Skip to content

Match day thread: Northampton (EFL Throphy)

Comments

• @BSE are you suggesting we may be playing to lose?

• Im guessing you're referring to the BteamBoycott @LX1 ?

not suggesting we play to lose just my personal gripe with "under 21" teams in the cup.

https://twitter.com/AgainstLeague3?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

http://www.fsf.org.uk/blog/view/against-league-three

• Starting XI: Ma-Kalambay, Thompson, Harriman, Stewart, Fox, Saunders, Cowan-Hall, Freeman, Samuel, Onyedinma, Kashket.

Subs: Yates, Williams, Morris, Mackail-Smith, Bean, Gape, Jombati.

We appear to be playing our favoured 4-1-5 formation

• edited September 2018

Looks like a 3-2-5 to me haha! Saunders and Thompson protecting a back 3 which includes two full backs!

• Well we can see why we signed all these attacking players!
    They’ll certainly be goals...I imagine in both ends, not sure who GA is expecting to make a tackle in the midfield...assuming Thompson and Harriman will be playing at the back

• edited September 2018

That's an exciting attacking line up.

Hard to tell who is going to be playing where, but it'll be interesting for sure!

• Thompson and Harri must be playing at LB and RB, Saunders in midfield, Fred up front...after that, take your pick i guess!

• @BSE I was just referring to the title of this thread. Although I do share your gripes

• Most attacking selection ever?! Wings will be crowded. Total football or carnage, or both, ahead.

• ah sorry, @LX1 my brain is clearly not engaged tonight.

• No Pierre for Northampton still.
    Is he still injured, from the end of last season?!

• Can't not pay a tenner to watch the stream after seeing that starting lineup.

• Are there still rules on selection for this?

• What a goal that was.

• Great performance so far.

A few players putting their hats in the ring for Saturday.

• @shimmeringleonknight Good call. The album's been big of late in my house.

"I'd rather gaze upon your curves than watch Ipswich Town reserves", is a line and a half.

• That was almost a Jason Cousins tackle that.

• Fox is a very lucky boy

• Pretty impressed with every player so far, Stewart, Kashket and Harriman probably the standouts but nobody has been noticeable as below par.

• Ideal little workout for players needing a game so far.
    Keep it going, get the win, top of the group, and 10k.

• Saunders and Freeman excellent in midfield.

• He certainly is, I think if he’d done that in a league match away from home in front of a baying crowd he might have been off.

I know it shouldn’t make a difference but....

Good half though. Samuel, Kashket, Freeman, Saunders, Stewart all impressing.

Fox, moment of madness apart, has done well. Thompson looks a useful option at RB and Harriman likewise at LB.

More of the same please.

• Any idea why Stewart has gone off? Not an injury I hope (don't have iFollow and out of range for 3CR)

• My guess would be that GA only wants each of his first choice centre halves playing 45 mins.

No suggestion of an injury.

• Freeman is having a great game.

• He is isn’t he.

Good timing too, with Matt Bloomfield injured there’s a vacancy in the advanced position in the midfield triangle.

• Enjoyed that. Several strong candidates for man of the match, but for me, Freeman should have it. He was sublime this evening.

• I’ve said before, I think Freeman is a class player, and I thought he showed it tonight. Samuel worked really hard and showed some good skill but I didn’t feel he showed much penetration. But it’s early days for him.

But when all is said and done, we have Sido to thank; what anticipation on the line.

• Lots to like about that performance.

Full 90 minutes and wonderful goal from Kashket.
    Alex Samuel, he'll do. Like a young CMS. Led the line admirably and energetically.
    Curtis Thompson, really, really good at right back.
    Freeman, given a chance in midfield and excelled. Pick him Saturday Gareth.
    Yves, solid in goal
    Stewart & Sido, 45 classy minutes each.
    Saunders, looked comfortable in the deeper holding role.