Skip to content

Freeman

I think we ought to start a petition to insist that he plays a full match. He has never let the team down and each time has played to a high standard,yet again and again he is left on the bench and given a few minutes as a sub I think the guy has had a really raw deal and deserves better

Comments

• great idea

• Definitely. Put him in the Bloomfield role. He is fast, happy to take people on. Can play his part when needed to defend and is not afraid of a tackle. I would certainly have him in with Gape and Morris.

• I rate Nick Freeman very highly indeed. Often, when others around him are chasing around at ninety miles an hour and/or flying into challenges, his composure and carefully crafted play shine out like a beacon. His crossing from the left has become a prominent feature and he also also has a powerful shot in his locker.

However, I doubt whether too many managers would take into account a fans’ petition when deciding on their matchday squad.

• edited September 2018

He's not actually fast at all, in fairness.
    But he has great technique and composure. Quite rarely so.

We have such options though, especially now. It's quite hard to see him getting regular starts, which is why the cups are valuable.

• Speed is relative Malone and in comparison to me he is grease lightening.

• If he was properly fast, he'd be one heck of a player. But then I suppose we can say that for a lot of lower league players with a lot of attributes.

• Imagine if Bayo was as fast as Usain Bolt!

• I know this sounds very insensitive, but just like we needed El-Abd to get injured to show the defence could not just survive without him but could actually improve, I wonder if the same will be the case if Bloomfield is out this weekend. I'm sure either Saunders or Freeman will relish the opportunity to play in attacking midfield at Charlton, if they get the opportunity, and do their utmost to claim that position as their own.

• @mooneyman said:
    Imagine if Bayo was as fast as Usain Bolt!

Ha ha, he'd never be able to stop and would disappear past the goal line like Forrest Gump did!

• Throughout football history forced changes due to injury have shaped a lot of excellent teams.

• Be Good, and if you can't be good be lucky.

• @aloysius said:
    I know this sounds very insensitive, but just like we needed El-Abd to get injured to show the defence could not just survive without him but could actually improve, I wonder if the same will be the case if Bloomfield is out this weekend. I'm sure either Saunders or Freeman will relish the opportunity to play in attacking midfield at Charlton, if they get the opportunity, and do their utmost to claim that position as their own.

Bloomfield must be pretty close to our player of the season so far.

• You think? I'd go for Stewart then CMS. I've a feeling it will eventually end up as Morris or Kashket though.

• Bloomfield has been excellent so far and I’m happy to leave team selection to the manager.

• McCarthy come the end of the season is my forecast.

• @Malone said:
    He's not actually fast at all, in fairness.
    But he has great technique and composure. Quite rarely so.

>
    What Nick does have is ‘a change of gear’ which takes him past defenders and helps the appearance of pace.

• Lots of positive player performances so far.

CMS has shown that we perhaps wasted him a little last season, showing he can comfortably lead the line and offer different strengths to Bayo.
    Morris and McCarthy have come in with quality and lifted everyone's performance

Sido looks superb alongside Stewart, and look like a solid combo, even when El Abd comes back.

Williams looked our best player by far in the first few games where the team generally struggled. He's dropped down a bit since.

Bloomfield has produced his customary strong run of form, just when it again looked like it was one season too many.

Harriman, Saunders and Paris have it all to do to get in the strongest lineup at the moment. You can probably add Bayo to that too, with CMS's strong showing.

Add Tyson and Charles, and this has to be the most packed, quality squad we've had for years.

• Agree with all of that @Malone . As I recall it was Hayes injury then bad form that made Bayo first choice...IMO we should start with CMS as our striker with the big guy as a very able back up. Having said that...I do love to see Akinfenwe play. It a quandary.

• edited September 2018

@Wendoverman, you see it every so often, a player who is at one stage either untouchable, or you wouldn't dream of leaving out, gets injured, and the team finds a much more effective way of playing.

In the Premier league, Van Gaal stumbled across similar at the time he was ludicrously trying to pack Rooney, Van Persie and Falcao into the same line up - injuries happened, and one up front led to their best run all season.

Bayo was clearly brought in as some sort of plan B, and he was actually playing in the checkatrade early season (or whatever it was named 2 years ago), then quickly became our absolute key player in Plan A. Looking at how important he became, it's quite comical to remember him playing in the least important fixtures to start with!

Luckily, we have a lot of games back to back at the moment, so we can switch things around, without it even appearing as if there's been any dropping, or status change.

I'd crack on with CMS central for now, with 2 pacy wide players. Bayo can come on depending on the situation with 20-30mins to go, or kept fresh for another game. Last year we certainly overrelied on him, leaving him utterly wiped out near the end of the season, and in the end actually injured.

• Exactly as I said earlier.

• Is Nick injured? Not named in squad for Charlton.

• If fit he must despair.

• Well he hasn’t walked out. Just spotted him near the bench, oddly in kit I think.

• Everyone in travel kit just saw El Abd in same off coach on instagram

• He was doing a solo warm up before the game, so just left out of the 18.

It'll have to happen most weeks with this bigger squad.

Tyson, El Abd, Bloomfield, Fox, Charles and Freeman on the books in addition to the 18 today. We'll probably always have an injury or 2, but there will always be a senior player of 3 left out completely.

Today, we had Paris, Kashket and Fred on the bench. Should he be ahead of any of them? Hard to argue.

With those 3, and Saunders, we needed some sort of more defence based players there too, hence Bean as well as Harriman.

• Plus Samuel left out too.

Guess Charles Broomfield Tyson and El abd injured, Fox, Samuel, Freeman not selected today

• edited September 2018

@Croider , good shout, I'd actually forgotten him!

I am wondering a bit why we've signed this third keeper.
    Bearing in mind we went a season or 2 with an emergency mid 40s guy on the bench as cover!

• I think it's because Yves is off to Barcelona where he'll be more appreciated eh @Peter??