Skip to content

Pre season friendlies

Comments

• @Wwfc2015_ said:
    2 nil down now....jeez and i was optimistic about the season!

You rise like a bad smell from the sewer as soon as you can post something negative. Why bother, you must live a most miserable existence?

• Both penalties. One from contact at a corner, which sounds very ominous. We seem to have had the better of the exchanges apart from that. But as long as no one gets hurt, who cares!

• Friendlies are a mere fitness exercise.
    Most of us recognised that, but a few don't.

• It will be interesting to see how officials look at corners now post World Cup. The increasing physical contact at set pieces has put officials in a difficult position now and in games without VAR we will see how many penalties get awarded.

• Rest assured that when they fall off trying to hold Bayo down it won’t be a penalty

• Just for some context, Bradford are currently losing 6-1 to Harrogate.

• Gareth has got to go or we are doomed!

• @EwanHoosaami said:

@Wwfc2015_ said:
    2 nil down now....jeez and i was optimistic about the season!

You rise like a bad smell from the sewer as soon as you can post something negative. Why bother, you must live a most miserable existence?

im sorry i must not post just in case i offend poor little people like you #growupyoutroll

• Derby County lost to Mansfield the other night. LAMPARD OUT!!!

• The only performance I’m gonna criticise is that of their commentary team. The old boy wasn’t so bad but the young lad was awful! Good luck to H&W for the forthcoming season.

• Has there really been an increase in physical contact at corners? I think it's the same as it's always been, there's just more scrutiny of it now

• While I totally get that these friendlies are little more than a kick about, it is interesting that we haven't scored in all 270 minutes so far. I'm wondering if we might need another creative midfielder in the mix. I really rated Chris Regis in the 45 mins he played against West Ham, think it's a shame we didn't keep him on the books. Hopefully we'll be looking for another Eze in the loan market - I'm not sure we'll be able to rely on Sam Saunders every match this season.

• Last season we drew 0-0 with Slough, lost 1-0 to Maidenhead and drew with Aldershot. Friendlies have never been a good indicator of how the competitive season is going to go.

• I'm hoping the Bayo substitution 'for a knock' is just the usual pre-season caution, and nothing more serious.

• (Not aimed at you specifically @aloysius, just a general point.)

• Thanks @StrongestTeam for the link, amateurish podcast though it was. I agree with @aloysius about the lack of goals, especially with the amount of corners we had today. @Jonny_King et al are quite right that preseason matches are no indication of competitive form but it would be good to get some goals to enter league 1 with and I hope it’s in the pipeline and the forward line will peak at just the right time. In Gaz we trust!

• @Jonny_King , the only indication seems to be the reverse. In that a poor set of friendly results often leads to a good proper campaign!

• On a side note, just looking through Twitter, why are Pompey fans so obsessed with us? I know they never get to play Southampton anymore, but still a bit weird to see fans of a team that were Premier League, FA Cup winners and competing in Europe a few seasons back reduced to banging on about Wycombe Wanderers losing a pre-season friendly to a local non league side. Funny lot.

• I don’t think Pompey fans are obsessed with us, there’s just more of them compared to other clubs in the league (Sunderland aside).

• And also H&W are local to them, it’s like them losing to Chesham. We’d probably wind them up for it.

• They really seem to dislike us looking at some of the things they're saying. Reminds of Exeter fans.

• They hate us cos they ain’t us.

• Couldn’t be at the game yesterday, two questions to those that were:

• Gaz said post match a couple of players were below par, who was he referring to?
    • Which two trialists played? Fox or the other CB and Adeloye?
      Good to hear some general impressions of the day as well.
  • Adeloye yes, Fox no. It was the other CB, Ben Frempah I believe. No one first half had a great game. 1st penalty a scuffle in the box from a corner, hard to tell but no massive complaints. 2nd pen 100% correct, el-Abd done for pace and hauled their striker down in the box. Stewart was playing right back and Sido centre back which didn't seem to give either the best chance to shine. Harsh to pick individual players out as below par but I'd say Bean, Sido and el-Abd were most noticeably off the pace.

2nd half we were better team but couldn't create too many chances, a couple of balls in the box just not falling where we needed them. Bad news was Bayo limping off with trouble to his ankle barely 10 mins into 2nd half. Led to a comical 5 mins where O'Nien played as the central 'target man' as Paris was still in the changing room finding his shirt.

Everyone got a run out and hopefully we'll score on Tuesday. Maybe we'll even see Darius Charles make an appearance...

• Thanks Croider, surprised about Fox, maybe QPR felt his performance vs Hammers good enough to put him in their first team squad.

• Why was Stewart playing at right back? He's always been a centre back so why change his position?

• My guess would be to assess how effective he’d be as cover in that position.

• @Chris seems pretty obvious doesn't it?

Good management by Gaz, in a match that means about as much as the squad going for a jog in the park

• We'll we have harriman and sido... No left back cover for jj have we? Why not try an alternative there?

• For me, worrying about what Wycombe's pre-season results mean for the upcoming season is marginally less absurd than worrying about what me getting Wycombe relegated on FIFA means for their upcoming season.