Skip to content

Defending the posts - a question

So many pundits question when teams don't defend the post at corners. And similary ask why teams don't keep a player up front at corners. Surely someone can explain the logic. Can't they ask a manager?

Comments

• I'm sure I will get slaughtered for this but I'm a fan of leaving two or three players up field when defending a corner especially if you have a keeper that is more than comfortable coming a long way to collect the ball and defenders that are good in the air.

If you have two or theee up field it normally means they will leave three or four back and releives the pressure in your defensive area allowing the keeper to come and collect. If, like Jamal Blackman that can also throw and kick a long way you can quickly turn defenders into attack.

Some times you have to be unconventional and think differently to get reaults.

• Wasn't it Tranmere back in the days of John Aldridge and Pat Nevin who used to leave 3 three up on the halfway line at corners?

• edited June 2018

How many times has Akinfenwa put in a great defensive header from an opposition corner? Leaving one quick attacker up and having the rest back works for me.

• edited June 2018

I would leave Tyson and CMS up front at corners. The opposition would have to leave pacy defenders back plus those two would conserve energy for their attacking duties.

• It’s seems a good idea to leave 3 upfront for corners, but what if the team taking the corner doesn’t keep any players back? You’ve potentially got 2 players that can’t be man marked, so you have to rely on the zonal marking system which can go all kinds of wrong at our level.
    For the attacking team you make sure you have at least one player to be in front of the keeper at all times to stop him coming for the balls and distributing quickly, plus players switched on enough to run back if the ball in isn’t decent (or commit the odd cheeky foul to stop
    Play)
    If the attacking team have a player that is consistant at set piece situation you could be leaving yourself open for headers at goal from the penalty spot - look how effective a ball to that area is for England.

Too far for a keeper to come and collect, close enough for towering headers to be difficult to save.

• Do you honestly think any team would be mad enough to leave three strikers unmarked on the halfway line particularly one with pace like Tyson.

• Mexico did this against Germany. The reasoning being that it would force them to keep more men, who are invariably taller than their Mexican counterparts out of their box.

• @mooneyman said:
    Do you honestly think any team would be mad enough to leave three strikers unmarked on the halfway line particularly one with pace like Tyson.

I never said leaving the unmarked, just that you wouldn’t need to leave 3 on 3 back. If a teams well drilled at the “dark arts” two would be enough.

Players in the box stopping quick distribution by the keeper.
    Players willing to commit little trips (and get booked) as the breakaway is on to stop it.
    One of the two players staying back heads directly back towards goal, the other one to takes out whoever the cleared ball is passed to.

• As a registered member of the goalkeepers' union, my own preference is to have a player on the back post, but none on the front. It leaves it clear for in-swingers to the front post but allows me take charge of the situation rather than expecting the defender to do something with it. Or not. Instead, the player who would be there stands on the edge of the 6-yard box nearest the corner and is nearly always first in line for mis-hit / low drilled corners, which at the level of football I play at, is reasonably frequent.

• I look forward to the day when I hear a commentator say: '...and of course it's Stoat-Goggles between the sticks...'

• Fast clearance won the match for the Belgians today do you’re right in your theory