Skip to content

transfer speculation....

Comments

• Thought we were playing Maidenhead?

• mybad...regardless they are both crap!

• Nicely taken goal by them early,we look a little slow at the back and they’ve had all the chances so far with 2 good chances additional to the goal

• More than slightly worried about our midfield for league 1, sincerely hope we sign at least 1 LON replacement or the season could be a damp squib

• if we don't bottom 4 is a definite not a possibility.

• We will still beat your lot Richie.

• Call me what all tne namrs you like but if we lose every game we will be relegated.

• Of course that should read 'call me all the names you want, but if we lose every game we will be relegated. Thems the facts.

• With our modest budget and small squad my aspirations for this season is to find four clubs worse than us. Thats not a doom and gloom outlook I think its quite a pragmatic one. Get a second season in L1 and we can build. You've only got to look at some of the signings in our league to realise we are very much the minnows at this level. Fans need to create a siege mentality, be realistic and not start over-reacting when we are not having the same season that we had last year.

• @Wendoverman said:
    ....but if we lose every game we will be relegated. Thems the facts.

This pessimism really pisses me off. Even if we do lose every game I’m confident Oxford will go bust, AFC Wimbledon will invade Milton Keynes and volunteer to take their rightful place in League 2, Joey Barton will take Fleetwood into an alternative universe and DDH will cause a sinkhole that swallows up the whole of Luton.

Keep the faith

• edited July 2018

O Nien or not, league 1 still remains league 1. It's not some emporium of class, that we're going to be swept aside by.
    There might not be the really crap teams from league 2, but there will be plenty we can compete quite equally with, on the pitch at least.

• Right now Malone you would surely take 20th on goal difference would you not?

• @bookertease you've renewed my optimism.

• Much will depend on the business that we can do in the loan market, and whether we will be able to keep the loanees if they do well - remember the likes of Paul Hayes (the first time) getting recalled because he did too well (then being unused at Charlton), and Marcelo Trotta (going on loan to another club where he got no playing time).

Them's the breaks though.

• Only just realised that the transfer window closes early this year, thought that started next year.

PANIC

• Yep. Clubs outside the top flight will still be able to sign unregistered players and loanees until 31 August.

• on a serious note, what does everyone think to our transfer activity so far? for me , better squad last year .

• Can't tell the strength of our squad until September surely. Transfer activity not yet concluded & GA has already stated that he is looking/hoping to bring in a couple of loanees. Until that point, it's very hard to judge.

• @Wwfc2015_ my view is...some people will agree with you, some people won't be sure and some people just had a vein explode in their head. You'll be hearing from them shortly.

• Stronger goalkeeping and central defensive options.
    Weaker midfield
    Depending on extent of injuries to Kashket, Tyson and the Beast striking options probably weaker. Alleviated to a degree by the loan signing of Randell Williams.

• could be back to the don't concede many...don't score enough years...!
    CMS, Randell, Paris and Freeman...step up and don;t get injured!!

• This will be Nick Freeman's breakthrough year.

You're welcome.

• If two or three more signings materialise then I think we may be OK. If not, regardless of quality, the squad that is currently signed up is not large enough to cope with injuries and suspensions, we'll rarely be able to name a full complement of substitutes on match days, and there's a risk that those who have to play every single match will become fatigued and their performance impacted.

I agree with @EwanHoosaami that we won't know what the full strength of the squad is for another month yet, but there's a tough period of at least six, possibly seven, matches between now and then. Six or seven matches in under four weeks, when we have players already injured, is going to be a real test for the current squad. In my opinion, we need additional players available sooner rather than later.

Regardless of any other signings, I also think Gareth Ainsworth should considering registering as a player again this season and taking part in the EFL Trophy matches, so as to give one of our regular players a rest and not risk getting them injured in that competition. Not sure how many of the "first team" are required to appear in each match this season, but perhaps he could sign some of his Sunday League acquaintances on pay-as-you-play contracts so that they can turn out for us in that competition too.

• My early doors star of the season is.....

CMS

An injury free spell. A full pre season. Playing at a level he’s used to. One of the most intelligent players to grace althe quarters for years.

• Uncle T, please reassure me that your suggestion that GA should register as a player along with his ‘Sunday League acquaintances’ is an attempt to be light hearted.
    As John McEnroe might say ‘you cannot be serious’!

• Volunteers requested from the Gasroom? Even players of walking football welcome?

• @Uncle_T raises a good point about the FLT. Surely this is the season to (heroically) withdraw from the competition. I'm sure enough of us would kick in to cover the fine.

If thats not an option we should field some competition winners to get us through the group games.

• Bodger could be understudy to Bayo.

• I would love to agree with @TheAndyGrahamFanClub on the basis that I actually do. On the basis of my prediction record however (I confidently predicted Dayle Southwell would be top scorer last year) I will confidently assert that Scott Kashket will be back by mid-October and tear League 1 defences apart