Skip to content

Three pivotal moments in the second half changed today's game.

2»

Comments

• Welcome back @glasshalfempty - your exclamation marks give you away.

I thought Harriman would have been a better replacement for Bloomfield than Thompson as he would have continued the running and would have offered more width in midfield when Luton switched to 433.

I'm glad Gareth tried something else with Bayo and CMS in a tight front two. Not sure Williams is the most effective man to play behind them (I'd still prefer Saunders on the pitch!) but it's good he shook things up a little. I suspect we'll see a return to 433 next week though, with Williams and Fred either side of either CMS or Bayo.

A couple of people have said that the result against Luton shows we can compete in this division. I'm not sure how drawing at home against another promoted side proves that (though I accept it's an improvement on last season's result) and I still think we should be trying out a 532 formation, especially now we're chockablock with quality defenders (Freeman also distinguished himself as left wing back against West Ham). That would have probably prevented a four-on-one counter attack yesterday. But now the nerves are settling it certainly looks like we have a decent chance of at least remaining around the 16th spot in the table - a finishing position I would be delighted with.

• I just thought it was an exciting game of end to end football and we matched Luton for the most part and got NJ so riled he was not able to do postmatch intervews which was a plus. Bryn Morris is an excellent signing I think...he was everywhere. We showed character and except for a dodgy period after the missed penalty, we were still having a go a la Carlisle right until the final whistle. It was nice of @glasshalfempty to point out the main points of the match for the people who did not go, did not watch, did not listen or do not have the world wide interweb. My own thoughts were if we had scored the second penalty and they had not equalised, we would have won. I too will be happy to beat the drop, but think it looks like we are slowly adapting and might do even better than we had hoped. Once the new lad from Liverpool arrives obviously...`

• Apologies for the tardy reply, I have been pretending to have one of those life things over here.

@Rolo - I reckon you're on to a winner with those new glasses! ; )

@NorsQuarters - you consider planning for a second penalty taker is daft? Well, how bizarre! My Liverpool fan days are over. That Mo Salah's a player tho' isn't he? As for them breaking quickly and overloading on the counter-attack, my question is literally, "How could this happen?" Surely we can at least plan to mitigate the risk? @glasshalffull's alter ego? Yikes, I'm not sure which one of us ought to more offended! No it wasn't a good point, it was two points dropped as far I'm concerned. I'd also greatly appreciate it if you left my jap's eye out of it if you don't mind? *coughs

@ericplant Pipe down Badger!

@wingnut I know we have to get our excitement where we can get it but my goalkeeper juggling the ball on to the head of an opponent to score really doesn't do it for me!

@Chris Who d'ya think I am? OptaJoe? I'm right out of stat packs but were you really confident when JJ stepped up for a second time like some kinda of penalty-taking Evil Knievel?

@glasshalffull They do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! I never doubted our ability to compete at this level, especially with Gareth Ainsworth in charge. As for our respective philosophical outlooks, I prefer realism to relentless negativity. Watching Sido channel the spirit of Alfie Mawson was a joy to behold and how good was Matt Bloomfield? Suggest an area of team where there is room for improvement? G'arn I dare ya!

@LeedsBlue @eric_plant loves a LOL doesn't he? From "Worst match summariser ever" to "you make some good points" - I'll take that! It was my first post as @glasshalfempty - we'd all take our virginity back if we could, right? right? Even by your maths it leaves Allsop in debt and that's just yesterday's game and not harking back to the mistakes he's made in previous matches this season. He's going cause us more problems than some opposition strikers this season.

@floyd Is it still August over there?

@aloysius Oh leave it out! There were only two exclamation marks (one in each post!). Thanks for the welcome (back). I am not sure what the question is if the answer is Curtis Thompson over Michael Harriman.

@Wendoverman Glad to be of service old chap. Winding up Nathan Jones is always fun if not the most challenging of tasks. I agree about Bryn Morris too - he was AWEsome!

• edited September 2018

On the issue of the penalty...when we know gilt edge chances do not come along like that very often and goalkeeper heroics aside - I would expect a professional footballer to score from the spot. But I am sure JJ is well aware of that.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    Apologies for the tardy reply, I have been pretending to have one of those life things over here.

@NorsQuarters - you consider planning for a second penalty taker is daft? Well, how bizarre! My Liverpool fan days are over. That Mo Salah's a player tho' isn't he? As for them breaking quickly and overloading on the counter-attack, my question is literally, "How could this happen?" Surely we can at least plan to mitigate the risk? @glasshalffull's alter ego? Yikes, I'm not sure which one of us ought to more offended! No it wasn't a good point, it was two points dropped as far I'm concerned. I'd also greatly appreciate it if you left my jap's eye out of it if you don't mind? *coughs

@ericplant Pipe down Badger!

@wingnut I know we have to get our excitement where we can get it but my goalkeeper juggling the ball on to the head of an opponent to score really doesn't do it for me!

@Chris Who d'ya think I am? OptaJoe? I'm right out of stat packs but were you really confident when JJ stepped up for a second time like some kinda of penalty-taking Evil Knievel?

@glasshalffull They do say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! I never doubted our ability to compete at this level, especially with Gareth Ainsworth in charge. As for our respective philosophical outlooks, I prefer realism to relentless negativity. Watching Sido channel the spirit of Alfie Mawson was a joy to behold and how good was Matt Bloomfield? Suggest an area of team where there is room for improvement? G'arn I dare ya!

@LeedsBlue @eric_plant loves a LOL doesn't he? From "Worst match summariser ever" to "you make some good points" - I'll take that! It was my first post as @glasshalfempty - we'd all take our virginity back if we could, right? right? Even by your maths it leaves Allsop in debt and that's just yesterday's game and not harking back to the mistakes he's made in previous matches this season. He's going cause us more problems than some opposition strikers this season.

@floyd Is it still August over there?

@aloysius Oh leave it out! There were only two exclamation marks (one in each post!). Thanks for the welcome (back). I am not sure what the question is if the answer is Curtis Thompson over Michael Harriman.

@Wendoverman Glad to be of service old chap. Winding up Nathan Jones is always fun if not the most challenging of tasks. I agree about Bryn Morris too - he was AWEsome!

Well, I'm not sure what Sunday pint you're on, (last sentence being the exception), but I sure as hell wouldn't mind the recipe? Is there anyone on here you haven't had/picked an argument with?

• I’m always confident but never sure we’ll score a penalty. I’d rather JJ was taking it than the next player on the list though.

• @glasshalfempty said:
    Apologies for the tardy reply, I have been pretending to have one of those life things over here.

What can I say? I'm a glasses half full kind of guy.

But... your post implies I was wrong. Didn't Allsopp also save well in a one on one and tip another one onto the post in the last few minutes?

• Glasshalfempty, you can’t deny that your original post was an essay in negativity even if you might have made some valid points. Areas of improvement? There are obviously several things that we could do better but we are what we are and as long as our qualities outweigh our limitations I will continue to be positive.

• Who actually is the next player on the list? I assume its CMS (who's already missed one penalty this season) but if not him is it Kashket? Saunders? Jombati?

• I would trust Stuart with a spot kick any day

• To be honest if I was the designated penalty taker and had just scored one I would be pretty pissed of if someone said ‘hand me the ball please JJ. I think you might miss this one.’

Makes more sense if he had missed the first one to change it

• That's the logical approach with our current state of knowledge, @bookertease. As others have said, I wonder if there is any study of second penalty success rates...

• Kashket's penalty in the Northampton shootout was a masterpiece.

• @EwanHoosaami Give me a week at least!

@Rolo Nah, I was trying to imply you were stating the obvious. You’d want your goalkeeper to make those saves though, right?

@glasshalffull I’m pleased that your recognised my points have some validity. I guess the point of my essay in negativity is to find improvement so we can finally beat those conceited hat freaks at Adams Park.

• I thought it was unethical to give intelligence drugs to the @trevor’s of this world? Still got to be impressed by their effectiveness

• It's not necessarily even just "second pen syndrome", it's the combination of the massive delay.
    You often see pens missed when such a delay occurs, so the odds on a miss had really ramped up with both factors.

@aloysius , I was wondering that too. We've drawn with a team who came up with us.
    However, I get people's sentiments, that we're showing we can compete with teams in our league on a regular basis now.

The "beauty" when you're not competing at the top, is that you don't need to win so regularly, and draws can be plenty to keep you out of danger.

The next three games will give us a great test.

• @bookertease Behave yr’self.

@Chris Scott Kashket is a great shout as an alternative penalty taker. Would be even better if he featured more regularly on the pitch.

• Thanks @glasshalfempty I was feeling left out

• @glasshalfempty said:

@Rolo Nah, I was trying to imply you were stating the obvious. You’d want your goalkeeper to make those saves though, right?

Of course you would want him to, but not sure you could reasonably expect him to save both. One on ones often favour the attacker, especially with the square ball on. That fingertip down low onto the post was a fantastic save. He deserved the luck of the ball bouncing straight back to him.
    Obviously the goal was a howler on his part but I feel that he'll redeem himself more than let himself down over the course of the season.

• Enjoyed a couple of posts this afternoon (3.42pm and 4.19pm) but for very different reasons. @Wendoverman is consistently amusing and @glasshalfempty seems to know even more people on here than I do. Love his style.

• I don't know anything or anyone, so thanks @micra