Skip to content

Match day thread: Bristol Rovers

Comments

• Yep looks like he’s down there.

• miles off the pace, Bayo borderline embarrassing as last week at doncaster.

• It’s all about opinions and some people are much too hasty in making decisions about players. As someone pointed out, El Abd took time to settle in but he went on to become our best defender. No one is claiming that Thompson is the new Steven Gerrard but he’s a useful player to have in the squad.
    No one covered themselves in glory on Saturday and picking a MOM was a difficult task. Thompson did make an error that led to a goal but he wasn’t the only one.

• He’s down there according to Bayo social media.

• Yep looks like he’s down there.

• Poor Bryn Morris - no-one is even mentioning him! I expect him to be very important in this first half of the season, and definitely agree with @Wendoverman (despite him knowing nothing about football) as to the importance of Saunders and Gape also.

• Poor Bryn Morris - no-one is even mentioning him! I expect him to be very important in this first half of the season, and definitely agree with @Wendoverman (despite him knowing nothing about football) as to the importance of Saunders and Gape also.

• I love Ainsworth, but the game was clearly lost by the selection today.

There is no creativity in a midfield of Gape, Bloomfield, and Thompson. When you're playing CMS and Akinfenwa as 2/3 up top there is very little pace too, and very little to target (apart from a misfiring Bayo). CMS may as well have not played today. As a result, we did absolutely nothing for 65 minutes until Kashket came on, and perked up even more when Saunders and Freeman came on.

All three of the above should have started, and it is no coincidence that we started playing well when they came on. I said it as soon as I saw the team, and it went exactly as expected. Gareth made the subs too late too. You could see exactly what was going wrong after 20 minutes, and nothing changed in the 45 minutes after that. Why wait that long to make subs? If its going wrong, change it straight away rather than waiting for a 60min+ time surely?

Back to team selection, I would much prefer Stewart at CB with McCarthy at RB. Harriman and JJ aren't good enough fullbacks at this level. Both were very poor today, especially JJ. However, there are also lots of positives and I'm not overly disheartened. I think the strongest XI - Kashket very much in it - have more than enough quality to stay up in this league. We just need to play them.

There is no creativity in a midfield of Gape, Bloomfield, and Thompson. When you're playing CMS and Akinfenwa as 2/3 up top there is very little pace too, and very little to target (apart from a misfiring Bayo). CMS may as well have not played today. As a result, we did absolutely nothing for 65 minutes until Kashket came on, and perked up even more when Saunders and Freeman came on.

All three of the above should have started, and it is no coincidence that we started playing well when they came on. I said it as soon as I saw the team, and it went exactly as expected. Gareth made the subs too late too. You could see exactly what was going wrong after 20 minutes, and nothing changed in the 45 minutes after that. Why wait that long to make subs? If its going wrong, change it straight away rather than waiting for a 60min+ time surely?

Back to team selection, I would much prefer Stewart at CB with McCarthy at RB. Harriman and JJ aren't good enough fullbacks at this level. Both were very poor today, especially JJ. However, there are also lots of positives and I'm not overly disheartened. I think the strongest XI - Kashket very much in it - have more than enough quality to stay up in this league. We just need to play them.

• I > @colonel_splaffy said:

How about
    Allsop
    McCarthy, Stewart, El Abd, JJ
    Harriman, Saunders, Gape, Freeman
    Bayo, Williams

With Kashket to come on later because he said he isn't yet match fit in his interview. Didn't Harriman used to be great in midfield and get goals? We only started playing him in defence because as much as we love Sido he can be a bit of a liability sometimes. I thought he much preferred it to. Now we have McCarthy time for Harriman back in midfield. This feels like it makes more sense than the weird 4 man midfield against Doncaster.

I would love to see that team

• @colonel_splaffy said:
    How about
    Allsop
    Bayo, Williams

With Kashket to come on later because he said he isn't yet match fit in his interview. Didn't Harriman used to be great in midfield and get goals? We only started playing him in defence because as much as we love Sido he can be a bit of a liability sometimes. I thought he much preferred it to. Now we have McCarthy time for Harriman back in midfield. This feels like it makes more sense than the weird 4 man midfield against Doncaster.

I would love to see that team!

• Interesting to note that we've only scored 1 goal down the away end in our last 12 home games in all competitions (including friendlies). Quite a statistical oddity!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • i think we are playing well no changed needed .

• we need to replace O'Nien asap

• we need to replace onien asap > @Jonny_King said:

Well said Dev. I have every confidence we will get it right, but the last thing we need now is for us as fans to fail to do our bit when the club needs us. Clearly there are some among our support who at best will throw the towel in at the first sign of trouble and at worst become abusive and turn on the players/manager etc. We need to drown those idiots out before they potentially have a negative impact.

So your calling other fans of the club idiots nice that will really help wont it.

• I > @colonel_splaffy said:

How about
    Allsop
    Bayo, Williams

I would love to see that team

• we need to replace onien asap > @Jonny_King said:

Well said Dev. I have every confidence we will get it right, but the last thing we need now is for us as fans to fail to do our bit when the club needs us. Clearly there are some among our support who at best will throw the towel in at the first sign of trouble and at worst become abusive and turn on the players/manager etc. We need to drown those idiots out before they potentially have a negative impact.

So your calling other fans of the club idiots nice that will really help wont it.

• @colonel_splaffy said:
    How about
    Allsop
    Bayo, Williams

I would love to see that team!

• Interesting to note that we've only scored 1 goal down the away end in our last 12 home games in all competitions (including friendlies). Quite a statistical oddity!

• i feel we need to rest bayo....we look very 1 dimensional at the moment

• i feel we need to rest bayo....we look to