Skip to content

Favourite / memorable Wycombe penalties?

After JJ's nerveless and emphatic penalty on Saturday...

Hayes 102nd minute v Exeter?

Martin Taylor v Wimbledon?

At the other end - Hylton missing last minute for Oxford to hand us a 2-1 win.

I also remember Dean Morgan arrogantly scoring one with his weaker left foot on a final game of the season which I enjoyed as it summed him up.

Other memorable spot kicks involving the Wanderers?

I won't mention Southend

Comments

• Martin’s against Wimbledon will never be between will it? But I remember Ben Towsend’s being pretty special too. But then they all were.

Matt Bloomfield took one in an LDV game at Gillingham that, in my memory at least, more or less left the ground.

• Grant Basey v Stevenage

• Sam Parkin's in that shoot out is absolutely obscene

Smashed it with the outside of his foot. Outrageous stuff

• Steven Craig at Torquay. Nerveless.

• Brown at home to Oxford after Vinnicombe’s was saved. The look on that rookie keepers face when the ref ordered a retake was priceless.

• @DevC said:
    Steven Craig at Torquay. Nerveless.

Were you there Dev?

• Vividly remember both Taylor saving Neil Ardley's (I think) penalty in the last minute of normal time against Wimbledon to take the game into extra time and then Mark Williams sending the decisive spot kick over the bar. What an amazing game/night that was.

For us, one that really sticks in my mind was Jon Sutton missing one in a draw at home against the Franchise. Everyone around me was mystified when he stepped up to take it (pretty sure he'd never taken one for us before), he didn't look confident and subsequently rolled it straight into the keeper's hands.

In happier memories, the sight of the net bulging as Paul Hayes whacked home his second against Tottenham. Still don't know how we lost that game.

• Hayes v Exeter, the buzz was amazing, breaking the Tuesday night curse was fantastic.

• edited September 2018

One scored, one saved...

Scotty at Altrincham in 1991: It put the seal on a memorable day and meant a first Wembley trip in my time as a supporter.

Nikki Bull at home to Crewe in 2011: I've not seen a goalkeeper celebrate quite so wildly!

• @Ned_Ludd IIRC it had been a pretty clear dive by the Crewe player and Bull was incensed when it was given, hence the celebrations. When we scored a penalty of our own a few minutes later he ran half the length of the pitch to confront the Crewe player again, allegedly shouted 'karma' at him.

• @Jonny_King Yup, that's how I recall it (though our penalty was a tad dodgy too). The Crewe player was Shaun Miller who later became the first player charged retrospectively for diving, oddly enough against us, when he was with Carlisle.

• Jacobson v Villa was another memorable one.
    @Jonny_King seem to recall that after Bull saved that, Rendell also scored one and had another saved in that game

• Bull seemed to be a penalty saving king didn't he.
    But conceded more long rangers than any keeper of ours I remember.

• The two penalties that really stick in my mind are both opposition misses; both mentioned already in this thread.

The fact that it was Mark Williams who missed the decisive kick at Selhurst Park pleased me no end, since I thought he was lucky to be on the pitch after several dirty tackles during the match. My memory is not what it was, but was it Williams who crocked Andy Baird in that match, putting him out of action for an extended period?

Danny Hylton hoofing the ball over the fence into the car park is my all-time favourite.

• Because no-one could ever get tired of watching it...

"Come on Danny... come on!"

"Oh no! No no no no. I don't believe it."

• That was magnificent.

Having been furnished with a freebie by an of the time Oxford player's wife, that I worked with, I ended up in the home stand opposite our fans.

Luckily, everyone was so gutted around me, that my massive "YESSSS" when Hylton smashed the ball into the cinema went completely unnoticed!

Wasn't it a spawny borderline decision as well?

• @Ned_Ludd said:
    @Jonny_King Yup, that's how I recall it (though our penalty was a tad dodgy too). The Crewe player was Shaun Miller who later became the first player charged retrospectively for diving, oddly enough against us, when he was with Carlisle.

Yeah ours was an Ainsworth special; drew the foul and there was contact but boy was he looking for it!

• @Uncle_T Yes, that was Williams.

• @MindlessDrugHoover said:
    Because no-one could ever get tired of watching it...

"Come on Danny... come on!"

"Oh no! No no no no. I don't believe it."

What an amazing perspective on such a wonderful moment.

• @Malone said:
    That was magnificent.

Having been furnished with a freebie by an of the time Oxford player's wife, that I worked with, I ended up in the home stand opposite our fans.

Luckily, everyone was so gutted around me, that my massive "YESSSS" when Hylton smashed the ball into the cinema went completely unnoticed!

Wasn't it a spawny borderline decision as well?

It was a blatant dive right in stoppage time, he'd done the same thing barely a minute earlier to win a free kick which was also dispatched in to the car park.

• DJ's sacking from the gasroom board was quite dramatic

• @LX1 was he viciously taken out with no warning?

• Anyone else remember a Gary Lester double penalty save at the Gasworks End back in the day? From the Hospital End terrace I remember seeing him dive full length to his right only to parry the ball back to the penalty taker who, with the goal at his mercy, stroked the ball to the other side. Somehow Lester, a big man as I recall, got up and leapt to his left to complete a remarkable double save. Can't remember the opponents.

• @Vincey said:
    Brown at home to Oxford after Vinnicombe’s was saved. The look on that rookie keepers face when the ref ordered a retake was priceless.

Some Canadian college kid in goal for Oxford, Hubert Busby The Second, very random

• Hubert Busby Junior? Feel like that might have been his first and last game for Oxford.

I remember that game well. Live on Sky as I recall.

• @Jonny_King said:
    Hubert Busby Junior? Feel like that might have been his first and last game for Oxford.

I remember that game well. Live on Sky as I recall.

Had a quick wiki and yes one league game (wish wiki gave all appearances).

19 other appearances back in north america and that was it.not great.

• I'd happily have a single Football League appearance on my Wikipedia page. Still time

• Currently the manager of Seattle Sounders Women, which is probably quite a good gig.

• I thought everybody on a public message board could have access to everybody else's email address. And I definitely did not shoot this deliciously plump breasted pigeon