Skip to content

O'Nien off?

Comments

• I've decided not to burn my ST as I am assuming Gaz has a contingency plan. Good Luck Luke...score lots of goals and have a bug when you play us...

• Its a time to be pragmatic. We got a diamond in the rough. We improved him. He gave everything whilst he was with us. He moves on for a tidy sum. There are other 09's out there and they will look at Wycombe and think its a good platform club. We are who we are financially and this model has to be made to work for us. Our place in the food chain is obvious to all so embrace it and enjoy the ride.

• Agreed @TheAndyGrahamFanClub frustrated young players and their representatives will look at the likes of Mawson, 09, Gape, Eze and see they will get a chance to play, improve and move on.
    I still have a good feeling about next season...

• It's unfortunately a fact of life that clubs like ours have to sell players to survive. Hopefully not all the money wiill be "trousered" by the club's four creditors and that Gareth will at least get a little to reinvest.

• Totally agree with the last two posts and delighted that the gas room puts things into a sensible perspective. Sadly, the same can’t be said of some of the usual suspects on the FB page including the poster who wrote ‘Now your can forget about us staying up’!

• A real shame. Thanks Luke and very best wishes for the future.

• Who are @marlowchair 's four creditors? And which one gets my £10?
    @glasshalffull @trevor predicted our relegation from the National League about 12 months ago. He could see the writing on the wall even then.

• thanks Luke...beem a brilliant player for us...could not turm down playing infront of 25k fans each week

• Good luck Luke. Always gave your best.

• Only been to the (embarrassingly named) Stadium of Light once for the England v Turkey match shortly after those two Leeds lads got stabbed in Istanbul. Pre match was bathed in an atmosphere of violence, as Mackem fought Geordie in the streets egged on by the local police.

Let's beat these

• @Wwfc2015_ said:
    thanks Luke...beem a brilliant player for us...could not turm down playing infront of 25k fans each week

Probably be even bigger crowds than that. They averaged 27,600 last season despite getting beaten nearly every week, success this season will bring even more.

• Great signing for Sunderland.

We have to replace him and sharp, we needed another starting level CM anyway, and now we need 2 imo. Bean/ Bloomfield starting in league 1 = relegation.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub said:
    Its a time to be pragmatic. We got a diamond in the rough. We improved him. He gave everything whilst he was with us. He moves on for a tidy sum. There are other 09's out there and they will look at Wycombe and think its a good platform club. We are who we are financially and this model has to be made to work for us. Our place in the food chain is obvious to all so embrace it and enjoy the ride.

Finally, a fan speaking some sense...

He was realeased by Watford and was trying to get a gig at Wealdstone, we took a chance, it worked, we’ve allegedly made £380k on a player that cost us absolutely nothing (remember that!) & for 2 of his years with us he’d have been on peanuts compared to his new contract he signed with us. That’s a solid 3 year investment if you ask me!!

All the best Luke. A better work ethic in the Wycombe squad in the last 3 years I have not seen!! Go get em kid!

• It’s been a pleasure to watch O’Nien’s development while at Wycombe, and his high energy, high quality contributions have been a big part of our recent success. He’ll be a hard one to replace, but I’m sure Ainsworth has some loanees lined up. And it’s an opportunity for Gape to make himself our number one midfielder this season.

• Randell Williams has returned on loan..

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This may delay promotion until after Easter

• The farewell video on Twitter highlighted (to me at least) how many goals he scored ghosting into the box and finishing. Lampardesque. If he gets the minutes at Sunderland I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting a lot of attention higher up the league.

• I had momentarily forgotten Sunderland were in L1 this year, which makes it slightly (only slightly) harder to swallow. But at least he's not off to Oxford etc. He's always seemed like exactly the sort of player we should be proud to have in the quarters, and he's certainly earned his move.

As others have said, there's no way we can turn down substantial offers for players in the last year of their contract. Hopefully at least some of it can be used for player investment, but i doubt very much whether Sunderland have written us a cheque for 380K.

Williams returning suggests Kashket's injury is as bad as we feared.

• Brief caveat to my best wishes. If he had joined footballing super brain in Bedfordshire I would have been pissed

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub - If he had gone to Luton though, Richie could have given us a weekly report on his progress.

• @TheAndyGrahamFanClub he's a Watford boy

The one club he was never going to go to was racist Danny Hylton's EDL Town

• @floyd said:
    @marlowchair really belongs in the same category as our other friends who claim to have insider knowledge. His grammar and spelling might be a bit better, but that's about it.

Your write I woz wrong

Fee is much less than I first reported sadly,much less.confirmed here tonight.Gaz and players faces like they dropped a fiver and found a quid.board is a dirty word at present on Marlow Rd.

• Last time we got promoted we went straight back down because we did not strengthen the squad . This time it is looking even worse . If Saunders gets injured (which he will) we have no creativity in the center of the park and we have currently have a weaker team than last year . Very worried indeed .

• Good luck to the lad. A big loss just before we start the season.

Odds on the drone army singing their ‘I wanna know why you’re such a c***’ song at him?

• As others have said so glad he hasn’t joined Luton or poxford he deserved better . The positives are we are making money on rejects you could argue it’s makes more sense then having a youth team considering the running costs.

• @OX66 said:
    As others have said so glad he hasn’t joined Luton or poxford he deserved better . The positives are we are making money on rejects you could argue it’s makes more sense then having a youth team considering the running costs.

The best point made on the subject

• Plus potential sell on fees

• Ultimately, there are few teams in the world that do not have to be selling clubs, especially with the added leverage of the player entering the last year of their contract. My hope is that we can be a kind of lower league Southampton (though I understand their successful model may change soon), where we actually make a name for being a place young players can develop, side by side with experienced heads like CMS and Tyson.

For me, the saddest thing is that feeling of "things will never be the same again" that always happens in football, but rarely at the end of such a magical season. After Bayo, it looked like 09 was the next most significant source of team spirit, from an outsider's perspective, and there will not just be someone missing on the pitch, but off the pitch, and in the very personality projected by the club.

All the best, Luke!