Skip to content

If Barnsley came knocking.....

QPR thread highlights that GA is now joint favourite for that job. Perhaps worthy of a thread of its own. Certain amount of credibility as we know that they wanted to speak to GA the last time around (as I believe I mentioned a couple of weeks ago). Since then he has earned a promotion. Hard to see why they wouldn't now be interested, buoyed perhaps by positive words from McCarthy and ex-player Scowen.

Assuming for a moment they do come knocking, what would you do if you were Ainsworth?

For: Relatively well off financially, seen as second favourites for promotion, QPR job now gone - most likely chance of jumping straight to the Championship, star may now be as high as it will get at Wycombe, more money, if he succeeds there too, world is his oyster.

Against: Safe job at Wycombe, Desire to finish job, need to move house, same division, QPR job may well be back on the market before end of next season, less loyalty there if he struggles.

Tough decision if the opportunity is offered. On balance I think if GA really dies have ambitions to manage at higher level , then he would probably and with some regrets say yes.

Poll not found

Comments

• by the way, does the edit button no longer work? no intention to include a poll.

• We can never know, although I get that if one weren't allowed to speculate pointlessly on an internet forum, what else would you do.

On an (admittedly dull) point though, I don't think he'd necessarily have to uproot the family - given that teams don't train every day there is precedent for staying near the team during the week and then going back to the family home for the rest of the week - I think that's what Paul Lambert used to do, for example.

My guess is that we'll lose GA sooner rather than later, although whether it's to Barnsley or to someone else, who knows.

• Miserable life that though PBo. Alright if its temporary but not for any length of time.
      I used to have the weekly spectacle of watching an ex-Plymouth manager meandering his way back to his lonely flat (just up road from my office window) after an all-night bender. he didn't last long.

• Dev remains absolutely desperate for Ainsworth to leave

Quite a sad spectacle

• I think its safe to say that GA does have ambitions to manage at a higher level and to be fair I think a club like Barnsley would be a good fit for him. Whether the timing is right for him now I'm not so sure. Assuming that finance isn't a primary motive for him (and if it is what's he been doing staying with us for so long) is this really a statement of ambition? In some respect he's got more to gain reputationally by staying with us and keeping us up on a low budget than he would if he went to Barnsley and got an (expected) promotion.

I actually think any decision he makes will be more based on what he thinks Anthony Howard will do over the next year or so. From afar it seems they do have a very good relationship and while Howard is reasonably closely involved my gut instinct is that GA will hang around. If Howard decides to fade further into the background I think then GA will start to look at new pastures.

There is always the possibility of course that if Barnsley do come knocking we politely tell them to go away as he is under contract (which I believe we did last time?).

• I don't think my views have changed much in the last five threads talking about this.

Loyalty has been such a major part of the current success but at some stage he will move or be moved on. The club will continue.

• @DevC Barnsley came knocking in February and were knocked back by both wwfc and Ainsworth.

• Not sure I would agree with you Booker that the football world would see Wycombe finishing 18th as a better achievement in a potential future manager than getting two consecutive promotions with different clubs (however true your statement might be)

Eric's desperation to get a personal dig in every time just makes him look ever more sad and ridiculous (IMHO of course)

MO'N stuck around longer than many expected and didn't do him any harm. I hope GA does the same and when he does move on chooses carefully the right role. Barnsley does seem a decent fit though (apart from geography). Lets hope they choose a journeyman like Simon Grayson instead.

• I think he'd say, even if offered, not a big enough step to merit the risk of a move, thankfully.

• One day everyone presently at the club and indeed on the Gasroom will either move on or die. What do we all think about this, what can we as a community do about it and where do you think we will all move on to?
      Heaven? Hell? Barnsley? Will it happen before the fixture list is released...

• I don't see GA going to Barnsley, they have made alot of mistakes with managers and Andrew Howard trust GA and vice versa and that stands for alot.

• Trevor alot?

• Not because GA not good enough then richie? That makes a change.

• If GA stays then he has atleast a full season to have a crack at League One without a huge amount of pressure. If he goes to Barnsley and doesn’t hit the ground running he could easily be out of a job in six months time.

I don’t see him being able to justify the risk personally. If we had not got promoted then I expect it would be a no brainer for him. Likewise if QPR came calling.

• As many of us have said before...unless someone comes in with a massive money deal that is impossible to turn down...I think, considering the rollercoaster ride he's had with us, Gaz would prefer the challenge of a League One campaign from a position of safety goodwill and comfort with players that he knows rather than parachuting into a club demanding immediate results and getting the tin tack by Christmas.
      Of course, I could be wrong.

• @Wendoverman said:
      One day everyone presently at the club and indeed on the Gasroom will either move on or die. What do we all think about this, what can we as a community do about it and where do you think we will all move on to?
      Heaven? Hell? Barnsley? Will it happen before the fixture list is released...

As a fan owned club we should be told the time, place and method of our deaths.

• @MindlessDrugHoover everyone knows it’s the hope that kills you!

• @MindlessDrugHoover possibly the one thing the over 60s and season ticket holders don't want to get first dibs on.

• @ForeverBlue I think we all know that ultimately Wycombe will be the death of us.

• Hopefully it's bollocks. Grant McCann now 1-4 with Skybet, GA at 7-1. We all know the odds are being swung violently by any bet over a fiver, though...

• The Sun article/Sky report lacks plausibility. Peculiar to describe GA as Head Coach for starters and sloppily inaccurate to say that “..,He was (sic) one of the longest reigning managers in the EFL after he was appointed as caretaker manager of Wycombe back in 2012.”

• I think he will stay at Wycombe at least for another season after getting us up

• @Shev said:
      Hopefully it's bollocks. Grant McCann now 1-4 with Skybet, GA at 7-1. We all know the odds are being swung violently by any bet over a fiver, though...

Sky probably doing their usual trick though. I don't believe anything SkyBet says. Sky Sources are always false so loads bet on a certain outcome only for it not to happen and suddenly Sky have all this money.... Quite clever of them really.

• Just read on Twitter that Barnsley in talks with gaz..reported by a football agent

• Must be true then....not, he won’t go to Barnsley

• Barnsley local paper reporting their interest along with Shrewsbury's Hirst and (oddly to me) McCann.

I suspect he is on the shortlist. Whether number one who knows. If so whether he would want job who knows.

• Gaz still 8-1, McCann 1-8 on.

• Actually forget Hurst.
      Off to Ipswich.

• The grass isn’t always greener, I think GA is better staying for at least this season