Skip to content

Sacred cows?

Two, maybe 3, starting players are looking like sacred cows to me. I love Bayo and Blooms but if you don’t deliver and there are alternatives I’m afraid you need to be dropped. With Bayo this is not a knee jerk reaction as his form at the end of last season was as poor as it is now in front of goal.

Comments

• No doubt Bayo needs to start scoring soon, the problem is dropping him means rethinking our whole tactical approach.

If we’re only going to play three in midfield two of them can’t be Bloomfield, Bean or Thompson.

• I don't recall this poor form from Bayo a couple of people have talked about, as he missed the last 4-5 games injured didn't he?

@floyd has it spot on with the midfield. Those 3 players have to support Gape and Saunders who are our top midfielders by a mile.

• No issues from me with Bayo’s performance today. Signs of him getting back towards his normal self following his customary sluggish start to the season.

My bigger issue is how he’s used. The constant tonking it his way from 50 odd yards isn’t going to work in this division.

• Bayo, JJ, Blooms not good enough at this level. You need pace to survive in Div1

• It's still too early to make too many general statements I think.

Let's see what a few more of the teams are like first.
    Plymouth, same record as us, and Bradford, 1 win, 2 losses, up next.

• Agree with Malone. Let's get a better idea of the division before writing particular players off, almost all of whom have played at this level before anyway. Plenty of teams have had a similar start to us and only 6/7 who you'd say have had particularly good starts.

• Bayo looked better this game...although rovers defence was excellent I thought. Early days. Pre-season it was Gareth is going to lose all the best players now it's these players aren't good enough! You got to love football. Bloomfield is a decent sub but to start ahead of Saunders? Unless there is an injury issue not sure of the wisdom in that but hey...im not a football manager.

• To be honest I didn’t think their defence had to get out of first gear for 80 minutes. I think it was their number 16 dealing with the long ball almost every time.

The Rovers number 9 Payne looked very good too. A player that would fit perfectly in our current set up.

• edited August 2018

That 16 Broadbent is an interesting character.
    Bristol Rovers fan at work tells me he was in the army serving in places like Afghanistan, and did an article saying playing a bit of football is no pressure, sitting in a tank with bombs going off above your head is pressure!

• I agree. Am I the only one who thinks Bayo seams out of his debth at this level. He looked totally lost in the first half. Don't get me wrong I love the guy BUT I can't understand why CMS was substituted instead of Bayo.

• I agree. Am I the only one who thinks Bayo seams out of his debth at this level. He looked totally lost in the first half. Don't get me wrong I love the guy BUT I can't understand why CMS was substituted

• I agree. Am I the only one who thinks Bayo seams out of his debth at this level. He looked totally lost in the first half. Don't get me wrong I love the guy BUT I can't understand why CMS was substituted

• I agree with those posters who’ve urged others to calm down and not jump to conclusions so early in the season. Disappointing as yesterday was, the Bristol Rovers chairman said afterwards that when they were promoted to League One it took them a few weeks to adjust to the higher standards required. There’s no need to panic and start writing certain players off at this stage.

• I agree with those posters who’ve urged others to calm down and not jump to conclusions so early in the season. Disappointing as yesterday was, the Bristol Rovers chairman said afterwards that when they were promoted to League One it took them a few weeks to adjust to the higher standards required. There’s no need to panic and start writing certain players off at this stage.

• I think we could just as easily be sitting on 5 points as 1. Bemoaning things is a bit pointless, though. I do think you can do well in L2 with a blunt instrument, whereas more guile is needed at this level as a complimentary element. I expect Saunders, PCH and Kashket to be vital, injuries allowing, and I would love to see a game or two with Tyson (once healthy) and Freeman starting together, running at teams. Bayo will start putting some of these headers on target, but I do think some rotation will still be needed for him.

• I think we could just as easily be sitting on 5 points as 1. Bemoaning things is a bit pointless, though. I do think you can do well in L2 with a blunt instrument, whereas more guile is needed at this level as a complimentary element. I expect Saunders, PCH and Kashket to be vital, injuries allowing, and I would love to see a game or two with Tyson (once healthy) and Freeman starting together, running at teams. Bayo will start putting some of these headers on target, but I do think we need rotation with him this season.

• I think we could just as easily be sitting on 5 points as 1. Bemoaning things is a bit pointless, though. I do think you can do well in L2 with a blunt instrument, whereas more guile is needed at this level as a complimentary element. I expect Saunders, PCH and Kashket to be vital, injuries allowing, and I would love to see a game or two with Tyson (once healthy) and Freeman starting together, running at teams. Bayo will start putting some of these headers on target, but I do think we need some rotation at his position.