Skip to content

Historical Statistics: Points Required For Title, Automatic Promotion & Play-Offs

Statistics for the 4th tier of English football for the last 20 seasons.

Points that won the title:

Average - 89
Most - 102
Least - 83

Points required for automatic promotion:

Average - 81
Most - 88
Least - 75

Points required for play-offs:

Average - 71
Most - 78
Least - 65

Comments

• Only 63 points were required for the play-offs last season as the 8th placed team (Oxford) finished on 62.

When calculating the points required for the play-offs it's the 8th placed team's total you need to be looking at, not the the 7th.

Same goes for points required to take third place.

• Good post though Chairboy73. You have clearly shown the points achieved and it is a real good indicator. The 81 average for automatic promotion needs to be our target then. 25 more points.

• @Len This may be my bad maths, but if we'd finished on 63 points last season, wouldn't we have been in 8th place?

• 9 wins would almost certainly do it. From 17 games that is very, very attainable.

• @drcongo said:
    Len This may be my bad maths, but if we'd finished on 63 points last season, wouldn't we have been in 8th place?

Yes, but...

York who finished 7th with 71 points would have still finished 7th even if they only got 63 points.

Here's a December post from the old Gasroom which might help...

http://disc.yourwebapps.com/discussion.cgi?disc=31465;article=782221

• Sorry @drcongo, that was me above, logged in under the wrong name!

• But if a team (in addition to the top 7) had finished with 70 points they wouldn't have made the playoffs - so isn't it a bit misleading to say that 63 points were needed to make the playoffs?

• LenLen
    edited February 2015

But there wasn't another team in addition to the top seven. The fact remains the 8th placed team got 62 points last season so only 63 points were required to finish in the top seven.

• But if the 8th placed team had got 70 points, they wouldn't have finished in the top 7. I prefer the other way of looking at it.

• The 8th placed team didn't get 70 points They got 62.

• Your way of looking at it removes a top 7 side from the table and replaces them with another team who scored 63 points. An alternative way (and my preferred choice) is removing a team from outside the top 7 and replacing them with a team who scored 70 points.

The two different methods are equally reasonable, as far as I can see.

• LenLen
    edited February 2015

I disagree. I'm not removing anyone from the top seven. York who finished 7th with 71 points would have still finished 7th even if they only got 63 points.

• You are removing York on 71, and replacing them with York on 63.

• But Wycombe finished 22nd with 50 points, and we'd have finished 8th with 70 points.

• You could equally say Oxford would still have finished 8th even if they got as many as 70 points.

• @Len said:
    I disagree. I'm not removing anyone from the top seven. York who finished 7th with 71 points would have still finished 7th even if they only got 63 points.

Well yeah, but only York would have reached the playoffs with 63 points. Anyone else would have needed 72. Am I missing something?

• The original poster stated that the least number of points required for the play-offs was 65.

York only required 63 points to beat Oxford last season.

That's a fact.

• Well yes, but that's no reason to descend into a tedious debate over semantics. Would never have happened on the old Gasroom

• You can't imagine how much I wish I hadn't bothered.

• Arf....welcome to the new Gasroom, same as the old Gasroom

• Nothing much on the telly tonight

• @Len said:
    The original poster stated that the least number of points required for the play-offs was 65.

York only required 63 points to beat Oxford last season.

That's a fact.

But what was the least number of points Oxford would have required to reach the play-offs last season?

• You are clearly having difficulty grasping this, so let me put it another way for you.

If, like last season, the 8th placed team finishes with 62 points this season, how many points will be required to finish in the top seven?

(a) 63 or more

(b) 71

• LOL I understand it perfectly thanks.

If you phrase the question that way, then yes I agree the solution is 63 or more.
    But that isn't the question we are trying to answer. After all, if Oxford had won two more games and scored 68 points they still wouldn't have been in the play-offs. So what use is the 63 figure?

There are two ways of calculating the figure, both justifiable.

• This is my favourite thread.

• Surely had York lost a few more games and/or Oxford had won a couple more games, then the points from those matches would have gone to other teams, thus completely altering the entire league table? Therefore it's impossible to tell what the cut off point for the play offs would be.

Sorry....

• If two Gasroomers argue about a theoretical point in a forest, and no-one is around, does the increasingly violent tapping of their keyboards make a noise?

• @eric_plant said:
    If two Gasroomers argue about a theoretical point in a forest, and no-one is around, does the increasingly violent tapping of their keyboards make a noise?

Haha, excellent!

• @eric_plant said:
    If two Gasroomers argue about a theoretical point in a forest, and no-one is around, does the increasingly violent tapping of their keyboards make a noise?

I'm afraid I disagree with your premise Mr Plant - there wouldn't be a keyboard in the forest in the first place.

• I'm sure Tory_Goon you tell you all about how British foreign aid money is spent on buying iMacs for Amazonian villagers who don't even want them.