Skip to content

Oxford tomorrow and line up

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• I would like to see the starting line up that worked so well against Bradford given another go. I thought having Harriman playing right midfield in front of McCarthy worked very well. Bloomfield may not be as technically skilled as Saunders, but he makes a greater contribution to our pressing game and disrupting the opposition to make it difficult for them to get the ball forward quickly and accurately than Saunders does, so I would rather have Bloomfield start.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I would go with that line up, other than Beano instead of Thompson on the bench.

• It'd be harsh for Thompson to go from a decent display at Charlton last week to not even in the 18 I'd have thought!

I think most of the team picks itself for tomorrow, back 5 certainly does (harsh on Harriman probably!), Gape - Morris, CMS, Williams, all seem certainties.

Bloomfield to come back in? Or stick with Thompson? Or go Saunders?
    Bayo or Paris to come in?

They tell me Bradford away was magical with CMS as the front man, and we looked pretty sharp at Plymouth away with similar.
    Did it work because those are two of the worst teams in the league currently, or is it the way forward?

Will be interesting to see.

• I know what change @Peter would make.

• I can't see JJ being dropped, though I agree with @Malone it's hard on Harri. Ditto Bayo.

A place on the bench for Alex Samuels? Maybe he'll start on Tuesday so perhaps not.

Any rumour re Tyson's return?

If Blooms is fit I'm sure he'll start, even if that is harsh on Thomson.

I'd love to see Freeman start, just not sure where he'd play!

My best guess is we'll see the same starting line-up as against Charlton, but with Blooms instead of Thompson.

• It is one of life's enduring mysteries why some fans don't seem to rate JJ

The best left back we've ever had, and he's having another good season

We're lucky to have him

• Agree @eric_plant what he lacks in pace he more than makes up for in ball delivery and talking nice to the officials. And Blooms has earned his pace in front of Saunders for me.
    CMS, Williams, PCH? I like that idea a lot.

• edited September 2018

Agree totally with @eric_plant on that. JJ is a classy player, so obviously a top fella, and it's been a real joy having him there for 4 years and counting.

Sido came at the same time, and it's great to see that continuity and how they've been around for the majority of this really important 5 year spell we've had.
    Sido's current form in the centre makes me wonder why we ever messed about with him at right back!

Tuesday will be a great opportunity to give a lot of players in and around the team and squad a full 90.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I would like to see us start with JJ (McCarthy, Stewart, Sido, JJ),the Harriman on the right of midfield (Harriman, Morris and Gape), then Bloomers (if fit), CMS and Williams. With bench of :- PCH, Bayo, Kashket, Thompson, Fox, Freeman, YMK.
    Can’t find a place for Fred but hopefully he will prove me wrong on Tuesday night.

• Surely we have way too much attacking threat to fit in as it is, without playing a full back in midfield?

You can't have Paris, Bayo, Tyson, Fred, Freeman, Samuel, Kashket, all just hanging about, surely?

• Just a view @Malone. I like Harriman playing in front of McCarthy and bloomers linking the front two with the midfield.

• Roll on tomorrow.
    It feels like we're really getting somewhere, but we haven't quite shown it points wise yet.

• Agreed @Malone, be great to be just concentrating on the football after all this talk of investors etc. COYB.

• Really happy with the choices we have love to see kash at some point I just feel we’re going to score as soon as he comes on

• I’m hoping to see Harri at left back again on Tuesday. For all my admiration of JJ, as a player and as a person, I wouldn’t have thought a bit of rotation would do him any harm.

• The thing about JJ is that if he was indeed whippet fast, he would not be with us anyway, as that is the only thing that has kept him from the top two divisions, surely - he is sublime at everything else!

• @eric_plant said:
    It is one of life's enduring mysteries why some fans don't seem to rate JJ

We're lucky to have him

@eric_plant said:

We're lucky to have him

@eric_plant said:

We're lucky to have him

Backs off wingers every time they run at him, if he hasn't the pace should get tighter earlier and make them beat him with a trick or skill. Usually oppositions winger will put a ball in the danger area for us to defend.
    With the lack of pace rarely will over lap and provide a decent ball at the other end.
    His lauded deliveries were poor at Charlton, if you take every corner and free kick then chances are you'll hit a good one or two out of 10. Will score a couple of free kicks a season and the pens but any player should be looking at 9 out of 10 at any level.
    Just being a nice guy isn't a reason for being a great Wycombe left back.
    He is assured and confident on the ball and as said the continuity across the back four is a great thing to have in a team and over a season the benefits are strong.
    Happy to have him Yes, lucky to have him No.

• 9 out of 10 what?

• It’s unusual for someone to register, presumably for the first time, in the early hours of the morning and that’s certainly an unusual viewpoint and analysis.

• edited September 2018

Much as I love JJ it is true that League One teams are now overloading their attacks on the right wing in order to exploit his vulnerability in pace. Fortunately with Stewart as our leftsided centre back there is support for JJ and Gape often comes across to help out. But I think we might have to start thinking about switching to four in midfield if we continue to be vulnerable in this way. With Freeman sitting in front of JJ he'd get all the support he needs, would be able to get forward more and do what he does best and once again prove himself as one of the best left backs in the division.

With Freeman left midfield and Harriman right midfield we'd look so much more balanced and get the best out of the squad we have. We'd have to sacrifice one central midfielder and one wide forward but my goodness we'd look strong in the attack and confident in defence.

• @Roy said:
    Backs off wingers every time they run at him, if he hasn't the pace should get tighter earlier and make them beat him with a trick or skill.

If he gets in tighter, earlier, then his lack of pace would guarantee that they’d beat him, whereas holding off at the right distance for the winger to make a move gives him literally an extra yard. Not only that but it forces the winger to wait for a crossing opportunity giving the rest of the back line longer to organise.

I think he knows exactly what he’s doing and is very good at it. The number of people in our terrace who shout terrible advice like “get tighter” at JJ is quite bizarre.

• I agree with Harriman in the team, personally think he should be in starting 11 no matter what

• "Will score a couple of free kicks a season and the pens but any player should be looking at 9 out of 10 at any level.". Err, What's Ronaldos hit rate from free kicks?

• I presume @roy just meant penalties, and even there he’s way off. Alan Shearer was a great penalty taker and he didn’t achieve 9/10. Christians Ronaldo doesn’t either. Very, very few people do. Le Tissier is one. Leighton Baines too I think.

• @Roy registering at 2 in the morning to get that off your chest

Hope it was worth it

• I'd start with this lot today.

Allsopp
    Harriman
    JJ
    McCarthy
    Stewart
    Gape
    Morris
    Saunders
    Randell
    Kashket
    CMS

• Allsop
    McCarthy
    Sido
    Stewart
    JJ
    Morris
    Gape
    Bloomfield
    Williams
    CMS
    PCH

• Williams must be extra special to be singled out for first name treatment! But I agree he has to start. After what we heard about him on Wednesday (I assume it must have been him) he is clearly regarded very highly indeed at Watford.