Skip to content

Match day thread: Luton

Comments

• Flaming Luton Hoodoo!

Walking up about 2, very light on police presence surprisingly, but the way it should be.

Thought officials were decent, Akinfenwa actually won a foul rather than being ignored.

Bloomfield was immense, hurt losing him and CMS and Jombati were also great. Quiet from Williams, but he has been ace so far.

Howler from Alsopp for their goal, great save from Shea for the penalty stop, those were the game changers. Was very impressed by Cornick for Luton, gave us a hard time. Alsopp made up with a couple of top saves.

Overall, would have taken 1-1 at KO, so it's not all bad

• We've moved up to 16th and Plymouth are bottom so today hasn't been too bad!

• edited September 2018

The colourful language towards GA late in the game from sections of the Luton fans was quite unnecessary. What even sparked that off? Strange

• We're destined never to beat Luton at home aren't we.
    Totally dominated them until that pen miss.

That whole incident was a massive farce, the ref seeming to book the wrong player, but instead of just moving on, for some reason he allowed his attention to be diverted by the 4th official - while JJ was waiting to take the game changing kick.
    Pure farce coming back to the "Booked" player telling him he now wasn't booked (presumably), booking the right player, scribbling it out in his little book, and THEN allowing the pen.

Everyone knew it'd then be missed, pens are ALWAYS missed when that sort of delay happens.

After that it was mostly Luton, and one of the all time most incredible missed opportunities, as a full 4 on 1 breakaway was wasted. Allsop making some great saves too.
    Shame he bungled so badly for their goal. That and some strange kicks made it a very mixed performance for him.

• edited September 2018

Enjoyable game today and strangely I missed Diving Danny. It's just not the same without him.

The delay at the second penalty was poor refereeing and ultimately changed the game. Surely what happened shouldn't ever happen?

The Luton fans chose a strange method of cheering throw ins and goal kicks, jeering the Wycombe players at every challenge and giving their own team very little support at all. All very odd.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I don’t think we chose to, we lost Blooms at a crucial point and Thompson was a bit of a passenger when he came on. Couple of decent block tackles, but was never running into the spaces like Blooms was in the first half.

• Interesting and entertaining game. I though the tactics were excellent first half where we matched their 442 diamond. Stewart and Jombati dealt with their two strikers easily. It changed for me when they went 433 and stopped playing into the front man and instead looked to get the ball wide and attack our full backs. In turn that also prevented JJ and Macca from getting so much room out wide when we were in possession. They serve some credit for the change of shape to get back into it.

Overall a draw is a fair reflection of the game, although both sides had the chance to win it.

• I can't stand Luton, but that was a classic. Gutted, as I feel the referee potentially changed the momentum (to be fair, maybe JJ misses anyway), but Luton were always going to be heard from, and some of the chances they missed at the end were incredible. How many 4 on 1 breaks ever happen? I can let Allsop off the odd howler if he follows it with three or so astounding saves.

I watched Man City-Newcastle afterwards, and was bored out of my mind (though no rooting interest does not help), whereas the word 'pulsating' was created for games like this. Luton are one of those necessary villains that adds spice to football. I can imagine both sets of players shaking hands at the end with that Hollywood cliché... "I can't stand you, but I respect the hell out of you."

• Good game probally a fair result in the end I thought Blooms and Sido were excellent today. Think thats 15 home games without a win against Luton talk about boogy team. Looking forward to Charlton next week.

• *Whereas when GA shakes hands with Nathan Jones, it is just "I can't stand you".

• Luton Town, starring Mark Wahlberg and Disco Danny Senda

• Sido has had excellent spells in the centre these last few years, it's good to see him get the opportunity to do so this early in the season.
    He works very well with Stewart

• I really really really hate luton. the town, the club, the team, most of all totally deluded scum fans. I really needed to post that. that was quite cathartic.

• I think each of the last three weeks, the opposing fans have posted how we look like a dire team, headed for relegation, and yet we are unbeaten in those three games. Funny that.

• Took two mates today, both completely neutral and they both said that was a brilliant match. Both also said a draw was the right result, that we should have been out of sight at 60 mins but Lu'on could have had 4. Felt oddly relieved, aggrieved and exilerated at the end. Definitely starting to feel like we can really compete in this division.

• Lots of unhappy Lu'on fans online. We really seem to get under their skin for some reason.

• LX1LX1
    edited September 2018

I'm not sure there is any evidence for a player missing second time would be interesting to see the data. Maybe @oilysailor could help out?

I looked at it from a different angle. How many variations of penalty does JJ have? it is the natural side to go for a left footer. I would imagine Luton (and all other clubs) research this. Their keeper went that side first time, and went harder that side second.

• sorry that was meant for pivotal thread

• Don’t worry LX1.

• Has there ever been a pivotal thread on the Gasroom?

• Give me a place to stand and I will move the posters

• @Jonny_King and it's not like they don't know what they're going to get with Wycombe.
    Surprisingly many of their most angry posters are interchangeable with ours...what is Jones doing, without Hylton we are not good enough for League One...etc etc.

• My attempts at pivotal posting in this thread proved futile against the might of @drcongo anti-negativity algorithms.

• Strewth

• Has Nathan Jones reacted yet?

• @Wendoverman I think he let Paul get to the Hart of the matter!

*tumbleweed

• *ryegrass

• @Wendoverman said:
    Has Nathan Jones reacted yet?

Yep apparantly Luton won yesterday, he really is a pathetic turd.

• Luton must be the unluckiest team in the world. By the law of averages, things will eventually change and Nathan will lead his men into the Premier League where they rightfully belong.