Skip to content

Is it just me?

Or does anyone else find they can't envisage us losing? I can't see past a performance like the first halves of both Plymouth legs meaning it's all over in 60 minutes. We have the players the manager and the tactics and a sense of this being a miraculous season. I have no nerves at all- and that doesn't feel quite right.

Comments

• And I'm aware I thought we hadn't the legs for the playoffs. How wrong I was.

• I do believe that Southend are the bookies favourites.

• Its not that they are the bookies favourites, just that more southend supporters have bet on their team winning. I don't think the odds are based on any analysis beyond that

• I don't think that can be quite true - the odds don't start at evens for every football match until bets come in. They must be a combination of bookmakers initial expectations and betting activity.

• They're so narrowly favourites, though. Southend - 4/5, Wycombe 10/11. That's like calling it 51-49 in Southend's favour.

We finished higher in the league and had superior results in the play off semis.

Southend get bigger crowds than us, they probably have a few more people chucking a tenner on the match and the bookies have adjusted their odds ever so slightly.

• They were favourites at the start of betting

• I'm perfectly happy with being the underdogs. Weren't Plymouth favourites in the semi? And didn't we beat them home and away?

• Oh and to get back to the original point, I can't or won't picture us losing in my head. It's just not an option for me. Have a feeling the team and Gaz will have pretty much the same mentality.

• This could go either way, but I worry for our last 25 minutes as the boys always seem to get tired around then. Hopefully our singing will keep their energy up!

• All we can do is our very best to urge our team on. Whatever the result I will remain proud of the efforts of everyone who has been involved with Wycombe Wanderers this season. Thank you all.

• @gizmo2501 said:
    This could go either way, but I worry for our last 25 minutes as the boys always seem to get tired around then. Hopefully our singing will keep their energy up!

Is this true, or is it based solely on the games against Plymouth? My recollection is that we've scored a fair few late goals either to win games (e.g. Northampton) or to draw them.

I think the pressure we came under in the Plymouth games was as much to do with the match position as anything else.

• I'll answer my own question. No, it isn't true.

Wycombe conceded only one late goal (defined as the 80th minute or later) last season which affected the result. That was the home game against Morecambe. In total we conceded three late goals all season, other than the two Plymouth games.

In contrast we scored 9, affecting the result in 5 games (3 draws and 2 wins).

Actually that's impressive in terms of our ability to keep going right to the end of the game.

• I think it will be a good game as both sides are decent...but I too have a feeling that our best team playing at their utmost (and who would not at wembley?) will win it.

• Ask me after the Morecambe game unlikely to get to the final let alone win, as they were a team on their last legs, having given so much. The first half against Plymouth on Thursday was IMO the best football I have seen them play this season, and with 10 days rest, I will be very surprised if they don't win on Saturday.

COYB

• Southend hit form at the end of the season when we suffered injuries and suspensions . We have picked up again for the last three games scoring goals with ease, we do need a bit of luck but believe we are the better side especially if Ingram is back. Southend believe they will win, personally think we will score a couple against them, they are more defensive so I think we have the edge especially as the team spirit is so great .

• If - a big "if" - we can keep Corr quiet we should probably be OK. But I have exactly the same feeling of confidence that @Manboobs has. Sometimes teams freeze at Wembley but I just don't get the sense that we are one of those teams. We will play to our best and our best is better than theirs.

• @Wig_and_Pen Corr gave us a lot of trouble at Roots Hall. We were very lucky to come away with a point.

• tbh if we can keep Corr quiet I think we will win the game, they don't have the goals in the team that we do .... Im going for a 3-1 win.

• "Is it just me", wandering if anyone has told "Pieface" of Big Brother, that his beloved Pilgrims lost to mighty blues?

On a serious note, I fell asleep watching "brawl ball" play offs between Stevenage and Southend. It was aweful.

The Playoffs at Plymouth was one sided commentary throughout, beyond ridiculous, so nothing new here, with bookies leaning on Saathend, what a surprise.

Let's show the Sky Sports, the Bookies and the rest that we our a great little family club, owned by the fans.

• @Chair said:
    All we can do is our very best to urge our team on. Whatever the result I will remain proud of the efforts of everyone who has been involved with Wycombe Wanderers this season. Thank you all.

As always with the chair. Well said that man.

• Love being the underdogs!