Skip to content

Match day thread: Luton

BSEBSE
edited September 2018 in Football

Comments

• It seems we rarely have a boring game against Luton, so excited whatever may come, abut also feel cautiously optimistic.

• Last year's game at Adams Park turned into a nightmare but it's always entertaining although Diving Danny throw himself around makes my blood boil

• I heard @bluntphil mention on Tuesday's commentary that we have never beaten Luton at home.....can that be right...? That is until today!! Fred with a hat trick! COYB

• Last seasons 3-2 win at the Kenilworth road, was IMO the turning point of that season and our best away performance in years. Loved it seeing those silly Luton oafs whinging at the final whistle. We'll need to be on our game today! COYB.

• edited September 2018

The hatters are looking far better organised than when we last met them.sternest test for our lads today.are we able to utilise the beer tent today or is segregation in place pre match ?

• It's for away fans only I believe. Although if you're not wearing colours and behave properly I'm not sure how they'd know, unless they check match tickets on the way in

• The Hour Glass is for home fans only today, I think I read, but of course that is similarly difficult to police.

• 13 consecutive home games against Luton without a win. Another record for our esteemed manager to shatter.

• @micra said:
    The Hour Glass is for home fans only today, I think I read, but of course that is similarly difficult to police.

Wasn't it just for Luton fans last season?

• @micra , it felt like last season's home game was the one to wipe that record away, and so close!

Let's hope it's today, in which is a big game really.
    A loss and we can be sucked back down to the relegation zone, a win, and we're running free in mid table.

• @Aimlesslywandering said:
    Last seasons 3-2 win at the Kenilworth road, was IMO the turning point of that season and our best away performance in years. Loved it seeing those silly Luton oafs whinging at the final whistle. We'll need to be on our game today! COYB.

That game really did set the tone for the second half of the season.

• We just passed a few large groups of Luton walking up from Frogmoor but no trouble sighted

• @Aimlesslywandering said:
    Last seasons 3-2 win at the Kenilworth road, was IMO the turning point of that season and our best away performance in years. Loved it seeing those silly Luton oafs whinging at the final whistle. We'll need to be on our game today! COYB.

Crazy to think it led straight into the Carlisle game, too!

• No DDH for Luton the cheating **** is out injured.

• Allsopp, Sido, McCarthy, Stewart, JJ, Gape, Blooms, Morris, Bayo, CMS, Williams.

YMK, Harriman, Thompson, Saunders, Kashket, Freeman, Fred.

• Surprised Bayo starts considering our last 2 League games went well with him on the bench,at least we've plenty of attacking options waiting to come on if it's not going well.

• I get why we let FGR take us to penalties now...practice for JJ, as we knew Luton would be dirty.

• Oh the irony of Luton fans screaming cheat at Bloom field, given their adulation of DDH!

• Seemed like he was looking for it, but if it's a foul it's a foul.

Started the half well but started to get dragged into hitting it long as the half wore on. That said, the penalty came from Gape's long pass.

Luton look dangerous though and one isn't going to be enough I fear. Big half coming.

• I thought we looked much the better team for the whole first half. Playing some nice football too though a little too much head tennis in the middle.

• What a half! We are dominating them all over the park. Stand out performances from Jombati, Bryn Morris and Matty B. Won us the penalty and has been a thorn in their side along with Bayo who takes two men out of the game every time the ball comes near him. Jacobson is also giving good crosses, as was Gape’s for Matty’s run for the pen.

Excellent display, formation and tactics. The only time we look exposed is when we are not winning the second ball. COYB!

• CMS should get a mention in there too. We’re 10th as things stand.

• Dennis Bloomkamp is having a sterling game but Sido is the king of the first half.

• Tru dat. He’s been winning balls on the wing and finding a pass. Stuart also playing well, McCarthy a class act and Williams causing trouble with pace and a few good chips towards the danger zone. Any more for any more?!

• Unbelievable! Leave JJ put to dry so Jones can have his explanation. Outrageous.

• More work from Williams required to press the Luton back line. Fred clearly needs game time. Kashket in too late
    Poor officials during the penalty - let him take it, then dick around.
    Apart from that a decent game, one that we could have easily won.

• Both teams will feel like they should have won that.

Up until the second penalty we were in complete control. They hadn't had a chance all game. Missing the pen swung the momentum towards them massively, and they dominated from then on - quite easily could have won the game after equalising from Allsop's drop. To be fair to him, he half-redeemed himself with some fantastic saves after that.

We also had some good chances at the end through Morris and Stewart. Fantastic entertainment throughout

• Definitely the better team. Penalty miss and goalkeeper error obviously cost us. Morris and Gape played well in the middle and the back four were pretty good. Williams dropped off a bit second half and a bit hard on CMS going off. Not sure about Thompson. Not sure why the ref didn’t let JJ take the penalty before talking to Jones.

• That game had 21 shots in the second half. Excellent entertainment, no complaints.

• An exciting game, but at the risk of being a negative Norman I thought we were second best for most of the second half and didn't really create a huge amount apart from speculative shots from range.
    We weren't poor by any stretch, but it wasn't the same scintillating second half display we saw at Argyle. I agree the penalty miss swung the momentum and after that their goal was always coming.

We were clinging on with our fingernails at the end and it took a combination of excellent defending and some great stops by Allsopp to keep them out.

No criticism of JJ, but I'm a big advocate of changing taker if you get more than one penalty. He went the same way and the keeper guessed right.

Just glad we didn't lose and how nice not to have to put up with DDH's theatrics. The good run of form continues, just need to sharpen up in front of goal and start getting some wins.