Skip to content

Gape to Peterborough?

Anyone else hear this today?

I'm hoping it's bollocks

Comments

• I heard a rumour of a big bust up between GA and the board over O’Nien. I can’t imagine that this would impress him much either!

• That really would be shot news if true

• Marlow chair was saying something about a major sale, which got trampled down as an "Ownership sale".

Has there been any word on where Gape was?

Ridiculously, i'd actually forgotten him, in agreein with a pal we had a 19man squad.
    How could I forget such a key man, doh.

Bloomy and Bean, good servants and all that, but we can't afford them starting together too often.

• Gape was there today apparently...if that makes any difference...
    "injured"

• Social media is a wonderful thing.....

• What do you mean?

• I saw Gape there today and also heard the rumour from someone employed by the club.

• @Vincey said:
    I heard a rumour of a big bust up between GA and the board over O’Nien. I can’t imagine that this would impress him much either!

If there was a bust up, I suspect it would be regarding the amount of money (If any) Gareth would be given from the Luke transfer. If O'Nien wanted to go, we couldn't really stand in his way and keep a dissatisfied player.

• @mooneyman said:

@Vincey said:
    I heard a rumour of a big bust up between GA and the board over O’Nien. I can’t imagine that this would impress him much either!

If there was a bust up, I suspect it would be regarding the amount of money (If any) Gareth would be given from the Luke transfer. If O'Nien wanted to go, we couldn't really stand in his way and keep a dissatisfied player.

The impression I got was that it was more to do with selling such a key player. 380k is the fee I’m told which is disappointingly low and you really wonder what the finances must be like at the moment if we are accepting mediocre offers like that.

• I heard gape was struggling from a knock from pre season

• There is a typically excellent @bluntphil interview with GA (link below) in which a lot of rumours/questions are potentially dealt with...

https://philcatchpole.com/2018/08/04/wycombe-wanderers-1-1-blackpool/

• In a previous interview, Phil asked if the Luke money would be available to strengthen the squad. Gareth's reply implied that only the wage would be freed up to use, not the transfer fee.

Add to that the Trust reporting that the short term cash position in June and July was 'challenging', with discussions taking place with potential lenders, and you can put two and two together.

• And I hope I’m not being gullible when I say that GA’s remarks about Gape and Kashket only narrowly failing pre match fitness tests and being likely to be available for next Saturday’s match should at least quash any rumours about Gape going to Peterborough. Don’t reckon Kashket’s going anywhere, anyway!

• Please see Radio Coverage and Blog thread.

• Sorry I meant the matchday thread.

• This thread shows the worst of social media. Some guy with a grudge makes up stuff about GA/ board bust ups and size of LON transfer fee and before long it is echoed back as a rumour and soon it will be a "fact". On one level amusing but on another level on more important issues very dangerous for the world.

Re young Mr Gape, he has one year left on his contract. IF has made it clear he will not sign a new one and IF a six figure offer came in, harsh reality is that club would have to consider it seriously. It's the reality of the size of the club. And if he went, well we'd just have to replace him just as we have with the Scowen's and Ingram's and Pierre's etc etc. Life would go on. In GA we trust.

• Interesting that you've given a value there when we are never told what the fee is

Is basically what you're saying is that we can never know whether it's a good deal for the club or not?

• @Ned_Ludd said:
    There is a typically excellent @bluntphil interview with GA (link below) in which a lot of rumours/questions are potentially dealt with...

https://philcatchpole.com/2018/08/04/wycombe-wanderers-1-1-blackpool/

Thanks for posting. Very reassured that we are looking at bringing in 4 new faces before end of August

• If I understand you correctly Eric, you have moved the conversation on to should transfer fees be disclosed. Quite a leap.

In answer to your question, I have a marginal preference for disclosure but not a strong one tbh.

To make an informed judgement, I would need all sorts of info from add-ons, players salary, market rates, clubs cash flow, any personal issues, how much does player want to go, prospects of him signing a new contract, effect on dressing room either way etc etc.

I can also see commercial interest in say Peterborough interested in Gape being left guessing what WWFC were prepared to settle for for ONien.

I guess I have to trust the board armed with all the info to make a sensible decision while curiosity would prefer to know the headline figure.

• Dev if people were being told by employees of the club yesterday that Gape was about to sign for Peterborough then it's a little more than message board rumour. As for Gareth assuring us it's just a knock - even his biggest admirers will surely accept he can on occasions be disingenuous about the fitness levels of squad of members. So let's just see how this plays out over the next week before rushing to judgement, eh?

• I have made no comment on whether Gape is about to be sold, Aloysius. How would I possibly know. Given that he is a promising young player with only a year left on his contract, it strikes me as a realistic possibility.

• Guys, I can assure you that Gape is genuinely injured but it’s not serious and he was close to playing yesterday.

• @glasshalffull said:
    Guys, I can assure you that Gape is genuinely injured but it’s not serious and he was close to playing yesterday.

I don't doubt that he is genuinely injured.

But there's no smoke without fire and given that this has come from multiple sources it's hard to believe that there isn't anything in it. Posh sold Anthony Grant on Friday who plays in the same position as Gape, it's quite plausible that Gape is of interest to them.

Let's hope he doesn't go and we keep him until at least January before cashing in if we have to.

• Could have used his running into the box hitting one end of last season-esque stylee yesterday.

• You’re spot on StrongestTeam. The phrase ‘I heard a rumour that......’ usually means nothing. There were no rumours about Luke leaving before it actually happened.
    Having said that, a club in our financial position is always going to be vulnerable to offers for our better players and we aren’t really in a position to say no.

• @glasshalffull said:
    You’re spot on StrongestTeam. The phrase ‘I heard a rumour that......’ usually means nothing. There were no rumours about Luke leaving before it actually happened.
    Having said that, a club in our financial position is always going to be vulnerable to offers for our better players and we aren’t really in a position to say no.

There was plenty of O'nien rumours in the weeks leading up to his departure, Doncaster, Scunthorpe, Luton and Oxford all interested according to a former Sky Sports journalist.

• I read on the EFL site that the 09 fee was 600k!

• @bigred87 said:
    I read on the EFL site that the 09 fee was 600k!

That's not an official EFL site.

• @Vincey said:

@bigred87 said:
    I read on the EFL site that the 09 fee was 600k!

That's not an official EFL site.

Oh i see i did think that was a lot.....