Skip to content

O'Nien off?

Comments

• A week til the first game, a month til the end of the transfer window. Teams such as Chelsea are now starting to ship out their usual 40 players on loan. We are down the pecking order but we will add I have no doubt.
    GA had proved he does his homework and I have confidence he will do it again.
    The squad already has a spine of quality and good character. Reason to be positive not gloom and doom.

• Fee is much less than I first reported sadly,much less.confirmed here tonight.Gaz and players faces like they dropped a fiver and found a quid.board is a dirty word at present on Marlow Rd.

You’re committed to your art, I’ll give you that.

• One of the things I will miss, will be seeing LO'N smashing into an opposition player and smiling at the same time. A big loss, however as GA often says, see the positives. Cash in the bank, another rough diamond three parts polished and one more player added to a growing list, that has used the club to springboard their development. This makes it easier to sell the club to other premier/championship cast offs and development players.

• 380k is nothing like the fee thats fact, I would be shocked if its over 150k and we are now bang in trouble and judging by the way were playing again this evening we will be in for a long season.

• @rmjlondon what would a fuckwit like you know about facts? #Ruth

• The fee is undisclosed but whatever it is, is it being used to repay the loans of those who have sold him? I doubt it but would like to know how much said loans are thought to be. The club needs money and is cashing in on a prized asset before that prized asset can move for free at the end of the season. Nothing wrong with that and I would like to think that we will be doing exactly the same thing at the beginning of next season. Just need to identify & sign the next 'Luke' and enjoy his play for as long as we have him. Good luck, Luke and thanks for the memories.

• not looking positive at the mo....losing our best player, losing against non lewgue teams, midfield looks week....lets hope for signimgs this week...and signings that will improve us

• Such doom and gloom in Gape and Saunders we have two terrific central midfielders and then add Bloomfield and Bean in the mix and you have some really good options. Depending on the formation Freeman. Tyson, PCH, Williams can also play a role in midfield. Luke is a loss no doubt but people are describing Armageddon on here.

• @eric_plant excellent

• As in may

• Absolutely. Football never stops moving on. A much loved player goes but we move on - we have to. It’s not the first time and it won’t be the last.

Maybe it’ll open a door for the likes of Nick Freeman or Curtis Thompson or some other player we haven’t yet viewed.

• edited July 2018

Top guy, and super influential player. Arguably only the Beast going would be as big a blow, but as O Nien is so young, and felt "One of ours" it's a greater loss.

Can't blame him for even a second. He could well have trebled his wages, and is joining a colossus of a club that could well give him a passage to the championship in quick smart time, or to a better club.

Such a shame to happen so close to the start of the season. Trying to remember the last time we lost such a key player so close to the start of the season, Mickey Bell maybe? I know Beavon at least started a season before being "Ill" and leaving.

Where it leaves us is an interesting one.
    O Nien could do a bit of everything, a lot stronger than a lot would give him credit for, excellent in the air and tackle, gets around and scores goals with great stamina.

Saunders and Gape are good, but neither can do all of the above. Bean, Bloomfield and Thompson have the chance to step up and claim the third spot now, but we'll have to play a bit differently to say the least.

• Yes Luke going may ultimately lead to a change in formation.

Not straight away I wouldn’t imagine as Gareth will almost certainly (and rightly) stick with what’s got us where we are. But Luke’s non-stop industry has been a huge part of making our 4-3-3 work, particularly when pressing.

It may just be that it doesn’t really work without him, we’ll see.

• I wouldn't blame him if he had moved up. But he hasn't. He has moved down. For money. Scumbag. Wycombe up makems down. May Sunderland burn

• Big shoes to fill of course.

That said, I haven't watched the interview - but GA confirms we're looking to replace 09...

• @LX1 said:
    I wouldn't blame him if he had moved up. But he hasn't. He has moved down. For money. Scumbag. Wycombe up makems down. May Sunderland burn

How old are you ffs? Surely it's past your bedtime.

• LX1LX1
    edited July 2018

Nine

• @LX1 said:
    Nine

Looks like your age isn't much different from your IQ.

• Ah poor Gaz, he seems genuinely gutted

What a great bloke he is. Someone give the man a cuddle

• Good luck Luke thanks for your time with us. Wish u well

• He has every right to feel gutted.
    We've had excellent loanees like Mawson, who've gone onto wonders after us, but arguably O Nien is Gareth's biggest success story as such, taking a gamble on a player turning out in non league, polished him up, and turned him into serious profit.

• @Malone - to be fair he wasn't a non league player. He had just been released by a Premier League club namely Watford who thought very highly of him.

• Recalling Josh Scowen from Eastbourne and sticking him straight in the first team was an early success

I think his record in the transfer market generally has been outstanding. Jacobson, Pierre, Gape, O'Nien, Saunders, Akinfenwa, CMS, Tyson etc etc

He's proved time and again that he can bring quality into the club and I'd back him to do so again.

• True @mooneyman , but I can't see they thought highly of him if they released him! And he was going to have to make a go of it at non league before we came in.

We count Roger Johnson and Ibe as "Our" players, even though in reality Johnson had been at Portsmouth and Bournemouth, and Ibe at Charlton.

• This is what we will be missing (if the link works)

• I’m disappointed that I don’t think we’ve really strengthened so far also, but I have faith in GA to bring in some more decent loan signings.

And it’s all very well wanting to strengthen, but not sure where any pots of cash were going to come from to allow us to do that.

I believe we get slightly more of the Prem TV windfall payments being in the lofty heights of the third tier...but then presumably (at least some of) our players have an increased wage or bonus.

• edited July 2018

I generally always wish the best to all players moving on from us but i feel compelled to write a bit more at length following Luke's brilliant spell at our club coming to an end.

I remember very clearly Luke coming to the club on trial 3 years ago and a good friend of mine was a very close mate of Luke's who also used to play in the Wycombe academy before it was shut down. He still follows Wycombe closely now and was made up that Gareth had shown an interest in him after his release from Watford. Evidently Luke's attitude on the pre season trip to France made up Gareth's mind that he should be awarded a contract.

The only negative I ever heard about Luke was the level of his infectious energy insofar as people couldn't get him to rest and keep still, such was his enthusiasm for the game. For me that is still a positive trait and accordingly I recommended to my fellow Trust board directors at the time that WW Trust should sponsor Luke for his first season. For me, if the club's owners were to pick a player to sponsor, it should try to promote youth, hard work and progression. I am glad my fellow Directors agreed this was the best way to choose a player and for the next 3 years the Trust continued to sponsor Luke.

He really hit the ground running in the opening season and cemented his place in the team and midfield. As seen with his ball juggling skills amongst various other tricks, Luke loved a challenge and after I vowed to pay money into the WW Trust share scheme if he scored his first goal for the club against Northampton, he duly did so 4 minutes in that day, making me look a little silly!

His box to box energy, 100% commitment in the tackle and passion, mixed with no little skill saw him quickly cement his place into the side. Since then he has been a critical part of our team and he will be sorely missed. Who can forget his goals and assists, my personal highlight being the Colchester volley which was an absolute bullet and is one of the finest goals I have seen from a Wycombe player.

Disappointed to see such a talent leave our club but O'Nien absolutely deserves this chance. If he is given a fair opportunity I am sure he will take it and thrive.

He will rightly leave with the best wishes of all Wycombe fans, his 100% effort made him a fans favourite and he was also a very technically gifted player. Clearly he felt he had a point to prove after being released by Watford and for me his achievements for us more than prove to me he has made his point emphatically.

All the very best at Sunderland and you will rightly get a cheer from all Wycombe fans when we come head to head next season. Luke - you're a big part of why that is even happening.

GA now has a very difficult task to replace such a talent but who better to do so than the man that brought him to the club off the scrap heap in the first instance, as well as being the man who oversaw his immense progression with us.

• Absolute class post, @DJWYC14.

• Totally agree @Shev.

• Top post. My favourite player and his effect on the team was even greater than good not inconsiderate ability.

We really need to attempt to replace him, as imo he was our most important player, even including Bayo, when considering the replacement options.