Skip to content

A local FA Cup-tie this Friday

Last year Flackwell Heath played Burnham on a Friday night in the FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round and got a very good crowd to Wilks Park.

This Friday (10th) Winslow United take on Easington Sports in the same competition at Winslow (k.o. 7.45pm). So if you fancy a starter before the main course at the Keepmoat on Saturday then Winslow is the place to head for this Friday!

Comments

• edited August 2018

It's good to see Winslow United and the other teams entering the FA Cup for the first time this season getting some acknowledgement and publicity on the FA website: http://www.thefa.com/news/2018/aug/07/fa-cup-debutants-2018-19-070818

It's a small gesture, but I expect those associated with the clubs will be proud to see their names and a bit of information about them appearing in an article on a globally-read website, not just as a name on a fixture list. It may even encourage a few more to go along.

• A bit of trivia ?
    Who was the player we signed from Winslow United ??

• The answer was Graham Freshwater, we signed him from Winslow after we narrowly defeated them in the B&B tie in the 19888/89 season. Never made a first team appearence, but made a number of reserve appearences for the Capital lge side.

• Thanks for that @ChasHarps. I'm going to the game tomorrow night, I'd forgotten we played them. I had to look the game up on the archive site, John Kerr and Westy with the winner a minute from the end of extra time, in front of 556. Winslow's local paper: "Skipper Graham Freshwater was a tower of strength in defence and stopped everything Wycombe could throw at him."

In the next round we infamously lost 5-0 at Marlow, managed by Mike Keen, in front of 1502. Fielding almost our full youth team, I remembered feeling angry on the night for us disrespecting the competition and Marlow.

• That was a thoroughly embarrassing night, it could have been a lot worse than five. The Youth team were very average inexpeirenced local players, whilst Marlow were a team made up of expeirenced and half decent local players that had done the rounds in the non league game.
    I can remember being told the committee were not happy at Kelman's team selection, whom in turn im told questioned the standard of players that had been recruited by Alan Hutchinson for the youth team.
    I was equally angry and embarrased as Marlow supporters were ridiculing the Wanderers fans at Oak Tree road that night.

• It was really embarrassing. I remember Lawrence Osborne, who was quality at our level, but injury prone, been given a run out. I bet he wondered why he had joined.

• John kerr's American mate Mike Brady up front,he looked and played like Leo Sayer !!

• The other 'senior' player that night was reserve keeper Steve Crompton, had a complete mare.

• Half-time: Winslow Utd 1 Easington Sports 1. Good entertainment on a Friday night as both teams take their bow in the FA Cup.

Easington started the game as if their lives depended on it and should have taken the lead except for some last-ditch defending by Winslow. The home side gradually got a foothold in the game and took the lead on 41 minutes with a lovely headed goal on the far post.

Within 3 minutes Easington equalised with a header from a free-kick. A draw at the moment is probably a fair reflection of the game.

One of the most significant features of the night is the crowd. Winslow normally attract around 70 spectators. This evening 330 people have turned up. It just proves you have to play football when the paying fans want to watch it. Food for thought.

• Full-time: Winslow 2 Easington 2. A good game ended up with a replay in Banbury next Tuesday. A second goal by Winslow’s Tommy Mooney-lookalike in the 67th minute seemed to have sealed the game for the home side but an unfortunate own goal 10 minutes from the end saw the visitors claim an unlikely draw. So Reading City or Chipping Sodbury Town will have to wait until next week to see who they visit on August 25th.

• Did Reading City used to be Highmoor Ibis?

• They did @floyd, changed in the summer. Ryan Freshwater, who I think is the son of Graham, was CB for Winslow tonight, tidy game.

• @A_Worboys said:
    Full-time: Winslow 2 Easington 2. A good game ended up with a replay in Banbury next Tuesday. A second goal by Winslow’s Tommy Mooney-lookalike in the 67th minute seemed to have sealed the game for the home side but an unfortunate own goal 10 minutes from the end saw the visitors claim an unlikely draw. So Reading City or Chipping Sodbury Town will have to wait until next week to see who they visit on August 25th.

Very unfortunate own goal to concede by Winslow from a drilled cross/shot in from the right and they could have suffered a worse fate soon after with easington pressing and Winslow clearing off the line desperately.really enjoyable night and exciting football partIculary in the second half-Winslow’s second goal a well struck volley.

The first half dominated by two big target men as one might expect at the level with both goals off the head from corners but well finished.

• Local FA cup ties today at Holmer Green and Flackwell

• The game at Winslow was excellent, following dissapointment at Doncaster, I'm off to Southall v Leverstock Green, played at Ashford Town