in the first half.

200 goals for Bayo, what a career. I hope he’s eyeing another 50.

Delighted for JJ too after what must have been a difficult week. A goal and an excellent performance.

Agree with the views of others on Thompson. There’s definitely something for us to work with there. Terrific in the air and a good all round performance. More to come.

Dominic Gape, Matt Bloomfield and CMS also excellent.

Finally, a big game from Darius Charles when it was really needed given the lack of other defenders.