Skip to content

Pre season friendlies

I see Curtis Thompson has been given a squad number - 18 for today’s Hammers game. 5 other trialists naned: CB x 2, CM, LB, CF.

Comments

• Confirmed as signed Thompson

• Five month contract is ideal for both parties.

• Unfortunately the West Ham YouTube stream of today's game is complete garbage.

• 27 ‘trialist’ CB is very good - Charlie Fox, penned a pro contract at QPR in May, looks like a shoe in as a loan signing.
    24 LB is tiny weak and has no positional sense, looks out of his depth. Don’t think we’ll see him again, the search goes on for JJ’s understudy.

• We need a fox in the box!

• Well this fox certainly takes the biscuit

• Sounds like a good match all told. Was it on Chairboys Player @bluntphil ?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • El-Abd and Thompson, at RB, very good, O'Nien with some fierce tackling. The 26 was impressive, strong and mobile. We deserved at least a draw, their keeper made some good saves in the second half. An enjoyable game.

• Completely agree with fame43, saw exactly the same game. CMS was there in training kit and flip flops signing autographs, just not on the bench.
    We look good, bring on Tuesday.

• Charlie Fox (19) has just signed his first pro deal at QPR. Described as 'versatile' without giving any further details.

Kazaiah Sterling (19) has also just signed a new deal and is in Tottenham's U23 squad. Former England U18 international. Has had an impressive scoring record at pretty much every level he's played.

Amine Linganzi (28) is a free agent after rejecting a new deal at Swindon. Former Congo international and played a few games in the PL for Blackburn, but doesn't seem to have really settled anywhere. Sounds like injuries have stopped him reaching the heights he perhaps could have. Not a goalscorer.

I love pre-season!

• I'm afraid number 26 isn't Kazakhs Sterling, I was having a chat with him in the car park. His name is Tomi Adeloye, he was formerly with Hartlepool and had been on trial with Macclesfield.

• Kazaiah Sterling came on as a late substitute for Dele Alli in a Champions League match last December.

• @Bracknellblue said:
    I'm afraid number 26 isn't Kazakhs Sterling, I was having a chat with him in the car park. His name is Tomi Adeloye, he was formerly with Hartlepool and had been on trial with Macclesfield.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/tomi-adeloye/profil/spieler/317449

• 5 different clubs in 18 months. Clearly trying to challenge Jason Banton's record!

• Strange isn’t it because he looks so good. Either an attitude problem or an inability to follow instructions, or both? I remember Banton was uncoachable, literally bumping into his own team mates.

• Perhaps he needs the magic Ainsworth touch to revitalise his career.

• @fame_46 said:
    if we play like that week on week we should be fine in league 1.

I find this quite a bizarre statement. So we should be fine playing a load of unfamiliar faces in an unfamiliar system excluding a number of our key players who weren't involved at all? Surely this was just an early pre-season experiment predominantly to take a look at some triallists and an alternative system?

• edited July 2018

Yes @fame_46 don't let anything as bizarre as optimism creep in this early, you fool!

• I'm all for optimism @Wendoverman. Indeed, I'm very excited at the prospect of the new season myself. Look --> :smiley: I just found drawing such a conclusion after losing our first pre-season friendly 1-0 in a new system with a load of triallists in the team a little over the top. No?

• @YorkExile I suppose so....although it could also herald the beginning of a golden age of footballing genius at Adams Park!!

• I remember feeling very positive after we beat West Ham 3-1 in pre-season, just before the start of the 2003/04 season.......

• I could not make the game...how did Thompson do?

• I promise you all it is going to be a great season. I told my unborn daughter, due in two weeks, that she needs to be here August 4th if she wants to catch the Blackpool game on iFollow...my wife went into labour a few hours later (a state she is still in). That level of eagerness makes me think the baby knows something we don't!

• @Wendoverman said:
    I could not make the game...how did Thompson do?

OK, played right back second half against a pact winger and used his experience to just about keep him out. RB is his second position favouring right mid but looks good enough as cover to Harriman there. A tough little terrier who Gaz will like for that attitude and his guile. Five month contract either way to see how it works, prob good business both ways.

• Assuming we stick to a 532 and use Harriman and Thompson as right wingbacks, Freeman as left wingback (with JJ and Jombati adding to the wealth of options now in central defence) we really need to concentrate our search on an alternative left wingback and strengthening central midfield. The various triallists we saw on Saturday all played really well, other than the left wingback. It'll be interesting to see how many of them make it back for Brentford, after which I hope at least a couple of them may sign on for the season.

• Would Nathan Tyson not make a pretty good left wingback?

• @Shev said:
    I promise you all it is going to be a great season. I told my unborn daughter, due in two weeks, that she needs to be here August 4th if she wants to catch the Blackpool game on iFollow...my wife went into labour a few hours later (a state she is still in). That level of eagerness makes me think the baby knows something we don't!

Good luck. Hope it goes well for you all