Skip to content

Match day thread: Bradford

13»

Comments

• @OxfordBlue said:

@wingnut said:
    A match report and reaction from the opposition seem to be missing so far this season. Are they finished?

Sadly yes. I miss the oppo view so much I might start doing it myself.

From what I understand VitalWycombe is a volunteer driven info site so if you do want to get involved perhaps @Vital could shed some light on the process.

I am sure there are quite a few of us who would love to see the articles back up and running there.

• It looked to me like it was going straight in the top corner even without Mackail-Smith's help.

• The keeper was very poor I thought but it was a wicked delivery that may anyway have gone straight in.

If that finished 0-3 They could have had no complaints.

It was only a brain fart from the otherwise faultless Sido that gifted them an undeserved consolation.

We were far more fit, cohesive and had way more desire than them, and GA deserves credit for that. We must have caught them at a good time. I don't think their manager will last much longer at all.

• I’m already thinking ahead to Nathan Jones next week. He always trots out “you know what you’re getting with Wycombe”.

But does he?

• Brilliant corner by JJ, on the fans videos on Facebook you get really good views, not sure it would have snuck in on its own but an excellent "buffet ball" as they now say.

• This time last week I was very concerned after the poor display at home to Rovers. This was the total opposite and just as I thought last weekend’s opponents could have easily beaten us 3 or 4 nil, we could have won by a bigger margin today.

The management and players deserve a lot of credit for transitioning the style of play so quickly. We’re passing neatly through the lines and CMS is doing a fine job up top, bringing others into the game.

Once again I was very impressed with the combination of Gape, Morris and McCarthy. They seem to link up very nicely. Long may it continue.

Bradford did seem to run out of ideas quite quickly, but that was largely down to our good press. Their number 10 did look a decent player.

• Great result. BBC live text seemed to have a gasroom style repeating error ' Morris shot blocked...' every time it refreshed. Not doing my prediction record any good but I can live with it.

• I was terribly torn during added time. An equaliser would probably have put me top of @DevC’s WHC table but would have been a travesty of justice and I’m still in a playoff position (I think) and the Blues are in nosebleed territory at 17th.

I was interested to see Jack Payne (the Bradford number 10) singled out by @Glenactico. He was on loan at Oxford (from Huddersfield) last season and has started this season on loan at Valley Parade. According to Wikipedia he is 5’5” and plays as an attacking midfielder. Before today he had played four games and scored twice. His namesake, Stefan Payne, who impressed last weekend for Bristol Rovers, is 6’2”. Both were born in London.

• A thoroughly enjoyable and professional performance .
    From moment 1 we were bang on the money and looked quicker , slicker and more industrious than Bradford who were very poor .
    Anthony stewart was classy , stopping everything that came his way then finding a decent pass forward.
    Ive never been the biggest fan of craig up front however this was the best ive seen him play - thought he was immense - a constant menace - gave their defenders no time on the ball - his timing in aerial battles really was superb - thoroughly deserved his goal .
    Blooms ran his socks off and along with the rest of the midfield was very effective .
    Loved the fact that we played out from the back , on the floor , However at the right time, were able to mix it up and revert back to lumping it up field .

All in all. A great away day - my bradford friends were very impressed with the noise we made - they all agreed the scoreline flattered them and thought we looked well organised , fitter , quicker to the 2nd ball and all round a very well drilled unit

• @Frenchfry said:
    A thoroughly enjoyable and professional performance .
    From moment 1 we were bang on the money and looked quicker , slicker and more industrious than Bradford who were very poor .
    Anthony stewart was classy , stopping everything that came his way then finding a decent pass forward.
    Ive never been the biggest fan of craig up front however this was the best ive seen him play - thought he was immense - a constant menace - gave their defenders no time on the ball - his timing in aerial battles really was superb - thoroughly deserved his goal .
    Blooms ran his socks off and along with the rest of the midfield was very effective .
    Loved the fact that we played out from the back , on the floor , However at the right time, were able to mix it up and revert back to lumping it up field .

All in all. A great away day - my bradford friends were very impressed with the noise we made - they all agreed the scoreline flattered them and thought we looked well organised , fitter , quicker to the 2nd ball and all round a very well drilled unit

Fully agree

Before the last two games I thought CMS was the least effective of our attacking options (I would have played all of Kashket, Bayo, Williams, PCH, Freeman and Tyson ahead of him), and had been since the start of the year. He'd only scored vs Crewe and Swindon before yesterday. However, he has looked brilliant in our new system against Plymouth and Bradford, so would have him starting as the focal point every game from now on. Bayo to come on with 20 mins to go after he has ran himself into the ground.

I gave Morris MOTM on the coach back down yesterday. Great passer and controls the midfield - helped by an awesome long shot. Not sure how he hasn't scored before. Everyone played well though, apart from maybe Williams - but he has been our best player in the first few games of the season so I don't mind the occasional below par game.

• I didn't see the match so fully expect to be told to shut it, but I still can't get my head around how Bloomfield can be preferred to Saunders in attacking midfield. Sure, he runs about more, but with CMS as the central striker surely having someone with the vision and skill to play the through ball at just the right moment would offer so much more?

• I can see your point in terms of creativity, but Bloomfield is one of those players that does a great job for the team without catching the eye. I’m sure that Saunders time will come (Tuesday perhaps?) but managers don’t tend to change a winning team.

• @aloysius said:
    I didn't see the match so fully expect to be told to shut it, but I still can't get my head around how Bloomfield can be preferred to Saunders in attacking midfield. Sure, he runs about more, but with CMS as the central striker surely having someone with the vision and skill to play the through ball at just the right moment would offer so much more?

Because that's what Morris is in the team to do. Bloomfield offers endless running and commitment and he's probably the best we have got at that midfielder wise since O'nien left.

• Again yesterday Blooms had a couple of rasping drives and he is buzzing around winning second balls constantly. Adding his presence as Mr Wycombe and the goals he contributes it would be harsh to leave him out IMO. No doubt Super Sam is a good player but being able to bring him on after Blooms has run his socks off and tired his opposite number out is luxury! The way we were spreading the ball yesterday was a joy to behold. Can't wait for the extended highlights to come up...

• Going back to Tuesday, in the closing stages of the game, Blooms, having run his socks off for 90 minutes, made a lung-bursting run to chase a lost cause, kept the ball in play and we mounted an attack from it. I agree with @aloysius that Saunders is more creative, but if Morris can cover that side of things then no-one else can do what Bloomfield does as well as he does.

• Bloomfield was fantastic yesterday.

• @Jonny_King said:
    Blooms, having run his socks off for 90 minutes, made a lung-bursting run to chase a lost cause, kept the ball in play and we mounted an attack from it.

Watching it on a small screen, and expecting Kashket in that position, I actually said out loud to myself “Christ, look at Kashket go!” only to then realise it was Blooms, a man who’d been running his tits off for 88 or so minutes already. Incredible commitment. I think Blooms is getting better with age.

• I think the concencus is that Blooms is definitely in the team on merit.

• I wholeheartedly agree Doctor!

• edited August 2018

Bloomfield was unbelievably poor against Doncaster and Bristol Rovers, only then to be excellent at Plymouth and outstanding yesterday. It’s that inconsistency which is why I think he divides opinion so much.

We played some great stuff against Bradford and we’d be mad to change it. That said I think Williams’ performances have dipped the past two games since we changed our style of play and a fit again Kashket is a nice option to think about.

• I don't agree that Williams' performances have dropped to any significant degree in the last two matches. I think it's more a case that most of the other team members have upped their game considerably, so Williams' performance hasn't stood out as being above the rest.

• As I say, I've missed the two away matches this week so happy to go with the wisdom of the crowds on this one. But I still think that if we've switched to a system of playing it on the ground (something I'm delighted to hear and look forward to witnessing next weekend) I can't see why we wouldn't then play our most skilful midfielder. And I'd also gently point out that everyone on here said that El-Adb was undroppable - until he was injured, replaced by probably our fourth or fifth choice centreback, and all of a sudden everyone's view is that our defence has improved as a result. Who'd be a manager, eh?!

• I’d have dropped El-Abd. Not for Jombati admittedly. And at least @Right_in_the_Middle was of the same opinion. Not because of El-Abd’s performances but because I didn’t think he was one of our best two centre backs.

• If we're going to play 5 at the back we definitely need to get some defensive reinforcements in.