Skip to content

transfer speculation....

Comments

• Interesting though

• I hear nothing but gentle static.

• Ditto - not the best forum to choose for such eagerly awaited announcements

• Bean stays....

• First of four breaking news bits..so hopefully they will ramp up in interest!!

Jj bean and gaz new deals?

• gets alittle better...bean extenda contract. looks like at best only 1 new signing

• Jj 2 year deal ...great news

• Tremendous stuff. Well done Wycombe.

• Wonder if Mr Fairham had to design a new goalie shirt as part of his interview? Great news about JJ and Beano/Beanie. Glad I decided to wear my 'I was at work when Beanie Decided to Re-sign' T-Shirt today. Now GA has to find us some Premier League standard loanees...or he has no idea what he is doing.

• Luke signing an extension would be the best news.

• gaffer signs 5 year contract

• Wow. Excellent news.

• Thats an extraordinary statement of loyalty and to be commended

• @Malone said:
    First of four breaking news bits..so hopefully they will ramp up in interest!!

Jj bean and gaz new deals?

Yep then! Heck of a deal for gareth wow!!

• Great news all round

• o9 signiing would of been ideal

• Gaz signing good for both parties, he knows we will let him go if an offer comes in equally we get good compensation and further more will encourage more players to sign.

• Pleased re. GA and JJ, Bean less so - but context is everything and much will depend on the other signings we make.

• That deal for Ainsworth is the signing of the summer for me, no matter who else we sign. It’s the start of a new 5 year plan and is key for the future of our club.

It should serve as the platform for Gaz and the backroom team to continue the excellent work in building a good league one team.

• Excellent news. Shows stability and commitment on both sides but undermines a favourite gasroom summer staple. If we cannot worry about a team tapping up the manager...it will have to be why oh why did we not sign luke up for ten years.

• I dance with you, Yak! In the short term it is a hugely positive show of commitment that stabilizes the transition to League 1. In the longer term a club with enough financial clout could of course buy him out of it one day...
    Great news all round today, so glad I gave it a listen. What a privilege to be a Chairboy in these exciting times. Takes me back to the days of St. Martin. Added Bonus: makes for a looooong summer:)

• I'll add a note of ambivalence to the five year deal. If - and I neither hope nor expect this to be the case - but ****if **** we get to Xmas and we're rock bottom of the league, putting in listless performances with no plan B or confidence the team can turn it round, then we'll be in a bit of a pickle. I'd have waited till then to offer Gareth a super long new contract, once he's proven his ability to manage at this higher level, which we all hope he can and will do.

I'm a little concerned that Andrew Howard might have offered Gareth this long contract with little repercussions for Howard himself. Unless he's also tied himself in to a five year deal to stay as sporting director, or is willing to cover any compensation claim if we have to terminate the deal early, he'll be able to walk away at any stage and leave the club to deal with the financial and emotional fall out if we have to let Gareth go for any reason. Given the financial outlay this could involve, I hope the club's board has had a full discussion over the fiduciary impact of this contract and it hasn't just been nodded through.

• Ainsworth has done enough to deserve the extension already. If we are struggling at Christmas that’s a short term blip we will overcome through team spirit and loyalty, not knee jerk short term decision making.

I’ll be very surprised if Ainsworth is still here in five years.

• You seem to be suggesting Aloysius that if wwfc are in the bottom two at Christmas, you would advocate sacking the manager. Have I understood you right?

What about if we battle relegation all season, never higher than sixth bottom never lower than third bottom. When do you sack him?

On the last day of the season we just go down. Do you sack him now?

• Let’s forget the negative hypotheticals at least for a couple of days and bask in the warm glow of a genuinely strong and stable set-up at a very special football club.

• I love it all - I was on the fence with Bean, but if we can afford him in addition to all the other signings, I can only imagine his presence being good for morale. GA and JJ news is fantastic, of course. I genuinely feel a couple more signings and some loanees sprinkled in, and we are set.

Without the money of others, this notable team spirit, stability and unity is an asset that should not be underestimated.

• Don't worry @Wendoverman, we're very near to "Where's my season ticket" month.

• Dev I'm not sure how much clarification my post really needs. Sacking a manager when a club loses confidence that he can turn it around has always been an option for clubs and one we have ourselves used successfully during the Taylor and Waddock eras. My fear is that this is an option that's now been removed from the club because it would be unaffordable, and that is a decision that may have been taken by one man who can just walk away when he's bored of the role he's in, leaving others to deal with the consequences. If under your scenario we still have a strong chance of staying up then I wouldn't imagine Gareth would come under any pressure to go, we all want to see him succeed. He has done well to achieve the goals set in the first four years of the five year plan. All I'm saying is that I would feel more confident if we had waited to award him another long term contract once he had shown that he was in track to meet the fifth season's goal - stability in League One. I get that I may be in a minority of one on this board on this, but there we go.

• @alosyius. Could easily be covered by some caveats to the contract and I would be surprised if it wasn't? Just as some player contracts are negotiated with win bonuses & relegation release clauses.